Markaudio CHP-70 a good replacement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I have an old Omega super 3 speakers that used the Fostex fe127e drivers.
Due to age, the fe127e drivers were damage. I also came to know that Fostex has discontinued their fe127e drivers.
I'm thinking of replacing it with the Markaudio CHP-70 drivers.
I'm using the Almarro A205A MkII integrated- a 2 x 5-watt SEP.

I have a few questions:
1) Omega super 3, BR box volume is about 18 liters, can it be use for the CHP-70 drivers?
2) CHP-70, SPL is 86db, compare to fe127e, SPL is 91db. I’m not sure whether my Almarro able to drive it.
3) Any other suggestion?

Thanks.

Gilbert

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
18 litres is perhaps a bit big for CHP-70 (original)

That volume would be suitable for:

1/ a pair of CHP-70.2, CHR-70.3, Alpair 7.3, EL70, Fostex FF125wk (ie 2 perbox)
2/ Alpair 10.2
3/ Alpair 12.2p
4/ Fostex FF165wk

You couldalways full it up with brinks to decrease the volume, which would allow FF125 with only the need to redo the vent -- every other option requires reworking the baffle.

dave

Hi Dave, yes, Louis has posted that the DIY version of the RS5 driver and specs will be available soon. I got a pair a few weeks ago of the regular version (if it's different, I don't know how).

Since Louis is doing a trade-in discount for people returning the previous MQ5 driver, it makes me wonder what he'll be doing with them...

Has anyone built a multi full range driver set up helper on the bottom to bring a little in ur face... Like mark7.3 with fostex ff85wk and a helper on the bottom like a 12pw ma... Thanks , Dan

The advantage of a single driver is no interference problems.
With two vertical drivers in a baffle there is only one horizontal plane where there is no extinction of sound with varying frequency. Together with the stereo vertical 'sweet' plane this would result in a sweetspot.
Say we have two fullrange drivers 15 cm apart in the front baffle. Listening perpendicular (on-axis) to one of them at 2 m distance would cause complete extinction at 30 kHz.
At one m listening distance at 15kHz.
But with 1 m apart on the baffle extinction would already be complete at only 720 Hz.
So I would argue that it is always a good idea to put multiple drivers as close as possible and that for example two CHR70/CHN70 should do quite nicely very close in a baffle if used at some distance (not as desktop speakers).
Cheers

Yes, at the same time... my thoughts are, I enjoy the sound of the A7.3, But I mainly listen at every low levels. So a little more punch on the bottom and a little more upfront or a couple seats closer to the stage. I've had the A7.3s in open baffle, Pencil and one of Marks bookshelf designs. The Pencil had the bass, but seemed a little laid back. I also believe the materials I used have something to do with it.. Chipboard... wantedto practice my woodworking before buying good ply. Right now I have the a7s back in the bookshelf sitting on top of my BR with a PS220 set up like a jumper.... Not bad sound seems to be a little fuller... For me if I like it or really like it, iT takes at least a couple of weeks to really set in. I don't have a listening room at this time and I listen off axis. There's music play in my home more then not.. Any proven Idea's or even theories would be appreciated. thanks. Dan

Yes, at the same time. My thought is a little more punch bottom and a couple seats closer to the stage. I don't have a listening room at this time. We Also listen off axis. I've had the 7.3s in Pencils, Open baffle and One of Marks bookshelf and so far the bookshelf is what sound the best to my ears.thanks, Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.