Best Full Range Driver for Mini Monitor Size HT Use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What about Fountek FR89EX? They have more excursion than the FR88EX I have, and there are pre-made cabinets for only about $60 apiece available. I can build cabinets as I have the experience and tools, but it would be a real time saver. Also, truly mini monitor sized as mentioned in the OP.... what do you guys think of these?

On paper, they seem comparable to the Alpair 6M.

I'd probably have to cross over to the subwoofer at 150 Hz though.

What's your history Ben with regards to ht speakers and why are you looking to build? I am curious as you are in the position as me.

Hi... I have gone through many speakers over the years as have most of us.... been in and out of home theater though.... mostly 2-channel audio.

Had JBL's, Paradigms, Totems, Eminent Tech's, Infinity, NHT's, Rogers... researched and built several pair of two-ways and a few subs 15 years ago... were good... used Scan-Speak drivers for the final prototype with a few unique ideas thrown in. Still using those actually....

Some of the commercial speakers, like the Totems and Eminents were good but too big or traded on a whim... always striving for audio nirvana.... you know how it is... it goes in cycles... the upgrade bug....

Right now I have the Scan-Speak system I built and a Dynaudio center channel in the HT.... great for music... very musical.... a very 'big' sound... but dialog clarity is just not there.... everything's a mumble.... it's probably the room, which is really not treatable, so I think a full ranger, one per channel will fix some of the room issues caused by too many drivers interacting and canceling each other... makes things complex... using the exact same speaker all across the front stage can't hurt either.... and I'm not the best crossover designer to ever walk the earth either....

.. got a promising glimpse of hope with the FR88EX's in a simple box.... maybe more where that came from, eh? Thus this thread asking about what might be even better than those....

Best of luck with your situation, whatever that may be! :)

Last edited:
dialog clarity will be better with full range drivers or 6db crossed speakers (thiel, vandersteen).

But I also think that full ranges can image between the speakers better because of the lack of hf dispersion bouncing off every wall (compared to a 6db crossover even).

Using 2 3-ways (not time aligned) with a foam wall between them, that gave a solid center image, like someone is standing there talking. Since then, I could not listen to the typical stereo triangle.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

from here
Surround Ambiophonic Recording and Reproduction

So, another factor to screw up center locked dialog is the sound from the right speaker hitting the left wall then hitting your left ear.

Hi... I have gone through many speakers over the years as have most of us.... been in and out of home theater though.... mostly 2-channel audio.

Had JBL's, Paradigms, Totems, Eminent Tech's, Infinity, NHT's, Rogers... researched and built several pair of two-ways and a few subs 15 years ago... were good... used Scan-Speak drivers for the final prototype with a few unique ideas thrown in. Still using those actually....

Some of the commercial speakers, like the Totems and Eminents were good but too big or traded on a whim... always striving for audio nirvana.... you know how it is... it goes in cycles... the upgrade bug....

Right now I have the Scan-Speak system I built and a Dynaudio center channel in the HT.... great for music... very musical.... a very 'big' sound... but dialog clarity is just not there.... everything's a mumble.... it's probably the room, which is really not treatable, so I think a full ranger, one per channel will fix some of the room issues caused by too many drivers interacting and canceling each other... makes things complex... using the exact same speaker all across the front stage can't hurt either.... and I'm not the best crossover designer to ever walk the earth either....

.. got a promising glimpse of hope with the FR88EX's in a simple box.... maybe more where that came from, eh? Thus this thread asking about what might be even better than those....

Best of luck with your situation, whatever that may be! :)

Thanks for sharing your history. My situation is I would like to run a full range speaker front 3 for clarity and a seamless transition. At the moment I can find some localisation from the m&ks (despite room eq) so was looking at the full range option. Localisation being a lack of seamless integration at the front. My problems are I am limited to the height and width they can be located. I only ever use my processor which has active filtering so I don't need a complex speaker design with passive xo's. Simpler the better as far I am concerned.

I was looking to hit 80hz but 9 and 10 liters are big speakers for the average UK sized living room. Is there any disadvantage to go to 100hz? If not what sort of sealed/ported size would be required for both the 7s and 10s?

My situation is I would like to run a full range speaker front 3 for clarity and a seamless transition.

Same here.

At the moment I can find some localisation from the m&ks (despite room eq) so was looking at the full range option. Localisation being a lack of seamless integration at the front.

