diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   High efficiency = Increased dynamics ?! (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/222348-high-efficiency-increased-dynamics.html)

soundaatma 27th October 2012 05:47 PM

High efficiency = Increased dynamics ?!

Planning on a FAST design, I was looking around for FR 3-4” driver to work with a 300Hz high pass crossover. Got an Alpair 6.2 metal, Fostex 108EZ and Fountek FR88EX.

Dont know why, but the Fostex that has the highest efficiency also sounds the best in this application. The Alpair does not have the sparkle on top and fountek sounds thin and scratchy at the upper end with minimal warmth. Although the frequency response graphs of all the 3 drivers looks very similar on paper, I wonder why the Fostex sounds the most balance (although it will need the most attenuation in a passive design). It has the midrange warmth and also highs as good as tweeter. It also sounds the most resolved it seems to my ears.

Wonder why this is so and if the higher efficiency contributes to this apparently more “dynamic” and clear sound. So even if low power valve amplifiers are not being used, and amplification is SS only, does anyone feel that high efficiency drivers “sound” better than low efficiency ones with similar diameter and frequency response ?

Thanks.

cotdt 27th October 2012 05:55 PM

It sounds more dynamic due to upper midrange response peaks, which increases vocal clarity.

The frequency response are not close at all. I've measured them. I want to try to be politically correct, but unfortunately, the frequency response in the datasheets do not correspond with independant measurements.

hoxuanduc 27th October 2012 06:01 PM

Agree w you, soundatma. I have always found more efficient speakers to be more dynamic. In my case they're all 2-way TM or MTM speakers w flat frequency response.

Enjoy!

Duc

cotdt 27th October 2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoxuanduc (Post 3217493)
Agree w you, soundatma. I have always found more efficient speakers to be more dynamic. In my case they're all 2-way TM or MTM speakers w flat frequency response.

Enjoy!

Duc

A high efficiency 2-way means early bass rolloff, which leads to the perception of an increase in dynamics and clarity.

Face 27th October 2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt (Post 3217499)
A high efficiency 2-way means early bass rolloff

Or a larger cabinet, possibly less power compression, and increased dynamics.

cotdt 27th October 2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face (Post 3217543)
Or a larger cabinet, possibly less power compression, and increased dynamics.

There's no power compression in a well-designed low-efficiency speaker (85 dB/W) before it can make one's ears bleed. People making comments about high efficiency=more dynamic (as in clarity, not volume) have simply not heard a good speaker in the other camp, or are just used to a forward-tilted response curve.

cotdt 27th October 2012 07:05 PM

I've had drivers that people claimed to be very dynamic like Fostex 8" fullrange. Which is true, it does sound very dynamic, like Grado headphones. What I've found after some digital EQ to add in some bass that it was missing, and removing the breakup peaks, is that the dynamics goes away. It sounds better, but the forward sounding midrange goes away and so does the extra clarity.

Boscoe 27th October 2012 07:18 PM

I would say they sound better due to lower distortion because they don't have to work as hard and do less cone movement which kills little FRs.

sreten 27th October 2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boscoe (Post 3217590)
I would say they sound better due to lower distortion because they don't
have to work as hard and do less cone movement which kills little FRs.

Hi, nearly all same size drivers do the same cone movement for any level, rgds, sreten.

Boscoe 27th October 2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreten (Post 3217598)
Hi, nearly all same size drivers do the same cone movement for any level, rgds, sreten.

Not if they have different efficiency's...