multiple driver speaker - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2012, 04:59 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Hi Dan

Thanks for responding and sharing
Your confirmation of the wiring confirms my initial findings with the pair i've acquired.
I was disappointed to discover my new found treasure was missing an eye and the rest (well not all) of the drivers are suffering from stiff dried out supensions and spiders.Which begs me to ask do you know of a good hydroscopic solution for treating the surrounds and spiders with? I'm worried that my attempt restor them to original may fail on the basis of driver availability.
On the subject of drivers i contemplated reloading these boxes with Visaton Fr 13's but they only seem to come in the 4 ohm flavour.I hope we don't wind up bidding against each other trying to buy Hox 22's off ebay.
I'd give anything to hear yours or mine to see if that zigzag baffle produces a cohesive wavefront or if it's riddled with off axis lobing
Old 8th November 2012, 05:36 AM   #22
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
the drivers are suffering from stiff dried out supensions and spiders.
No one that i know of has found a reliable cure for stiff surround syndrome.

It has been suggested that some oil + solvent could work, the solvent loosening up the offending stuff and then the oil sucking it up (and subsequently removed).

dave
Old 8th November 2012, 06:05 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

planet 10

i currently don't have a flat bed scanner or i'd copy and make an attempt at posting it here

in the mean time if you could get your hands on a copy of "Audio Cyclopedia" by Howard M. Tremaine and lookup Section 20 page 1117 entry 20.94 and tell me what you think about this info

sincerely
turk 182
( i think i just used an old school URL)

Last edited by turk 182; 8th November 2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 16th November 2012, 08:47 AM   #24
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
"Audio Cyclopedia" by Howard M. Tremaine and lookup Section 20 page 1117 entry 20.94
Click the image to open in full size.

I will suggest that this only applies to drivers where the surround is a continuation of the paper cone.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif tremaine-20-94-p1117.gif (31.4 KB, 368 views)
Old 16th November 2012, 10:53 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

thanks planet10
i've used this for paper and cloth/mesh surrounds as well as treating VC spider assemblies.
it's probably not applicable on newer foam or rubber/butyl surrounds but it has helped me with older drivers.
old stiff speakers need not go to the junkbox.

p.s.: i wonder what the difference of using this method compares to adding mass to lower resonance.

Last edited by turk 182; 16th November 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 5th January 2013, 11:51 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

well after treating my batch of hx 125 drivers they all seem to be settling at 70 hz free air so i can't wait to get them back in to their boxes.
i just remembered i'm still missing one driver @#$!
Old 6th January 2013, 12:00 AM   #27
Duo is offline Duo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duo
I would expect the softening of the terminus of the cone will also tend to damp transverse waves in the cone material.
Old 6th January 2013, 12:09 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

hey duo
any leads on anymore boxes or drivers? i missed out on a couple of online auctions.
i also wanted to ask you about your "acoustic resistor" for aperiodic tuning.
Old 27th January 2013, 12:05 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

duo
i sincerely hope i haven't offended you somehow?
if my question is asking to share something you don't want to please just tell me
i am still stuck with a missing driver for my hox 05's so i'm interested in the acoustic resistor idea to mod mine

Last edited by turk 182; 27th January 2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 3rd March 2013, 10:14 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

well i just reloaded my bifrons boxes with their drivers (post treatment) minus the one i was missing(so i removed 1 from the complete box and used two visaton's to complete the missing driver count) i must say this is a case for sound quality vs measurement.i can't quite put my finger on it but i like how they sound despite what the RTA is telling me.
after listening to all kinds of music tracks on them and playing with positioning i prefer them horizontal with the single driver side facing the wall about a foot and a half out from the wall they rock (for lack of a better descripitive term)!

Hide this!Advertise here!