alpair 12p. First listen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
hi everyone.

this is not aimed for a real review, I just want to share my ecitement

I have put the drivers in their box and connected them with my amp. I have my subs filling under from 120 hertz down.

The sound is smooth. This is the first thing that jumped at me. They are not burned in at all, so I cant put the volume up at all, but as far as I can hear, I like the sound. Compared to my fonkens, this is really a different driver. The vocals, or horns are so much smooth, with no harsh frequency. The vocals are beautiful. The sound is laid back, and I love that. everything is there, with a presentation that let you pick up a instrument. While the fonkens was very forward and analytical, the alpair just sings the songs to you. I have to admit, I was not a big fan of the fonkens. I have live with them for around a year, but where the difference for me is evident, is that Ive listened to the music this morning, instead on trying to pick what sounds good. I hope thats clear enough, im french. But right now, I'm listening to kind of blue, and rather then try to find what sounds good, I just sit there and listen to the music! The horns are beautiful, and there different layers of sound that I can listen to. This is where I see a real difference.

So far, this driver have exceeded my expectation. even my girlfriend think so, and somehow, shes a great judge.
Fleetwood mac dreams never sounded better speaker wise. I hear details like never before from speakers. I hear details like I hear in my akg k702 headphones.

Really happy. will report when breaking in is complete and my Marken are done

anyways, thanks a lot to everyone who helped me here! I am VERY happy, very much happy.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
men, I am happy. Ive been listening to music, while doing my college mis-session work, which is painful, and I'm really impressed. The alpair without any box but the box in which they came with sounds spectacular. The soundstage is tangible. I was listening to concerto for orchstra from bartok, and I was able to determine easily where the strings are, the trumpet, ect. I can see the stage. Compared to my fonkens, there is no comparison, with the fonken, the soundstage wasnt like that. I mean there was a soundstage but it was rather unclear. now, I can feel the space and the distance in between between the different sections in a concerto. sublime. I feel this is the first time that now my system is hifi. I need to listen to more jazz to see how the soundstage react but so far, everything I listen to is like a rediscovery and everything I have heard is conciderably much better.

okay enough of me, but damn, they are really good so far.

Just wait until you get a little time on them, they really open up.
Congrats! Follow break in instructions and IMO from experience with the 12P and the A7 the 12P's highs are every bit as good. They will open up after
80 hours or so and the soundstage opens up dramatically with exceptional detailing. Truly a classic driver and a speaker engineering landmark. And yes smooth, flat and natural without giving up anything!

Enjoy!

Ramon

ejfud, cotdt,

Which cabinet do you have the A12P in?

I ended up using a simple 11L sealed enclosure with subwoofer support. The subwoofer is not needed for music. I really need the setup to ROCK, and Lady Gaga's bass tracks to hit HARD. And to me sealed does that best. Keep in mind that my music selection are very different from others in this fullrange forum, and for certain kinds of music, a transmission line would work best.

I ended up using a simple 11L sealed enclosure with subwoofer support. The subwoofer is not needed for music. I really need the setup to ROCK, and Lady Gaga's bass tracks to hit HARD. And to me sealed does that best. Keep in mind that my music selection are very different from others in this fullrange forum, and for certain kinds of music, a transmission line would work best.

I thought all of the full range guys listen to lady gaga.
Well, maybe just when they want to impress visitors.
:p

Hey kids.....you wanna listen to lady googah?
:wchair:

Last edited:
hi
why so low, did you experiemented here. for example did you try around 100 hertz, 80 hz, 120 hz?

The 12P can play down to 60Hz no problem, and with a port it can even play down flat to 40Hz.

The subwoofer becomes directional if crossed at 100Hz, you can tell where the sound is coming from and even part of the vocals will come out of it. Bad bad. The lower you cross, the more seemless the sub will be.

I'm using a 2W 45 tube amp to drive the 12P's and I can't beleive how loud this thing gets and how much visible excursion is on the 12P's. Don't be afraid to push it, you can get serious output with it with even low power amps.

The 12P can play down to 60Hz no problem, and with a port it can even play down flat to 40Hz.

The subwoofer becomes directional if crossed at 100Hz, you can tell where the sound is coming from and even part of the vocals will come out of it. Bad bad. The lower you cross, the more seemless the sub will be.

I'm using a 2W 45 tube amp to drive the 12P's and I can't beleive how loud this thing gets and how much visible excursion is on the 12P's. Don't be afraid to push it, you can get serious output with it with even low power amps.

Only a bass and baritone enter at 100 or so. Directon is a non issue with stereo subs and even with that bass is omni directional, really can't see this as an issue unless your bass cabinet is stuffed in a corner. Let your ears decide, I for one have no problem crossing over at 100-120 Hz!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.