Full range speakers using EL70's - help. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Moonfly is offline Moonfly  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default Full range speakers using EL70's - help.

Hi all,

I have a set of CSS EL70's that I got some time ago and for one reason or another never got round to using. Cut a long story short I used to have a bit of a setup that I had to sell due to moving country and now have nothing but this kit left to show for it. The kit comes with a set of tweeters as well.

I'm reasonably well up on sub design, but speakers not so much. I know some of the theory etc, but dont really have any detailed knowledge and whats best. I did come up with a design that basically was a copy of the Monitor Audio R270 speakers. I'll try upload some images of that when I have the ability to do so. I could do with some tips on what to do with this kit. My goal is to make a full range speaker that I can use to improve the sound from my tv and play a bit of music on. I know they wont be mind blowing, but they can better a TV.

The original design I had them in a 40 litre enclosure tuned to 40 or 50 hz, basically looking for about 50hz output at moderate levels. They would only take about 10 watts and manage about 90db at 50hz. The response doesnt look that flat either which may be a result of trying make them dig that bit deeper.

I could do with a bit of a speakers 101 crash course, or some helpful links. Any and all advice is most welcome.

Cheers
Old 1st November 2012, 06:40 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A reflex that size for the EL70 is too large. As can be seen in the sims, your proposed design gives a pretty ugly response.

Click the image to open in full size.

I feel that the optimal volume for the EL70 in a reflex box is around 13 litre. Quarter-wave designs (TLs) are required to take advantage of larger volumes.

There are MANY proven designs for the EL70, i would suggest going with a set of those. or at least look at them.

You can start here: Frugal-phile | Box Library / CSS

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif EL70-in-40L.gif (41.3 KB, 447 views)
Old 1st November 2012, 06:56 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've heard singles and duals of this model of driver in a multitude of enclosures - my 2 favorite bang for the buck for a single per side would have to be the FH3 (great if you have the floor space) or the cute little floorstander mahogany pair Dave has - whatever the heck they're called. ( it's not listed on the page Dave linked, so perhaps it's part of a subscription plan set?)
Old 1st November 2012, 07:08 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
...or the cute little floorstander mahogany pair Dave has - whatever the heck they're called. ( it's not listed on the page Dave linked, so perhaps it's part of a subscription plan set?)
Mar-Kel70 Floorstander MkIII. Part of the paid plan-set

dave
Old 1st November 2012, 09:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi guys. Sorry, Ive no idea where 40 litres came from, my model is about 10 litres. I'll try get some more detailed info up tomorrow.
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:47 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfly View Post
I know they wont be mind blowing, but they can better a TV.
Sorry, but you're wrong. They will most definetely be mind blowing.
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:58 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Sorry, but you're wrong. They will most definetely be mind blowing.
Honestly? As good as the Monitor Audio speakers I mentioned (they were really impressive for their size and price).
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:11 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Some images of my proposed build, which also used the ERT26. Ive no idea where to really start with the crossover though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EL Kit Tower Speaker Design.jpg (142.1 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg EL Tower.jpg (67.3 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg EL Driver.jpg (150.8 KB, 155 views)
Old 2nd November 2012, 02:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I've never heard those. I just find the EL70 mind blowing for what it is. I think you'll enjoy it
Old 2nd November 2012, 02:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

You know, the kit has sat there for ages with me thinking that I'll probably be disappointed with the results and after my original goal for them didnt really happen, just kinda left them there doing nowt. Your comment has actually got me interested in doing something with them now. What about the model I made, does it look ok? What about some sort of crossover from the main driver and the tweeter, and should the crossover include a HPF as well?

I also got some crazy idea that I could disconnect my tv speakers and connect these directly to it, given they only want about 10 watts, but it was a passing thought that made me giggle. I did however come across some tiny amps that I thought I could maybe integrate into the speakers to make them active, then put something like maybe a DAC Magic on them. As you can tell, its a first foray into speaker building, and I'm pretty whet behind the ears.

Hide this!Advertise here!