Best Full Range Driver for Mini Monitor Size HT Use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Melo.....

Since we are already talking about box design, I came up with a quick and dirty one for the A7.3 as follows:

Volume: 0.25 ft^3
Tuning: 65 Hz
Inside Dims: 8.5 x 6 x 8.5 in (HxWxD)
Vent: Slot 0.5" x 6" x 5.13" length @ mach 0.04

-3 dB at about 57 Hz.

3/4" thick MDF box with veneer on both sides and coated with borosilicate internally and stuffed with sheep's wool.

I'm also considering a solid hardwood box - I am pretty sure I can do it in layers - would be interesting and unique.

With the above rough design in mind, along with the promises of additional midrange detail (which I do want for vocal clarity) on the A7, and the likely crossover at, say, 100 Hz, do you still think the A10 is the better choice?

Go here for tvrgeeks stuffing report...
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/218881-stuffing-test-report.html

I think the design is great.
But I'm sure Dave (planet 10), will be bye to discuss MDF with you ;)

I think the 10.2 is better for the reasons I stated, but the 7.3 is great as well, and cheaper.

Maybe better than nothing, but with all those moving from MDF boxes to OBs maybe not.

MDF is common in speaker building because it is cheap & easy to finish (ie cheap to finish). Not because it has any significant audible benefits.

dave

While this is off topic to the thread, I thought MDF had the benefit of high mass for the thickness. High mass cabinets are the traditional approach for good sounding cabinets used by most high end companies, no? :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
While this is off topic to the thread, I thought MDF had the benefit of high mass for the thickness. High mass cabinets are the traditional approach for good sounding cabinets used by most high end companies, no? :)

Hign mass is a myth (lots of myths started by marketing departments to help them shrink costs). If you have 2 materials with the same stiffness, the light one is better. MDF is both less stiff and denser. A good receipe for energy storage. On a system with not much DDR not that big a deal, but as you push for greater DDR, the low level time smeared ooze of sonic energy from an MDF cabinet makes it impossible to go beyond a certain level.

Also when shopping, you can't directly compare thicknesses, you should be comparing 3/4" MDF to 12mm BB. 18mm BB to 1 1/4" MDF.

Particle board is better than MDF, but harder to work with.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've used many sheets of MDF over the years building speakers, but no more.

Baltic Birch if I go the easy route on these.

However, I'm thinking of something more artistic made out of layered exotic hardwood.

It should be noted that, if we used MDF, we could probably cover our needs by rescuing offcuts that go into the bin at Chris's work.

Shop grade BB was our material of choice, a decrease in consistency has had us move a bit up-market to Oregon made Murphy Ply (more $$ goes into the material and less on the boat ride across the Atlantic).

We are playing with solid woods, you have to know what you are doing, and the results can be surprising. We are now in the midst of prepping for a direct comparison of the saem (small) enclosure in murphy ply (or maybe BB scraps), Locust, Yew, Black Walnut, Douglas Fir (a pine) and western red Cedar.

A very stable, exotic sheet material that is VERY good is stranded bamboo plywood (vertical block surfaces are next down in quality and still good, solid or horizontal surface probably not worth pursuing). I'd like to add a set in that material to the test above but to get 1 sheet of 12mm we have to buy 10 sheets, just not in the budget. 18mm is the commonly available size, but far too think for the box in the test.

dave

Thanks Dave, I'll be looking forward to that test.

I was thinking Purpleheart from South America.... I've used Bloodwood from the same continent before..... pretty stuff. Finding enough of it is the hard part.

I've also been looking at those Bamboo cutting boards. Have you considered those before? I'm sure you have. :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Finding enough of it is the hard part

One of the reasons why the widest variety of species are in the smallest boxes. (depending on timimg i might be able to add Garry Oak to the above list)

Chris' set.

blackWalnut-uFonkenSET-comp.jpg

I've also been looking at those Bamboo cutting boards. Have you considered those before?

Yes. Breadboard style solid chunks, and when you actually calc the per ft^2 cost, more expensive than the ply. Might be good for an accent ie supraBaffle or some such.

dave

Dave,

Very nice work - both the drivers and cabinets look great - kudos to you and Bernie! Chris should be a happy man. :)

ve also been looking at those Bamboo cutting boards. Have you considered those before? I'm sure you have. :)

I've been thinking the same - but pretty expensive and 1/2" is the max thickness I am finding. :)

I recommend you do some reading about working purpleheart before you get seduced by the appearance. It's nothing like working bloodwood.

In my experience, purpleheart is hard on the tools and hard on the woodworker.

I was thinking Purpleheart from South America.... I've used Bloodwood from the same continent before..... pretty stuff. Finding enough of it is the hard part.

I've also been looking at those Bamboo cutting boards. Have you considered those before? I'm sure you have. :)

In my experience, purpleheart is hard on the tools and hard on the woodworker.

That was pretty much my experience with the bloodwood. It's incredibly hard, waxy and dense, but brittle at the same time. Wore out some nice Porter Cable tools on it, the dealer could not believe it. It also burns when routing pretty easily due to the above factors. I found going very slowly and backing off a lot giving the tool time to breathe helped.

I'll follow your advice and read up.

If I were to put one Alpair cabinet on its side (center) and two upright (LR) would that affect tonality or coherence across the front stage at all? What about baffle step? Originally, I was thinking of three short boxes, all the same to fit under the projection screen as the 'ideal' front stage matched sound, but I'm weakening on going the usual way instead (different LR and center cabinets). What say you?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.