What is a fullrange loudspeaker (an explanation)? - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2012, 06:05 PM   #91
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
I made a proposal like this at Audio Circle and was almost banned. I never posted there again!

Bob

Wow very unfriendly and uncool in my book. You post what you have questions about or need help with? I thought that is what these forums are all about helping each other out?
Old 11th November 2012, 06:43 PM   #92
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
It seems to me there is some confusion as to what is a fullrange speaker for the purposes of this forum.

A fullrange loudspeaker is one that uses a single (or multiple) driver(s) to cover the complete (or a significant portion of the) frequency range. These can sometimes be "helped" with a tweeter(s) or a woofer(s). Often, the fullranger covers from 100Hz to 15kHz, (or a similar range based on the particular fullranger or wide range driver being used).

So folks, if seeking help for a typical multi-way loudspeaker project, please post under "multiway", not "fullrange". It can help those seeking help to end up where they need to be.

For mods: please make this a sticky if you feel suitable.

Thanks

First of off thank you for posting about this topic. I would have to say that in all my years that no driver is really run range. If you use the smaller drivers it lacks low end and has to crossed over. If you use the bigger drivers they lack top end sparkle and the lowest notes. So for me a perfect project would be the Visaton stella light. You get the best of both worlds with out a tweeter or super tweeter. This is my next project I am going to build this project for my family room. It will be used for light t.v. dutys and back round music and movies. I will change the 6 1/2 woofer to a 8 inch woofer and do some changes in the box volume inside. I will say this after having so many fullrange drivers over the years.Testing and buying and selling and losing money. That There is not a perfect driver or (holy grail) So I stopped looking and testing drivers. The best instruments and listening devices is your ears. My holy grail is my ears. Now I have heard and used one fullrange range driver that is a 3 inch fullrange driver. It is as close as I could come to the perfect fullrange driver That I could live with the rest of my life but, lack low end. It is The fostex ff 85wk drivers. For the record, I think adding a lower support woofer is a great idea and to me its still fullrange from 350hz all the way up with out a tweeter using a 3 inch fullrange driver . Jm
Old 11th November 2012, 06:55 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
So for me a perfect project would be the Visaton stella light..................................... The best instruments and listening devices is your ears. My holy grail is my ears
Indeed, we have one ear on the front and another lateral

Old 11th November 2012, 07:48 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
How about "No cross-over in the 300-3kHz band"?

Bob
Bob that is where I start my mid-range planning; so that wouldn't work for me.
I would need an octave in each direction as a minimum.
That's Vifa P-13 territory and no-one would regard the P-13 as a Full-Range
Old 11th November 2012, 08:52 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

How about no crossover in the 150hz-6000hz band. Wide range. Fidelity first.
Old 11th November 2012, 09:10 PM   #96
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrackmixer View Post
Sorry, but I cannot give up either ultimate levels or dynamics - hence why I don't think XO less speaker are for everyone.
No speaker is for everyone. The addition of helper woofers below ~300 Hz goes a really long way toward providing it all.(ie down where wavelengths are long enuff that many of the evils of XOs can be made to go away)

Watch the loudness... it is easy to get into hearing damaging levels.

dave
Old 11th November 2012, 09:19 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

I don't understand the purpose of this thread.
Are we trying to set a standard of what constitutes a full range loudspeaker?
So that people know what sections to post their inquiries, topics and build threads?
Because if that's the goal, I think this might become the longest thread on DIYaudio!
Old 11th November 2012, 09:20 PM   #98
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
The fostex ff 85wk drivers. For the record, I think adding a lower support woofer is a great idea and to me its still fullrange from 350hz all the way up with out a tweeter using a 3 inch fullrange driver
Pretty much what i'm listening to now. FF85wKeN in µFonkenSET with a same footprint helper woofer. It works REALLY well with a PLLXO, am working on a passive XO now.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 12th November 2012, 06:14 AM   #99
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Sorry bb,
Your post led me to believe you needed that elementary of an explanation.
I would rather be corrected than continue being ignorant!

The sad part is, I knew the Tannoy dual-concentric drivers had a crossover, so in my head that obviously meant they couldn't have been a full range. Then these guys come along and say no crossover and I guess I got caught up in their marketing.

That said, they are a nice sounding pair of speakers, but luckily for me I went home to my VTLs and enjoyed them more
Old 12th November 2012, 07:32 PM   #100
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Mods, please kill this thread .

guys,

It stills seems the typical over complication is occurring. All in the name of simplification. Only 58 posts since my last and the same stuff is happening (semantics).

Hence I am asking mods to please kill this thread.

Hide this!Advertise here!