What is a step up from BOFU? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Decker is offline Decker  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What is a step up from BOFU?

I have built an open baffle "proof of concept" speaker to try this OB "augmented fullrange" thing out for myself. I'm using an Eminence 15A woofer, Pioneer 8" "BOFU" fullrange and a pair of Dayton 5/8" tweeters back to back. The 15A and the BOFU are driven by a Marchand crossover and two amps, so adjusting the relative levels is easy. (currently a 200 hz crossover point)The tweets are crossed over passively at 10k with a 12 db/oct crossover.There is no low pass crossover on the BOFUs. I have removed the dust cap and whizzer from the BOFUs and think they are a little more detailed without them. I really like these, especially for the price. After hearing some terrific OBs at Burning Amp last weekend, I want to try upgrading mine. What might be a step up from the Pioneers that I should consider trying?(If it was an 8" speaker so I could use the same holes in my speakers, so much the better. If not, I can manage with a filler piece.) Not ready to shell out for Lowther field coils like Mr. Pass'. I have been looking at the Wild Burro "Betsy" and the Seas FA22RCZ. Or maybe one of the Fostex fullranges. All suggestions welcome.
Old 1st November 2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Decker is offline Decker  United States
diyAudio Member

bump
Old 2nd November 2012, 01:55 AM   #3
von Ah is offline von Ah  United States
diyAudio Member

The Betsy is probably a good idea. Many people like them, and there are dedicated designs and support for building with them. I've never listened to them, but there are at least several active people on the forum who have... Help a brutha out, guys?
Old 2nd November 2012, 02:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

betsy
Old 2nd November 2012, 04:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ansepe74 Send a message via Yahoo to ansepe74
Got FA22, and i think they are doing an excellent job in my baffles
Old 2nd November 2012, 08:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have a similar setup. It's in my son's room and they are great (cheap and fill the room with a full and detailed sound). But they are not the best speakers in the world for sure. They are not as open or as alive sounding as the better speakers I've heard. They are great budget speakers. But for the price, you really can't be overly critical.

Regardless... you ask an excellent question. What can go in that 7.25" hole where the B20 currently lives that would be considered an upgrade?

I have the Betsy and it's a fun speaker to listen to... but I would not say it's head and shoulders better than the B20. It's a more forward sound than the B20 and livelier but it too has some colorations you may or may not like. It's a forward sounding driver but in a different way than Fostex. It's speedier than the B20 and full of details. Some like it fine. If you like it then it's the perfect upgrade.

I also have Fostex drivers. The closest I have are the 6" 168z and 165k. Both of these are also great but different than the B20 and Betsy. They are also forward and have colorations. They have better tone than the B20 and Betsy IMO. They sound more realistic to me even tho they are also colored.

I have the TB 1808 which is a great driver and would be a suitable upgrade but it DOES NOT fit the same hole size as a typical 8" driver. It's a great option if you have the money for it and want to modify the hole or place a panel over the original hole (which I did). But it looked odd and I scrapped the project even tho it did sound very good.

All of the drivers mentioned above are in their boxes waiting for new projects except the B20 which plays quite often. The Betsy is the quick fix because it works great on OB.

But what else is there to consider? The 8" Fostex are expensive, forward sounding and not really designed for OB - tho they would work well enough. I've not heard the Seas but figure it's another good option. The Eminence 12lta is a 12" driver that works great on OB paired with Alpha 15s but requires a tweeter. I'm open to hear what's out there at 8" that would be a worthwhile option.

Thanks for asking the question Decker!
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:00 PM   #7
The one and only

As described by the OP, maybe you want to take a look at the fostex fe168ez.

As long as you have a woofer and tweeters, they are wonderful midrangers.

Old 2nd November 2012, 10:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Since you already have woofer and tweeter support, you should look for a driver that does the mids very well. The betsy with a high Qtc works well even without woofer support for low power usage.

The TB 1808 has an extended range, that you do not really need. The Fostex 8" drivers with limited high end extension would be your best choice IMHO. The Fostex 208EZ and 225WK are great options; the former has a smoother response 100-4K. Look at the Basszilla plans
If you want to spend less, the new Eminence b102, sounds as smooth as the 208EZ at a little lower efficiency.
Old 3rd November 2012, 12:44 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

The B102 is a 10 incher and the Fostex Nelson suggests is a great driver but it's a six incher. The Fostex 208ez and 225wk mentioned above are also excellent.

I just noticed this one at PE

Visaton 3020 BG20 8" Full-Range Speaker with Whizzer Cone 8 292-548

Pricewize it's more of a lateral move but it's interesting to have another budget 8" fullranger to consider

Has anyone ever tried these?

Selenium 8PW3-SLF 8" Driver 264-330

Peavey 8" Guitar Speaker 4 Ohms 70777082 299-202

I like cheap (if it sounds good)!
Old 3rd November 2012, 12:56 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
I just noticed this one at PE

Visaton 3020 BG20 8" Full-Range Speaker with Whizzer Cone 8 292-548

Pricewize it's more of a lateral move but it's interesting to have another budget 8" fullranger to consider
those BG20's aren't very good. neither were the BG13's or 17's. They're cheap but they compared to some of the smaller equally priced TB's I heard in my quest for a full range I liked, they're not worth it. Peaky and slurred would be my description of the BG20, the top end is horrible.

That being said, they were stock drivers without phase plug.

Hide this!Advertise here!