Best Full Range Driver for Mini Monitor Size HT Use - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2012, 03:56 PM   #11
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Are there any size / placement restraints on the rear surrounds? If so you might want to consider one size smaller driver for those ( i.e. the A7.3)
Old 29th October 2012, 07:39 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Are there any size / placement restraints on the rear surrounds? If so you might want to consider one size smaller driver for those ( i.e. the A7.3)
That's a good suggestion. However, the rear speakers will not be replaced (they barely are noticeable in the sonic mix on 99% of content in my opinion.... kind of a last 2% of the experience type of thing).

So, I'm just building the mains and center. I think having identical speakers, both in build and orientation, for the "front stage" is ideal rather than the typical horizontal MTM center and different mains.

One of the attractions of a small full range design is that it is short enough to use as a center in a lot of situations, as opposed to an upright two way.
Old 29th October 2012, 08:02 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Tech View Post
That's a good suggestion. However, the rear speakers will not be replaced (they barely are noticeable in the sonic mix on 99% of content in my opinion.... kind of a last 2% of the experience type of thing).

So, I'm just building the mains and center. I think having identical speakers, both in build and orientation, for the "front stage" is ideal rather than the typical horizontal MTM center and different mains.

One of the attractions of a small full range design is that it is short enough to use as a center in a lot of situations, as opposed to an upright two way.
I couldn't agree more - other than the fact that the smaller enclosure sizes which you can get away with when using something like the A10.2 in the front row might need stands for the L&R mains, while the center is usually mounted below the screen. I tend to avoid stands, if for no other reason than a decent pair can cost several times the difference in material cost between building a "mini-monitor" size and full height floor stander.
Old 29th October 2012, 08:15 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

If you want a really dynamic HT setup with huge transient abilities in a lower budget, you can give the 6" Fostex 166En a try in a sealed box. For lesser money than 6" alpairs with similar bass extension for satellite speaker application used with separate bass units below 100HZ, you can have BIG and LOUD sound

Last edited by soundaatma; 29th October 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 29th October 2012, 09:13 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundaatma View Post
If you want a really dynamic HT setup with huge transient abilities in a lower budget, you can give the 6" Fostex 166En a try in a sealed box. For lesser money than 6" alpairs with similar bass extension for satellite speaker application used with separate bass units below 100HZ, you can have BIG and LOUD sound
I like the sound of that. However, I wonder how the detail resolution is between this Fostex and the Markaudio driver? I'm thinking dialog (dialogue) clarity here - a lot of actors really don't enunciate, so I need all the help I can get to understand what they are saying.

Has anyone heard both and care to comment?
Old 29th October 2012, 09:43 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I like the sound of that. However, I wonder how the detail resolution is between this Fostex and the Markaudio driver? I'm thinking dialog (dialogue) clarity here - a lot of actors really don't enunciate, so I need all the help I can get to understand what they are saying.

Has anyone heard both and care to comment?

I'd be inclined to think the 166 could be a bit too forward in the vocal portion of midrange for an accurate presentation relative to the rest of the program content, all of which is tied to screen visual clues in terms of location, depth / focus etc.

But then I've only ever heard this driver in some variation of reasonably sized BLH, not a small sealed enclosure that might well constrain its dynamics, but without careful EQ and perhaps cone treatment , the presence and hard upper mids might still be hard to tame.

FWIW, when deciding on speakers for my own small 5.1 system a year or so ago, I played with a few existing enclosures, including some FE167 and FE127E - to make a long story short, I ended up with Alpair 7s for the front row and 6Ms for the rears - they integrated much more seamlessly with each other and didn't emphasis portions of content - both issues in my case with the Fostex. Now, if for music only I can ease back, close my eyes and still quite enjoy the Fostex, making my own visuals (Sade, Jacqui Naylor, Alison, ... you know) .
Old 29th October 2012, 09:46 PM   #17
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
If you can use a 0.5 cu. ft. then you can use a 7" woofer in a 2-way. You can hit 40Hz flat no problem and don't even need a sub.
Old 29th October 2012, 10:03 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
If you can use a 0.5 cu. ft. then you can use a 7" woofer in a 2-way. You can hit 40Hz flat no problem and don't even need a sub.
Hey!
You go back to your own playground!
haha!
Old 29th October 2012, 10:12 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post

FWIW, when deciding on speakers for my own small 5.1 system a year or so ago, I played with a few existing enclosures, including some FE167 and FE127E - to make a long story short, I ended up with Alpair 7s for the front row and 6Ms for the rears - they integrated much more seamlessly with each other and didn't emphasis portions of content - both issues in my case with the Fostex. Now, if for music only I can ease back, close my eyes and still quite enjoy the Fostex, making my own visuals (Sade, Jacqui Naylor, Alison, ... you know) .
At what frequency do you high pass your Alpair 7 mains and what volume are the cabinets. For full range use in BR cabinets Alpairs would definitely be better as it is the intended application. But as sealed satellites high passed around 100Hz, Fostex 167 would be as good if not better( the Fostex 108 sigma is even better). My experience is limited to Alpair 6.2 metal, that sounds mushy to me with rolled off highs and believe the Alpair 7 is not too much extended in the HF spectrum either.
Old 29th October 2012, 10:23 PM   #20
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Quote:
Thanks Dave! Hypothetically, if I went with the A10.2, would I use a filter network with that?
I eventually added a tweeter for my A10.2 even though it sounds fine without one. Reason is because there is a dip in response from 2kHz to 4kHz where there is a loss of clarity. With a tweeter, I get a very flat response and better vocal clarity. It sounds amazingly detailed and I can't beleive the bass I'm getting out of this little driver (8.5mm of xmax in each direction). If you want the best in a small 9L sealed box, this is it. I'm using the Alpair like how one would normally use a Seas Excel W15, and the Alpair sounds similar but better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo theory View Post
Hey!
You go back to your own playground!
haha!
Eheheheheh. He asked for the best, he should just get a bunch of Feastrex drivers for his 5.1 surround system.

Hide this!Advertise here!