High efficiency = Increased dynamics ?! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2012, 06:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default High efficiency = Increased dynamics ?!

Planning on a FAST design, I was looking around for FR 3-4” driver to work with a 300Hz high pass crossover. Got an Alpair 6.2 metal, Fostex 108EZ and Fountek FR88EX.

Dont know why, but the Fostex that has the highest efficiency also sounds the best in this application. The Alpair does not have the sparkle on top and fountek sounds thin and scratchy at the upper end with minimal warmth. Although the frequency response graphs of all the 3 drivers looks very similar on paper, I wonder why the Fostex sounds the most balance (although it will need the most attenuation in a passive design). It has the midrange warmth and also highs as good as tweeter. It also sounds the most resolved it seems to my ears.

Wonder why this is so and if the higher efficiency contributes to this apparently more “dynamic” and clear sound. So even if low power valve amplifiers are not being used, and amplification is SS only, does anyone feel that high efficiency drivers “sound” better than low efficiency ones with similar diameter and frequency response ?

Thanks.
Old 27th October 2012, 06:55 PM   #2
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
It sounds more dynamic due to upper midrange response peaks, which increases vocal clarity.

The frequency response are not close at all. I've measured them. I want to try to be politically correct, but unfortunately, the frequency response in the datasheets do not correspond with independant measurements.

Last edited by cotdt; 27th October 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 27th October 2012, 07:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Agree w you, soundatma. I have always found more efficient speakers to be more dynamic. In my case they're all 2-way TM or MTM speakers w flat frequency response.

Enjoy!

Duc
Old 27th October 2012, 07:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoxuanduc View Post
Agree w you, soundatma. I have always found more efficient speakers to be more dynamic. In my case they're all 2-way TM or MTM speakers w flat frequency response.

Enjoy!

Duc
A high efficiency 2-way means early bass rolloff, which leads to the perception of an increase in dynamics and clarity.
Old 27th October 2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
A high efficiency 2-way means early bass rolloff
Or a larger cabinet, possibly less power compression, and increased dynamics.
Old 27th October 2012, 07:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
Or a larger cabinet, possibly less power compression, and increased dynamics.
There's no power compression in a well-designed low-efficiency speaker (85 dB/W) before it can make one's ears bleed. People making comments about high efficiency=more dynamic (as in clarity, not volume) have simply not heard a good speaker in the other camp, or are just used to a forward-tilted response curve.
Old 27th October 2012, 08:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've had drivers that people claimed to be very dynamic like Fostex 8" fullrange. Which is true, it does sound very dynamic, like Grado headphones. What I've found after some digital EQ to add in some bass that it was missing, and removing the breakup peaks, is that the dynamics goes away. It sounds better, but the forward sounding midrange goes away and so does the extra clarity.
Old 27th October 2012, 08:18 PM   #8
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I would say they sound better due to lower distortion because they don't have to work as hard and do less cone movement which kills little FRs.
Old 27th October 2012, 08:26 PM   #9
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscoe View Post
I would say they sound better due to lower distortion because they don't
have to work as hard and do less cone movement which kills little FRs.
Hi, nearly all same size drivers do the same cone movement for any level, rgds, sreten.
Old 27th October 2012, 08:27 PM   #10
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi, nearly all same size drivers do the same cone movement for any level, rgds, sreten.
Not if they have different efficiency's...

Hide this!Advertise here!