Driver selection, please help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a driver to make a line array with 4 to 8 driver par side. The speaker will be working down to 80Hz where they will be cut with a 1' order filter. So I guess the have to have a relative high X-max. I need some help to find the right driver.

Here is a list of some of the drivers I have been looking at, any thought.....

Merrill DCA5.5
Dayton RS100S-8
Fountek 89EX
Vifa TG9FD10/04
Visaton B80
Omnes Audio BB3.01
CSS FR125SR
Tang Band W4-1337SDF
Tang Band W4-1052SDF

Thanks in advance
Frank

A few general thoughts

-80Hz is ambitious for the 3in drivers unless you're planning to Eq them. A 1st order high-pass at 80Hz (presumably active or passive line-level) isn't going to help a huge amount on that score.

-If an array is the object, you'll really need more than 4 drivers per channel

-The drivers you list are all reasonable; you might want to add the Mark Audio CHR-70.3 and Tang Band W4-1320 to the list for consideration.

Last edited:
Presumably because 3in - 3 1/2in units have an edge for array purposes over the 4in, especially if the latter have a large frame. That said, if you're a few feet back (albeit still in the fresnel zone), there shouldn't be much in it, and the 4in counter with superior LF performance if you're not planning on using large numbers.

Thanks for your replays

You properly right, need a lager numbers of driver if using small units. The combined areal should be around the same as a 8" unit, to be on the safe side.

I found this link to the CSS unit it seems to be alter a bit, it has a lower Qt.
It might work perfectly in a closed or a large vented cabinet.
CSS Breitbandlautsprecher FR125SR

as Scott says, it might be tricky to find a large number of these if a line array is intended, and FWIW, I had much more success with these in sealed or small and highly resistively loaded ( quasi aperiodic) enclosures - when they exceed their excursion limits, you'll sure know about it

...not to hijack this thread, but I have a question on the very same CCS 125s. I'm planning on using the 4 CCS 125's for q pair of "Alegria" (plans on the P10 site). The base of this unit will be a woofer hooked up with a low pass xo.

If the woofer base of the speaker is vented, should I consider constructing the 125/tweeter section of Alegria's sealed instead of ported even though the plan calls for ported? Even if the woofer base is sealed, should I still consider constructing the Alegria's sealed?

Yes, I agree with Chris. As much as I like to support CSS, I don't think this is the driver for you. Chris, what else does Bob have? Would the 126 do it or does that need a tweeter?
I've only heard the VWR126 at the August event in conjunction with tweeters (either in TM or MTM ) - I think Bob may have posted measurements that would indicate that , yes they need them

EDIT: Did I read that right. Those are $128 ea?

Ok, moving right along...
yup, they're not cheap, but were never intended as a budget driver, nor I think for line arrays

but hey, there are guys using multiples of Jordan JX92 or JXR6s, so budget doesn't necessarily constrain everyone

I don't think the VWR126 can be used without a tweeter, so I can't use it....I am looking for a system that can out preform my existing systems, for the moment I am using Gradient AX8 mounted in a 62" MLT but also used Fostex FE167E, F200A and Alpair 12 in the same cabinets.

Any other drivers out there that might be of interest....

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.