Full range speakers using EL70's - help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have a set of CSS EL70's that I got some time ago and for one reason or another never got round to using. Cut a long story short I used to have a bit of a setup that I had to sell due to moving country and now have nothing but this kit left to show for it. The kit comes with a set of tweeters as well.

I'm reasonably well up on sub design, but speakers not so much. I know some of the theory etc, but dont really have any detailed knowledge and whats best. I did come up with a design that basically was a copy of the Monitor Audio R270 speakers. I'll try upload some images of that when I have the ability to do so. I could do with some tips on what to do with this kit. My goal is to make a full range speaker that I can use to improve the sound from my tv and play a bit of music on. I know they wont be mind blowing, but they can better a TV.

The original design I had them in a 40 litre enclosure tuned to 40 or 50 hz, basically looking for about 50hz output at moderate levels. They would only take about 10 watts and manage about 90db at 50hz. The response doesnt look that flat either which may be a result of trying make them dig that bit deeper.

I could do with a bit of a speakers 101 crash course, or some helpful links. Any and all advice is most welcome.

Cheers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A reflex that size for the EL70 is too large. As can be seen in the sims, your proposed design gives a pretty ugly response.

attachment.php

I feel that the optimal volume for the EL70 in a reflex box is around 13 litre. Quarter-wave designs (TLs) are required to take advantage of larger volumes.

There are MANY proven designs for the EL70, i would suggest going with a set of those. or at least look at them.

You can start here: Frugal-phile | Box Library / CSS

dave

Attachments

• EL70-in-40L.gif
    EL70-in-40L.gif
    41.3 KB · Views: 618
I've heard singles and duals of this model of driver in a multitude of enclosures - my 2 favorite bang for the buck for a single per side would have to be the FH3 (great if you have the floor space) or the cute little floorstander mahogany pair Dave has - whatever the heck they're called. ( it's not listed on the page Dave linked, so perhaps it's part of a subscription plan set?)

You know, the kit has sat there for ages with me thinking that I'll probably be disappointed with the results and after my original goal for them didnt really happen, just kinda left them there doing nowt. Your comment has actually got me interested in doing something with them now. What about the model I made, does it look ok? What about some sort of crossover from the main driver and the tweeter, and should the crossover include a HPF as well?

I also got some crazy idea that I could disconnect my tv speakers and connect these directly to it, given they only want about 10 watts, but it was a passing thought that made me giggle. I did however come across some tiny amps that I thought I could maybe integrate into the speakers to make them active, then put something like maybe a DAC Magic on them. As you can tell, its a first foray into speaker building, and I'm pretty whet behind the ears.

CSS had a crossover worked out for these very drivers, didn't they? :confused:

There are some basics bits in the kit, but its only a cap and a resistor IIRC (will take a look in a bit). I figured there would be a proper crossover that would be better to make, but thats not somthing I'd know where to begin with right now.

quite possibly all that's required for a simple HP filter on the ERT to run the EL70 wide open and fill in what little top end is missing (which to my ears is not much)

Sorry, but you're wrong. They will most definetely be mind blowing. :radar:

Is that what happened to me, they literally blew my mind?

Man, I've been blaming the drugs. :D

Moonfly, I have a set of the FH MKIII version and yes they are impressive for the size, no doubt. I use them and nothing else for my bedroom TV and music and they don't disappoint. Mind blowing? Well, I guess that's up to the beholder and I don't want you to be disappointed so let me just say they are good. I won't say more than that because I am a large speaker kind of guy and for them to even qualify as good is saying something. Depending on your ears you may need a tweeter, maybe not. When placed properly the bass is more than you expect. It doesn't sound laboured like you would think. I've put about 10 watts [10 real watts] through them and they seemed fine with that. Good little speaker.

Cheers Cal, I'm not expecting too much from them, my last setup included XYZ 99.36 speakers, which were pretty decent. I want to use the tweeters because I'm quite keep on a very clear top end, the MA speakers used metal tweeters and the XTZ's a fountek ribbon. Ive not yet got anything to power these with either, so any suggestions on that front, remembering I'm in Europe, would be great. What about the idea of making them into active speakers? If I can match those Monitor Audio speakers then I'll be very impressed, they are £600 a pair last time I looked, plus amplification.

Is that what happened to me, they literally blew my mind?

Man, I've been blaming the drugs. :D
Well, I wouldn't completely discount that possibility

Moonfly, I have a set of the FH MKIII version and yes they are impressive for the size, no doubt. I use them and nothing else for my bedroom TV and music and they don't disappoint. Mind blowing? Well, I guess that's up to the beholder and I don't want you to be disappointed so let me just say they are good. I won't say more than that because I am a large speaker kind of guy and for them to even qualify as good is saying something.
refresh our memory with some photos of your big boy speakers for context ;)

I think some of your big compression drivers might have diaphragms not much smaller than the EL70 cones. :)

Depending on your ears you may need a tweeter, maybe not. When placed properly the bass is more than you expect. It doesn't sound laboured like you would think. I've put about 10 watts [10 real watts] through them and they seemed fine with that. Good little speaker.

I can add my vote that the EL-70 is a very good driver. I've not had a chance to hear it in different enclosures though. I built my enclosures for use with a TV and wanted to have them be slim for high WAF. I also wanted them to place the driver at about the height of the TV screen but not have the box extend any higher than necessary. And I wanted them not too deep or require a back-horn so I have them ported at the bottom so that placement was flexible. So far I haven't found it necessary to use a tweeter although if I had one, I might be tempted to try it.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/220047-martello-2-mini-tower-single-2-x-4-a.html

On the other hand, a pair of big speakers like Cal would give you a reason to upgrade to a much larger TV :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.