Fostex FE206e in BIB & more

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You are not going to get a simple definitive answer.

Don't see why not, an infinite baffle that has the same net Vb as the room the driver is pressurizing will have the lowest distortion due to isolating the back wave while presenting an equal acoustic load on both sides of the driver.

Ideally each 'room' will be optimized acoustically, though without some equalizing system, it still won't be the theoretical ideal if the number of folks change without compensating for the differing volume WRT the rear 'room'.

Considering the amount of driver distortion such a large cab would allow it to make and the lack of LF output from such a system, the added distortion of a smaller cab seems a reasonable compromise.

GM

Having read the whole tread after thinking page 2 was page 1, I'm with Mr.Brines.
If I posted 5 threads on essentially same topic on my other 'fave' forum, they would be deleted - moderators would delete my membership and ban my IP as well.
(now cant believe I wasted 'breath' *sigh)

All five threads are now combined I see.

...really just want to get on and listen to my music

GM you got me. I wonder if Mr Wade will take your advice so he can get on a listen to his music?

But then again maybe it is part of an industrywide conspiracy to make people believe that speakers smaller than half their listening rooms are the only option, despite their infernal distortions :mad:

"I wasn't born yesterday you know!! What kind of sucker would fall for that? Honey!? The lounge is gonna get smaller......by about 50%......unless you want to listen as well.....then we'll have to move the wall a bit more...." ;)

Encloure Distortion

Enough is enough - you wiil not hear from me again. Like all elements in an audio chain the speaker System must introduce some distortion. Other sources have confirmed to me that these boxes are introducing "false base", that is content which was not present in the original sound - by definition distortion.

My question is - For the SAME DRIVER (in anechoic conditons if you wish)

Box A (say a TW type) - Distortion = x
Box B (say a "Horn") - Distortion = y
Box C (say a base reflex) - Distrotion = z

Which is the lowest figure x y or z ?

Whats so complicated about that ? Somebody with the right kit must or should have measured this - particularly, one might say, if they are selling speakers.

au revoir et FIN

Other sources have confirmed to me that these boxes are introducing "false base", that is content which was not present in the original sound - by definition distortion.

..............(in anechoic conditons if you wish)
I haven't offended in any way so....
1) Instead of saying something about "false base" just go for it. Do BIB enclosure and listen yourself. It's not so difficult. Just listen how it reproduce music not in terms of THD but in terms of vividness, or how you like it. The problem is that many people hear in different way, price different aspects of music etc. What we hear is not absolute reality of physical world but impressions given by brain to our consciousness.
I recomend you two books:
"The Music Instinct: How Music Works and Why We Can't Do Without It" Philip Ball
"Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain" Oliver Sacks

2) Try to measure something in anechoic conditions, or in condition at least similar to that. It's not so easy to set up real anechoic conditions.

Regards,

Last edited:
Enough is enough - you wiil not hear from me again. Like all elements in an audio chain the speaker System must introduce some distortion. Other sources have confirmed to me that these boxes are introducing "false base", that is content which was not present in the original sound - by definition distortion.

My question is - For the SAME DRIVER (in anechoic conditons if you wish)

Box A (say a TW type) - Distortion = x
Box B (say a "Horn") - Distortion = y
Box C (say a base reflex) - Distrotion = z

Which is the lowest figure x y or z ?

Whats so complicated about that ? Somebody with the right kit must or should have measured this - particularly, one might say, if they are selling speakers.

au revoir et FIN
OK, OK... so we gather that you are REALLY serious about distortion....in which case you should go read Dr. Earl Geddes treatises on the subject.... some very interesting information there.
Then, once you've researched a little more, come back and troll us some more about which type of distortions are you the most obsessed by. You can select any of the following:

THD?

IM?

Hysteresis distortion in the magnetic circuit?

HOM? (Read Earl Geddes posts on this site)

Distortions of the time element?

Dynamic compression distortions?

Thermally induced distortions?

Non-linearity of air at high SPL distortions?

There are other distortions, some of which we probably have not even been able to identify, much less measure. No one here is keeping any big secret, it's just that no one is likely to go spending oodles of time and gathering "distortion" data for you when it is clear you probably don't understand what you are really asking about to begin with.

Now, just in case you are sincere and not a troll as many here suspect, if you do want some substantive answers, do go have a look at Dr Geddes posts, very informative.

Bonne chance, mon vieux, t'as de la lecture a faire!

Enough is enough

Whats so complicated about that? Somebody with the right kit must or should have measured this - particularly, one might say, if they are selling speakers.

You are of course right. Enough is enough. As you are so concerned, why don't you do the measurements yourself? After all its 'whats so complicated about it?'

BTW just out of curiosity, as you have a pathological distrust of anyone selling speakers how come you trust Fostex enough to buy their drivers?

All you have are a pair of lovely Fostex FE206r sat in their cardboard boxes (btw are they distorting in there?) Build them something or they'll remain as quiet as you've promised to be on this forum......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.