The Monolith ( Dayton 8) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2012, 02:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The Monolith ( Dayton 8)

One of the new projects I am working on with a great group of people. Full range with helper woofers. 20hz-22khz. Flat
You can also place in your own favorite driver at the top.. not limited to the Dayton 8 FR
Best sounding full range driver speaker ever!

Jon P

Last edited by jonparkhurst; 6th November 2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Added Info
Old 6th November 2012, 03:17 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There are not enuff names for speakers ... Mileva & Demetri are my Monolith series.

How do the servo drivers do OB?

dave
Old 6th November 2012, 05:09 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

it certianly looks nice, and I've always liked the sound of whizzer cones.
Old 6th November 2012, 02:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I am really happy with the servo drivers. I have used everything from the old ULD 18, ULD 15 from Velodyne, MK 200 and MK 300, Boston Acoustic and now the Servo 12 and servo 8's from GR Research and Brian at Rhythmik Audio. I am amazed at how quick they play with all kinds of music. I have a set of AV123 15's that I use for home theater and I am actually happier with a set of servo 12's than the 15's. Output is still there and the servos since they are computer controlled are flat to 20. Now with both the 12 and 8 you do bring down the overall output level as you become flat at 20hz ,but not enough to really make a difference to me. The room gain compensates for that in the theater set up. Open Baffle they still sound just as good, with that said, they do load the room differently and the theater style room punch is there but not as overly pronounced. I actually like the servo in the sealed for the theater and the OB for two channel music. I have noticed that my sound stage and imaging is more defined, wider, shutting your eyes never felt so in the moment when it comes to Neil Young's Massy Hall album. You can easily put up a visual representation of where all the parts are. The subs can easily go up to 300, but I am setting them well below 200 and most of the time they will be even lower. I am aware that after about 80-100hz I can pick out subs more easily in location, but since it is two channel, doesn't matter. I will continue to use the servos, the cost difference is not at all significant for what you get. They also provide lots of options and small cabinet volumes to deal with. There will be a smaller servo amp coming at the first of the year with an 8 inch width dimension to help out people who like smaller front baffles. I have used your 85 and 125 that you sent me in this set up. I used a lexan blank to make the baffle smaller to input the smaller drivers. I was really happy with the 125, the 85 struggled in OB to get down to the xo points, even though the subs can reach 300 (to high for me) it could not handle it. It will be going in a fonken... Jon P
Old 6th November 2012, 02:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Images to this site.

Images without your driver in the top...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2012-11-06 at 8.40.13 AM.jpg (494.0 KB, 201 views)
Old 7th November 2012, 09:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default More

Hey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (126.7 KB, 120 views)
Old 7th November 2012, 09:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default More

More
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (116.0 KB, 118 views)
Old 7th November 2012, 09:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Fun

More
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (139.7 KB, 118 views)
Old 7th November 2012, 10:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

what make are the full range 8's on top?

edit

dayton, my mistake. they have exatly the same basket and cones as my Guide sound units.

Last edited by gafhenderson; 7th November 2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 7th November 2012, 10:18 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

They are the Dayton 8 FR but you can use and FR driver you want in the top end. That's the point of the supercomputer xo. Choices

Hide this!Advertise here!