half sphere open baffles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think you misunderstand me. The baffle step would be different, since it is a sphere, but the resonant response of the box would most closely resemble a u- frame in practice, so that might be a reasonable place to start modeling, as opposed to trying to calculate the resonances if a half sphere, which would be pretty complex.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I thought about making spheres with a punching balloon and laying up fiberglass on the outside.
3/8" of fiberglass with that constant curve would be extremely strong.
You then would just need to split it in half and dampen the inside to prevent ringing.

given that i have the cnc millstation at my disposal i'll have it cut a series of progressively smaller rings and glue them all together to form the half sphere then mill it smooth but i think i'll try doing a before and after as in just the stack of rings raw then milled and maybe the same for the inside just to see what the results are

a lot of sense in the H frame analogy, i think. As far as front and rear radiation pattern, i think it would behave as a U or H frame, but the cut off would be governed by the front to rear path length. Im not a dipole expert though, so im just making semmi educated guesses. Would be interesting seeing the results. I think i recall a thread here where buoys where used as a form or mould for hemispheres.

what a coincidence, I thought today of this Idea :D

maybe you can take this design to maximum if you make the rear half of sphere perforated, so the rear wave goes free through it, and the front wave slides back following the sphere shape, something like this if that can function?!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
WOW
nice stuff ! do you currently have distribution in north america?
you obviously applied the concept to tweeters and orb speakers are packaging their drivers in a sealed sphere this makes me really interested in seeing what the results would be in an open baffle concept with a fullrange driver

lol thanks! :D I yet have not tried this with bigger Widerangers and also not with open back of the Sphere, but I will, have till now made just car installs, have to finish one more car and then I'm into home hifi Loudspeakers:)

here is a Thread with Car Spheres
Improve Your Soundstage for $2 - DIYMA Car Audio Forum

and here are Spheres that I made with 2" Peerless FR2 and Visaton FRS5X

Attachments

• DSC02082.JPG
    DSC02082.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC02861.jpg
    DSC02861.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC02859.JPG
    DSC02859.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC02856.JPG
    DSC02856.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC02852.JPG
    DSC02852.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 17092010042.jpg
    17092010042.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 17092010045.jpg
    17092010045.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC02081.JPG
    DSC02081.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC02054.JPG
    DSC02054.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 264
Monte Verdi
are those open back or even partially open my interest is in trying to reduce diffraction effects of the baffle while retaining the characteristics of an open baffle

Hello, they are not open in back. In fact I have heard the larger higher end multi driver systems by Gallo and was unimpressed, hence another reason I DIY. Mark Audio 12P's in OB'S.

Turk 182,,
So the objective is to leave them partially open in the back? Wouldn't that be giving rein to the backwave coming in quickly and causing phase cancellation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.