Best Full Range Driver for Mini Monitor Size HT Use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What would you experts say is the "best" full range driver for HT (action movies, explosions) in a mini monitor form factor? I'm thinking max 10" tall finished cabinets. So, that would be something like a .25 to .5 or so cu. ft. cabinet.

I'd like these to hit 80Hz with authority ideally, but could raise the crossover in the receiver to 100 Hz I suppose if it's required.

Relatively small room.

I've tried the Fountek FR88EX and have doubts that it would not bottom out a lot with action film noises (beach landing in Saving Private Ryan, for example).

Absolute dialog clarity is important to me as well, as I listen to a lot of different material.

So, I'm considering the Tang-Band W8-1808, W8-1772, W6-1916, W4-1337SD

Scan-Speak 10F

Dayton PS180-8, PS220-8, RS100-8

Or, Markaudio (not very familiar with these but good comments on the forum).

CSS offers some interesting stuff too.

Or, there is Jordan, Fostex......

Please suggest what you know to be the "best" based upon your experience. :) Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Is off axis important?
do you want a BR alignment or sealed?
I suggest this driver all the time because it is the best compromise between off axis response and power handling. It will get down to 70Hz in a small sealed box, and will take quite a bit of power with little IMD and doppler effect.

The Madisound Speaker Store

It's a little pricey for 5 of them, but I think it's the best for this application.

The first two tang bands you listed are expensive and would like a bigger box, also off axis...not the best
The third tang band I don't know too much about, there is not a lot of info on them (independent measurements)
The last tang band is actually my favorite full range, but not enough balls down low for HT.
Same story for the Scan Speak.
the first two daytons need a lot of FR shaping work.
the last dayton is really great for the near field, but same story as the TB and SS.
CSS, the 4" is great, but you will need more capability down low, although it will fair better than the other 4" that were mentioned, and expensive.
Jordan- great. although not too much info on the new design.
Fostex. most don't have too much excursion.

ok, i'm done :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
madisoundspeaker markaudio-alpair-10.2

It's a little pricey for 5 of them, but I think it's the best for this application.

I can secound that. Less expensive than some that have been mentioned. Work nicely for this kind of ap in 8-10 litre sealed.

BTW: they are copper not gold. The gen 1s were gold, the labels are being reused.

Another suggestion would be CSS/Mark Audio EL70 (getting scarce thou)

dave

Is off axis important?
do you want a BR alignment or sealed?

Thanks for the informative replies and recommendation.

Off axis response? = somewhat desirable

Seal or ported? = Does not matter to me as I'll be building the cabs custom for the driver, would choose the option with the best vocal range clarity, would guess sealed... but of course it needs to have enough oomph to 80/100 Hz to mesh with the sub too.

Are there any size / placement restraints on the rear surrounds? If so you might want to consider one size smaller driver for those ( i.e. the A7.3)

That's a good suggestion. However, the rear speakers will not be replaced (they barely are noticeable in the sonic mix on 99% of content in my opinion.... kind of a last 2% of the experience type of thing).

So, I'm just building the mains and center. I think having identical speakers, both in build and orientation, for the "front stage" is ideal rather than the typical horizontal MTM center and different mains.

One of the attractions of a small full range design is that it is short enough to use as a center in a lot of situations, as opposed to an upright two way.

That's a good suggestion. However, the rear speakers will not be replaced (they barely are noticeable in the sonic mix on 99% of content in my opinion.... kind of a last 2% of the experience type of thing).

So, I'm just building the mains and center. I think having identical speakers, both in build and orientation, for the "front stage" is ideal rather than the typical horizontal MTM center and different mains.

One of the attractions of a small full range design is that it is short enough to use as a center in a lot of situations, as opposed to an upright two way.

I couldn't agree more - other than the fact that the smaller enclosure sizes which you can get away with when using something like the A10.2 in the front row might need stands for the L&R mains, while the center is usually mounted below the screen. I tend to avoid stands, if for no other reason than a decent pair can cost several times the difference in material cost between building a "mini-monitor" size and full height floor stander.

If you want a really dynamic HT setup with huge transient abilities in a lower budget, you can give the 6" Fostex 166En a try in a sealed box. For lesser money than 6" alpairs with similar bass extension for satellite speaker application used with separate bass units below 100HZ, you can have BIG and LOUD sound :D

Last edited:
If you want a really dynamic HT setup with huge transient abilities in a lower budget, you can give the 6" Fostex 166En a try in a sealed box. For lesser money than 6" alpairs with similar bass extension for satellite speaker application used with separate bass units below 100HZ, you can have BIG and LOUD sound :D

I like the sound of that. However, I wonder how the detail resolution is between this Fostex and the Markaudio driver? I'm thinking dialog (dialogue) clarity here - a lot of actors really don't enunciate, so I need all the help I can get to understand what they are saying.

Has anyone heard both and care to comment?

I like the sound of that. However, I wonder how the detail resolution is between this Fostex and the Markaudio driver? I'm thinking dialog (dialogue) clarity here - a lot of actors really don't enunciate, so I need all the help I can get to understand what they are saying.

Has anyone heard both and care to comment?

I'd be inclined to think the 166 could be a bit too forward in the vocal portion of midrange for an accurate presentation relative to the rest of the program content, all of which is tied to screen visual clues in terms of location, depth / focus etc.

But then I've only ever heard this driver in some variation of reasonably sized BLH, not a small sealed enclosure that might well constrain its dynamics, but without careful EQ and perhaps cone treatment , the presence and hard upper mids might still be hard to tame.

FWIW, when deciding on speakers for my own small 5.1 system a year or so ago, I played with a few existing enclosures, including some FE167 and FE127E - to make a long story short, I ended up with Alpair 7s for the front row and 6Ms for the rears - they integrated much more seamlessly with each other and didn't emphasis portions of content - both issues in my case with the Fostex. Now, if for music only I can ease back, close my eyes and still quite enjoy the Fostex, making my own visuals (Sade, Jacqui Naylor, Alison, ... you know) .

FWIW, when deciding on speakers for my own small 5.1 system a year or so ago, I played with a few existing enclosures, including some FE167 and FE127E - to make a long story short, I ended up with Alpair 7s for the front row and 6Ms for the rears - they integrated much more seamlessly with each other and didn't emphasis portions of content - both issues in my case with the Fostex. Now, if for music only I can ease back, close my eyes and still quite enjoy the Fostex, making my own visuals (Sade, Jacqui Naylor, Alison, ... you know) .

At what frequency do you high pass your Alpair 7 mains and what volume are the cabinets. For full range use in BR cabinets Alpairs would definitely be better as it is the intended application. But as sealed satellites high passed around 100Hz, Fostex 167 would be as good if not better( the Fostex 108 sigma is even better). My experience is limited to Alpair 6.2 metal, that sounds mushy to me with rolled off highs and believe the Alpair 7 is not too much extended in the HF spectrum either.

Thanks Dave! Hypothetically, if I went with the A10.2, would I use a filter network with that?

I eventually added a tweeter for my A10.2 even though it sounds fine without one. Reason is because there is a dip in response from 2kHz to 4kHz where there is a loss of clarity. With a tweeter, I get a very flat response and better vocal clarity. It sounds amazingly detailed and I can't beleive the bass I'm getting out of this little driver (8.5mm of xmax in each direction). If you want the best in a small 9L sealed box, this is it. I'm using the Alpair like how one would normally use a Seas Excel W15, and the Alpair sounds similar but better.

Hey!
You go back to your own playground!
haha!
:p

Eheheheheh. He asked for the best, he should just get a bunch of Feastrex drivers for his 5.1 surround system. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.