Best Full Range Driver for Mini Monitor Size HT Use - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2012, 03:23 AM   #81
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo theory View Post
Just get the 10.2's and be done with it man!
Geeeeeeze.......
It's a distinct possibility.
Old 11th November 2012, 06:04 AM   #82
diyAudio Member

What about Fountek FR89EX? They have more excursion than the FR88EX I have, and there are pre-made cabinets for only about $60 apiece available. I can build cabinets as I have the experience and tools, but it would be a real time saver. Also, truly mini monitor sized as mentioned in the OP.... what do you guys think of these?

On paper, they seem comparable to the Alpair 6M.

I'd probably have to cross over to the subwoofer at 150 Hz though.
Old 11th November 2012, 07:10 AM   #83
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Tech View Post
On paper, they seem comparable to the Alpair 6M.
In real life they are not all that close.

dave
Old 11th November 2012, 07:29 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
In real life they are not all that close.

dave
In that case, the A6M is a great value at only $6 more expensive than the FR89EX.

Thanks Dave!
Old 11th November 2012, 08:53 PM   #85
hoppaz is offline hoppaz  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

What's your history Ben with regards to ht speakers and why are you looking to build? I am curious as you are in the position as me.
Old 12th November 2012, 07:23 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppaz View Post
What's your history Ben with regards to ht speakers and why are you looking to build? I am curious as you are in the position as me.
Hi... I have gone through many speakers over the years as have most of us.... been in and out of home theater though.... mostly 2-channel audio.

Had JBL's, Paradigms, Totems, Eminent Tech's, Infinity, NHT's, Rogers... researched and built several pair of two-ways and a few subs 15 years ago... were good... used Scan-Speak drivers for the final prototype with a few unique ideas thrown in. Still using those actually....

Some of the commercial speakers, like the Totems and Eminents were good but too big or traded on a whim... always striving for audio nirvana.... you know how it is... it goes in cycles... the upgrade bug....

Right now I have the Scan-Speak system I built and a Dynaudio center channel in the HT.... great for music... very musical.... a very 'big' sound... but dialog clarity is just not there.... everything's a mumble.... it's probably the room, which is really not treatable, so I think a full ranger, one per channel will fix some of the room issues caused by too many drivers interacting and canceling each other... makes things complex... using the exact same speaker all across the front stage can't hurt either.... and I'm not the best crossover designer to ever walk the earth either....

.. got a promising glimpse of hope with the FR88EX's in a simple box.... maybe more where that came from, eh? Thus this thread asking about what might be even better than those....

Best of luck with your situation, whatever that may be!

Last edited by Ben_Tech; 12th November 2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12th November 2012, 08:57 AM   #87
diyAudio Member

dialog clarity will be better with full range drivers or 6db crossed speakers (thiel, vandersteen).

But I also think that full ranges can image between the speakers better because of the lack of hf dispersion bouncing off every wall (compared to a 6db crossover even).

Using 2 3-ways (not time aligned) with a foam wall between them, that gave a solid center image, like someone is standing there talking. Since then, I could not listen to the typical stereo triangle.

Click the image to open in full size.

from here
Surround Ambiophonic Recording and Reproduction

So, another factor to screw up center locked dialog is the sound from the right speaker hitting the left wall then hitting your left ear.
Old 12th November 2012, 09:19 AM   #88
diyAudio Member

Mr Bates talk sense, however a foam wall may ruin your viewing experience (or not, depending on the film )
Old 12th November 2012, 02:24 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

lol, it does tend to make the screen hard to see !!!!!!!!
Old 12th November 2012, 06:39 PM   #90
hoppaz is offline hoppaz  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Tech View Post
Hi... I have gone through many speakers over the years as have most of us.... been in and out of home theater though.... mostly 2-channel audio.

Had JBL's, Paradigms, Totems, Eminent Tech's, Infinity, NHT's, Rogers... researched and built several pair of two-ways and a few subs 15 years ago... were good... used Scan-Speak drivers for the final prototype with a few unique ideas thrown in. Still using those actually....

Some of the commercial speakers, like the Totems and Eminents were good but too big or traded on a whim... always striving for audio nirvana.... you know how it is... it goes in cycles... the upgrade bug....

Right now I have the Scan-Speak system I built and a Dynaudio center channel in the HT.... great for music... very musical.... a very 'big' sound... but dialog clarity is just not there.... everything's a mumble.... it's probably the room, which is really not treatable, so I think a full ranger, one per channel will fix some of the room issues caused by too many drivers interacting and canceling each other... makes things complex... using the exact same speaker all across the front stage can't hurt either.... and I'm not the best crossover designer to ever walk the earth either....

.. got a promising glimpse of hope with the FR88EX's in a simple box.... maybe more where that came from, eh? Thus this thread asking about what might be even better than those....

Best of luck with your situation, whatever that may be!
Thanks for sharing your history. My situation is I would like to run a full range speaker front 3 for clarity and a seamless transition. At the moment I can find some localisation from the m&ks (despite room eq) so was looking at the full range option. Localisation being a lack of seamless integration at the front. My problems are I am limited to the height and width they can be located. I only ever use my processor which has active filtering so I don't need a complex speaker design with passive xo's. Simpler the better as far I am concerned.

I was looking to hit 80hz but 9 and 10 liters are big speakers for the average UK sized living room. Is there any disadvantage to go to 100hz? If not what sort of sealed/ported size would be required for both the 7s and 10s?

Hide this!Advertise here!