Fostex Fullrange satellite speakers and center. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2012, 09:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex Fullrange satellite speakers and center.

Hi All.

I'm looking at buying or building small bookshelf speakers.
The idea is to use them with a small amp with the computer or as surrounds for my home theatre systems.
I've read good things about the FF85WK using ufonken enclosures, and since i'm going to japan soon i could buy the drivers there for $35 each (not too bad and would be twice as much in australia)

I wonder..
how do these compare to fostex amplified monitors like the PM0.3 and 0.4? is it worth the hassle of building an ufonken or would it be only a small gain?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by aussiebuddha; 6th November 2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 6th November 2012, 01:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I heard the fostex 0.5 and 1 and I thought they were ok but not great. I haven't heard the smaller ones. I opted for KRK monitor speakers on my computer.
I heard all of the FF..WK series, and to my taste the 85, while refined, simply has not enough bass when used on its own. I recommend to check the larger 105 and 125 instead. All a matter of personal taste!
Old 6th November 2012, 05:15 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaerts View Post
I heard the fostex 0.5 and 1 and I thought they were ok but not great. I haven't heard the smaller ones. I opted for KRK monitor speakers on my computer.
I heard all of the FF..WK series, and to my taste the 85, while refined, simply has not enough bass when used on its own . I recommend to check the larger 105 and 125 instead. All a matter of personal taste!

Agreed - makes for a great mid-tweet in a FAST ( i.e. 2-way crossed low), but for near-field (computer etc) and with gentle EQ that doesn't tax its excursion the 85WK, and the microFonken in particular, can be very satisfying

Aside from playing around early on with the RS40-1197, the 103 -105 size is one we've not heard much, but I'm a few days away from having a pair of Vampyrs ready to make some noise - will be a substantial different presentation from the microFs
Old 6th November 2012, 09:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I heard all of the FF..WK series, and to my taste the 85, while refined, simply has not enough bass when used on its own. I recommend to check the larger 105 and 125 instead. All a matter of personal taste!
I have 2XFE127E in their recommended enclosure I could reuse.
Do you think they'd be suitable for something small like the ufonken?

or does the FF line have smaller enclosure requirements?
Old 6th November 2012, 10:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiebuddha View Post
I have 2XFE127E in their recommended enclosure I could reuse.
Do you think they'd be suitable for something small like the ufonken?
It'd be quite a trick to shoehorn a 127 into a uF, but there is a milli that works well for it, as well of course as the original "prime"

Quote:
or does the FF line have smaller enclosure requirements?
generally, yes - I'm not sure if plans are floating around for a mF125WK, or should I say at least can't find drawing for same
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Milli127.pdf (317.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 6th November 2012, 11:57 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
generally, yes - I'm not sure if plans are floating around for a mF125WK, or should I say at least can't find drawing for same
The publically released plan for the FF125wk is the Classic Golden Ratio dFonken125 (on fugal-phile.com), the milliSize mFonken125 is officially part of the paid planset, but given that all the millis are the same size, pretty much with tuning changed by different width vent spacers, one would only need to look at a picture of the mFonken125 and figure it backwards , so if you mail me i can tell you what changes from the plans Chris posted.

dave
Old 7th November 2012, 07:56 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help.

Do you think this would work for a Home Theatre setup?

2x FF125WK in millifonkens as fronts
3x FF85WK in microfonkens as center and surrounds

This would probably be my ideal in regards to size.

However to even consider doing this I would need to sell my Bass reflex FE127Es and Wharfedale 9 speakers to fund + no space in my unit for so many speakers.
Old 7th November 2012, 08:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I recommend to use the same driver for the three front channels. Otherwise there will be a tonality difference.
Old 7th November 2012, 08:13 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I recommend to use the same driver for the three front channels. Otherwise there will be a tonality difference.
Hi Talaerts, I was just thinking about that as I got the email notification :-)
Anyone knows any good plans for FF125WK as a "usual" horizontal mounted center channel?

Thats my problem with DIY speakers. I can do the boxes with no problems (father works in a furniture factory, and he can computer cut the wood panels for me, all I need is to put it together. I have no knowledge to actually design the box though)
Old 7th November 2012, 05:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiebuddha View Post
Hi Talaerts, I was just thinking about that as I got the email notification :-)
Anyone knows any good plans for FF125WK as a "usual" horizontal mounted center channel?

Thats my problem with DIY speakers. I can do the boxes with no problems (father works in a furniture factory, and he can computer cut the wood panels for me, all I need is to put it together.I have no knowledge to actually design the box though)
that's what your friends on the forum are for - lots of helpful advice - some of us even agree- well some of the time

it shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a compact enough enclosure for the center for the 125WK

Hide this!Advertise here!