Fostex Fullrange satellite speakers and center.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All.

I'm looking at buying or building small bookshelf speakers.
The idea is to use them with a small amp with the computer or as surrounds for my home theatre systems.
I've read good things about the FF85WK using ufonken enclosures, and since i'm going to japan soon i could buy the drivers there for $35 each (not too bad and would be twice as much in australia)

I wonder..
how do these compare to fostex amplified monitors like the PM0.3 and 0.4? is it worth the hassle of building an ufonken or would it be only a small gain?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I heard the fostex 0.5 and 1 and I thought they were ok but not great. I haven't heard the smaller ones. I opted for KRK monitor speakers on my computer.
I heard all of the FF..WK series, and to my taste the 85, while refined, simply has not enough bass when used on its own. I recommend to check the larger 105 and 125 instead. All a matter of personal taste!

I heard the fostex 0.5 and 1 and I thought they were ok but not great. I haven't heard the smaller ones. I opted for KRK monitor speakers on my computer.
I heard all of the FF..WK series, and to my taste the 85, while refined, simply has not enough bass when used on its own . I recommend to check the larger 105 and 125 instead. All a matter of personal taste!

Agreed - makes for a great mid-tweet in a FAST ( i.e. 2-way crossed low), but for near-field (computer etc) and with gentle EQ that doesn't tax its excursion the 85WK, and the microFonken in particular, can be very satisfying

Aside from playing around early on with the RS40-1197, the 103 -105 size is one we've not heard much, but I'm a few days away from having a pair of Vampyrs ready to make some noise - will be a substantial different presentation from the microFs

I heard all of the FF..WK series, and to my taste the 85, while refined, simply has not enough bass when used on its own. I recommend to check the larger 105 and 125 instead. All a matter of personal taste!

I have 2XFE127E in their recommended enclosure I could reuse.
Do you think they'd be suitable for something small like the ufonken?

or does the FF line have smaller enclosure requirements?

I have 2XFE127E in their recommended enclosure I could reuse.
Do you think they'd be suitable for something small like the ufonken?
It'd be quite a trick to shoehorn a 127 into a uF, but there is a milli that works well for it, as well of course as the original "prime"

or does the FF line have smaller enclosure requirements?
generally, yes - I'm not sure if plans are floating around for a mF125WK, or should I say at least can't find drawing for same

Attachments

• Milli127.pdf
    317.7 KB · Views: 81
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
generally, yes - I'm not sure if plans are floating around for a mF125WK, or should I say at least can't find drawing for same

The publically released plan for the FF125wk is the Classic Golden Ratio dFonken125 (on fugal-phile.com), the milliSize mFonken125 is officially part of the paid planset, but given that all the millis are the same size, pretty much with tuning changed by different width vent spacers, one would only need to look at a picture of the mFonken125 and figure it backwards :), so if you mail me i can tell you what changes from the plans Chris posted.

dave

Thanks for the help.

Do you think this would work for a Home Theatre setup?

2x FF125WK in millifonkens as fronts
3x FF85WK in microfonkens as center and surrounds

This would probably be my ideal in regards to size.

However to even consider doing this I would need to sell my Bass reflex FE127Es and Wharfedale 9 speakers to fund + no space in my unit for so many speakers.

I recommend to use the same driver for the three front channels. Otherwise there will be a tonality difference.

Hi Talaerts, I was just thinking about that as I got the email notification :)
Anyone knows any good plans for FF125WK as a "usual" horizontal mounted center channel?

Thats my problem with DIY speakers. I can do the boxes with no problems (father works in a furniture factory, and he can computer cut the wood panels for me, all I need is to put it together. I have no knowledge to actually design the box though)

Hi Talaerts, I was just thinking about that as I got the email notification :)
Anyone knows any good plans for FF125WK as a "usual" horizontal mounted center channel?

Thats my problem with DIY speakers. I can do the boxes with no problems (father works in a furniture factory, and he can computer cut the wood panels for me, all I need is to put it together.I have no knowledge to actually design the box though)

that's what your friends on the forum are for - lots of helpful advice - some of us even agree- well some of the time

it shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a compact enough enclosure for the center for the 125WK

Thanks Chrisb. I think planet10 mentioned something along these lines in this thread? http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/205403-looking-ideas-center-channel.html

Have you guys got anywhere with a smaller milli fonken sized horizontal center channel?

I've dort of done at leastone. If you need it horizontally oriented, turn iy 90 degrees and (optionally) add a vent on the other end -- keeping the total opening the same.

dave
The format that came to be categorized as "milli" is narrow enough that turning on their sides they work very well for this application.

I'm presently working on a pair of Vampyrs (FF 105WK) - without a SB these would be interesting as a horizontal centre and stand for screen

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm presently working on a pair of Vampyrs (FF 105WK) - without a SB these would be interesting as a horizontal centre and stand for screen

Similar to how this Aiko is being used by a small speaker manufacturer in Ontario.

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• Aiko-centre.jpg
    Aiko-centre.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 3,159
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.