best 2 inch 'full range'?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I meant that there is about 5 or 6 dB of bass gain built into the design that as you move away from a wall mount the effects of baffle step drop in the bass response evens out with the built in gain. Thus, no BSC needed to compensate for apparent higher mid and high frequencies.

Hi! i have some options for this category, can anyone share some expiriences with the following drivers, plz?
Dayton Audio CE65w (more of a woofer)
Visaton FRS 5X
Visaton FR 58
Visaton BF 45
Dayton Audio ND 65-4 (non magnesium version)
Peerless 830984 ou 830985
Fountek FR58EX
Peerless TA6FD00
Peerless TC6FC00
SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4

if i happen to know someone really into these small drivers, plz call him.. i dont want to waste money trying drivers for a small bluetooth speaker, unless i really have to

Hi! i have some options for this category, can anyone share some expiriences with the following drivers, plz?
Dayton Audio CE65w (more of a woofer)
Visaton FRS 5X
Visaton FR 58
Visaton BF 45
Dayton Audio ND 65-4 (non magnesium version)
Peerless 830984 ou 830985
Fountek FR58EX
Peerless TA6FD00
Peerless TC6FC00
SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4

if i happen to know someone really into these small drivers, plz call him.. i dont want to waste money trying drivers for a small bluetooth speaker, unless i really have to

can anyonehelp? plz...

Almost a year and still contemplating the design?

None of the drivers in this size category have any appreciable bass response.....they will thump a bit, but it’s all distortion so consider the trade offs. There’s some great 2.1 Bluetooth amp modules available so..........

I have some minor experience with some Visaton.
The BF45 was the mid-tweeter part in a pc desktop speaker and really good in this range.
I never found this one fatigue or annoying soundwise but (!) I must admit it was more for background music playing.
The FSR5x is a different story and very often used as a so called cheap trick.
Some folks took this one in front of a woofer or the BG10 and built their own coax fullrange hybrid.
I tried this one a couple of times and especially for the low pricetag (in Germany) it is a remarkable good driver.

In the meantime I switched to larger fullrange and prefer the Markaudio Alpair 7 or going the multiway path without fullrange.
A woofer assisted fullrange can be very satisfying but beside the extremely good soundstage they are reproducing I'm missing details and I don't like to sit the whole evening in a sweet spot.

From your list the s acoustic, fountek and the frs5x are good candidates.
Guess you cannot go wrong with them

Have you considered a Tectonic BMR? I know that they are not that popular but the 65 can play in a small cabinet, they are not power hungry and for the money the sound is really good.
In addition they are not heavy as other fullrangers and I guess for a portable solution they are absolutely fine!
Have tried them in pvc pipes. They are not super audiophile but for small home theater satellites or a Bluetooth box they are more than good.

i have a few builds with TEBM65's in them and they are extremely good bang for the buck. Some of the best performance i've got out of them has to be the 0.18cuft (each) monitor build. gets down to a F0 of 58hz and handles what ever is thrown at it. Run them off the Dayton Audio DTA-2 module as well. They are 3.5 inch though, their little sibling (TEBM35) is a 2incher and i felt a little let down with how they sounded in the lower end and seeing what big brother can do.

I've been playing with the Eminence Alpha-2. Love this little 2"er. It's in a 8" sphere over a RS-225-8 BR cab. Detail is really nice.

Attachments

• ALPHA-2 DSP SPHERE.png
    ALPHA-2 DSP SPHERE.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 261
I’ve worked with the ScanSpeak 5F in sealed alignments. In conjunction with a sub or bass module & crossed at around 120Hz, second order, it’s my favorite single driver. Of course, the program material must be reasonable. There’s just so much such a tiny cone can do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.