Which 8 inch driver to use for the low end?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good Evening everyone :D,

Me and my friend was wondering about a few drivers that are fullrange 8 inch woofers from fostex? The model numbers from fostex are;

1. FE 208ez

2. FF 225wk

3. Fw 208n

I going to be building speakers for a friend and this is what was asked? Does anyone have any ideas or helpful hints? Money wise worth it or not worth it? He is looking for a 8 inch drivers that can play fullrange and these are the ones I have seen. Jeff

Evening. I still am young enough that I have some top end left. The fostex 225 will not satisfy you in the top end no matter the enclosure. You will need a tweeter. FYI. I can not speak to the others but in the right box the tang band 1772 and 1808 work nice, but price is higher. What about a mark audio or the Dayton audio 8 ????

Evening. I still am young enough that I have some top end left. The fostex 225 will not satisfy you in the top end no matter the enclosure. You will need a tweeter. FYI. I can not speak to the others but in the right box the tang band 1772 and 1808 work nice, but price is higher. What about a mark audio or the Dayton audio 8 ????

Yes I was plaining on useing a super tweeter with the above 8 inch fullrange drivers. I am aware they don't go as high as the smaller fullrange drivers. Also I am looking for a 8 inch driver that can go as high as it will let me. Tang band I have not looked into and the dayton looks nice but, does not go high enough for me. Jeff

Last edited:

Totally agree. It seems like a "fullrange" needs a sub and a helper tweeter. I may be old, but I call that a three way. :)

I agree with this if the full range is too large.
What I like is a 3" full range with helper woofers.
That way you can cross them really low and avoid a lot of problems such as time alignment, polar response, phase anomalies and group delay around the crossover, (you can use shallower slopes) just to name a few.
Most 3" drivers will behave up top and will only get wonky above 10kHz off axis.
You can cross most 3" FR at 500Hz 1st or 2nd order.
I call this configuration FRA (full range assisted)
Instead of FAST (fullrange and subwoofer technology)
The later is crossed lower and should be used with subwoofers...as per the acronym.
I got this idea from sreten. (the FRA acronym)
:D

Last edited:
I agree with this if the full range is too large.
What I like is a 3" full range with helper woofers.
That way you can cross them really low and avoid a lot of problems such as time alignment, polar response, phase anomalies and group delay around the crossover, (you can use shallower slopes) just to name a few.
Most 3" drivers will behave up top and will only get wonky above 10kHz off axis.
You can cross most 3" FR at 500Hz 1st or 2nd order.
I call this configuration FRA (full range assisted)
Instead of FAST (fullrange and subwoofer technology)
The later is crossed lower and should be used with subwoofers...as per the acronym.
I got this idea from sreten. (the FRA acronym)
:D

Kinda like Visatons Stella Light diy speaker kit? A 3 inch fullrange in front and a 6 1/2 on the side of the box or a 8 inch. Jm

Yes, that's a great example.
The 3" they use is nearly identical in specs as the one I frequently use....the vifa tc9.
Although they are crossing that a little low for my tastes.
They are limiting dynamics crossing that low, and maybe inducing IMD and the Doppler effect at high power. (garbling at high freq.)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.