Best Full Range Driver for Mini Monitor Size HT Use - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2012, 11:31 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

The best would be an HMD with an external ambiophonics set up.
IMO of course
Old 30th October 2012, 12:37 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundaatma View Post
But as sealed satellites high passed around 100Hz, Fostex 167 would be as good if not better( the Fostex 108 sigma is even better). My experience is limited to Alpair 6.2 metal, that sounds mushy to me with rolled off highs and believe the Alpair 7 is not too much extended in the HF spectrum either.
I assume you mean the Fostex FE108EZ 4". My understanding is that the Alpair 10 Gen2 is a bit larger driver. Do you think that extra inch or two would help dynamics?

Has anyone compared the FE108EZ with the A10.2?

Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:43 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
I eventually added a tweeter for my A10.2 even though it sounds fine without one. Reason is because there is a dip in response from 2kHz to 4kHz where there is a loss of clarity. With a tweeter, I get a very flat response and better vocal clarity. It sounds amazingly detailed and I can't beleive the bass I'm getting out of this little driver (8.5mm of xmax in each direction). If you want the best in a small 9L sealed box, this is it. I'm using the Alpair like how one would normally use a Seas Excel W15, and the Alpair sounds similar but better.
Neat! Care to share details about which helper tweeter you chose and what high pass network components you used? I might have a hard time fitting that onto a 10" high baffle though.

Quote:
Eheheheheh. He asked for the best, he should just get a bunch of Feastrex drivers for his 5.1 surround system.
Hilarious! I did not even know raw drivers that expensive existed. I guess with the growing DIY movement, the high end guys had to put out something with a better margin to stay in business.
Old 30th October 2012, 01:22 AM   #24
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Tech View Post
Neat! Care to share details about which helper tweeter you chose and what high pass network components you used? I might have a hard time fitting that onto a 10" high baffle though.
Well I'm using a 12" baffle but if you flip it onto its side it will be a 7.5" (which is less than 10"). I needed a low crossover point to completely get rid of the upper midrange dip, so it's not a helper tweeter but a full LR2 crossover network with a Seas 27TDFC:

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by cotdt; 30th October 2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 30th October 2012, 01:34 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well I'm using a 12" baffle but if you flip it onto its side it will be a 7.5" (which is less than 10"). I needed a low crossover point to completely get rid of the upper midrange dip, so it's not a helper tweeter but a full LR2 crossover network with a Seas 27TDFC.
Oh! I see... it is a 2-way. Well, I really do appreciate details on your design, it looks great! However, as this is the full range forum, I'll start a new thread in the appropriate section if I decide to build another 2-way design and have any questions. Congrats again on the great looking (and sounding, I wager) speaker there.
Old 30th October 2012, 01:55 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Tech View Post
I assume you mean the Fostex FE108EZ 4". My understanding is that the Alpair 10 Gen2 is a bit larger driver. Do you think that extra inch or two would help dynamics?

Has anyone compared the FE108EZ with the A10.2?

Thanks for the recommendation.
Yes I was referring to the FE 108 EZ and was only comparing it to the fostex 166FE for its more balanced tone. The added cone area of the bigger Alpair would certainly help if you want to cross the woofer at a lower frequency, but it can be logically compared to the similar cone area of the Fostex FE 166, that also has higher efficiency and extended high end at lower cost.
Old 30th October 2012, 02:00 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well I'm using a 12" baffle but if you flip it onto its side it will be a 7.5" (which is less than 10"). I needed a low crossover point to completely get rid of the upper midrange dip, so it's not a helper tweeter but a full LR2 crossover network with a Seas 27TDFC:
If using such a detailed crossover, why not just use a 6" mid bass woofer, as in a bookshelf speaker, that would also extend lower
Old 30th October 2012, 02:27 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I eventually added a tweeter for my A10.2 even though it sounds fine without one. Reason is because there is a dip in response from 2kHz to 4kHz where there is a loss of clarity. With a tweeter, I get a very flat response and better vocal clarity.
This.

Is there any full range driver that can equal that level of clarity without a tweeter?

....Or, is the A10.2 the best we can do without a second driver, given the requirements in the OP?
Old 30th October 2012, 02:33 AM   #29
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Alpair 7.x. It would likely need to be in a vented enclosure. You would also have a smaller cabinet.

Adding a tweeter with an XO right in the critical band, when the driver has a perfectly satisfactory top end (especially for movies) seems a step backwards to me. What you lose is in my opionion much greater than you gain.

dave
Old 30th October 2012, 02:36 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Adding a tweeter with an XO right in the critical band, when the driver has a perfectly satisfactory top end (especially for movies) seems a step backwards to me. What you lose is in my opionion much greater than you gain.
That's what I was thinking too. Thanks for the confirmation.

Hide this!Advertise here!