In my case, I can't locate the individual speakers unless I turn off the center channel, and then it sounds as though the sound is all coming from the left speaker (I sit toward the left side of the room typically). Basically the center channel anchors the dialog and FX on the screen for all viewers, and the LR fill in the music swells as it should be. I have issues understanding what the actors are saying (many do not enunciate) but the soundfield is fantastic. I assume you have tried it with the receiver DSP turned off.

My problems are I am limited to the height and width they can be located. I only ever use my processor which has active filtering so I don't need a complex speaker design with passive xo's. Simpler the better as far I am concerned.

Same here, but I suspect I could get away with bigger speakers than you could if I really wanted to. .......If I were willing to settle for a horizontal center channel cabinet. Theoretically, I could build two slim floor standers 38" high by 14" deep and a center channel 10" by 60" long. But I don't want to do that because I think the 'best' voice matching is attained if the cabinets and drivers are all the same. That's why I'm thinking of building three max 10" (25 cm) high "satellites." I came up with that number because that's the size monitor that would fit beneath the projection screen at the moment.

I was looking to hit 80hz but 9 and 10 liters are big speakers for the average UK sized living room. Is there any disadvantage to go to 100hz? If not what sort of sealed/ported size would be required for both the 7s and 10s?

Go ahead and set your sub xover to 100Hz and see what you think. I've tried 100 Hz and can't localize the sound. However, I'm considering 150 Hz for the sats I plan to build, and expect to be able to localize the sub a bit at that frequency, which I am willing to live with. I have modeled the A7.3 and it works fine in a small 2 liter sealed box, but it is down 3dB at 100Hz. In a 6.4 L sealed box, the A7.3 is down 2.5 dB at 100 Hz. So, in sealed boxes, size does not seem to matter much. In either case, crossing at 120-150 Hz would probably be best with a sealed alignment. According to the models, A7 would hit 100Hz easily in a 5 L ported box tuned to 60 Hz. The question then becomes whether it would have the power handling to actually handle that frequency at volume. I suspect it would handle up to 90 dB though, which would be very loud in small rooms.

See Dave's post in this thread for some plans for A6M (the 3" metal cone Alpair driver) and related discussion as well... http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/188771-compact-enclosures-alpair-6m.html

Last edited:
Same here.

In my case, I can't locate the individual speakers unless I turn off the center channel, and then it sounds as though the sound is all coming from the left speaker (I sit toward the left side of the room typically). Basically the center channel anchors the dialog and FX on the screen for all viewers, and the LR fill in the music swells as it should be. I have issues understanding what the actors are saying (many do not enunciate) but the soundfield is fantastic. I assume you have tried it with the receiver DSP turned off.

Same here, but I suspect I could get away with bigger speakers than you could if I really wanted to. .......If I were willing to settle for a horizontal center channel cabinet. Theoretically, I could build two slim floor standers 38" high by 14" deep and a center channel 10" by 60" long. But I don't want to do that because I think the 'best' voice matching is attained if the cabinets and drivers are all the same. That's why I'm thinking of building three max 10" (25 cm) high "satellites." I came up with that number because that's the size monitor that would fit beneath the projection screen at the moment.

Go ahead and set your sub xover to 100Hz and see what you think. I've tried 100 Hz and can't localize the sound. However, I'm considering 150 Hz for the sats I plan to build, and expect to be able to localize the sub a bit at that frequency, which I am willing to live with. I have modeled the A7.3 and it works fine in a small 2 liter sealed box, but it is down 3dB at 100Hz. In a 6.4 L sealed box, the A7.3 is down 2.5 dB at 100 Hz. So, in sealed boxes, size does not seem to matter much. In either case, crossing at 120-150 Hz would probably be best with a sealed alignment. According to the models, A7 would hit 100Hz easily in a 5 L ported box tuned to 60 Hz. The question then becomes whether it would have the power handling to actually handle that frequency at volume. I suspect it would handle up to 90 dB though, which would be very loud in small rooms.

See Dave's post in this thread for some plans for A6M (the 3" metal cone Alpair driver) and related discussion as well... http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/188771-compact-enclosures-alpair-6m.html

I have tried no dsp but the emotiva is very good at room eq using all of the speakers incl. The sub so I want to stick with that. My rears are m and k tripoles and I cross over at 100hz currently. All front three are upstanders and I like the idea of a full rangers but without a passive xo. The idea is the simpler the system, the simpler it will be on a auto room eq set up.

The 7.3s seem a preferred option.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.