great plains 212 8a cabs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You’re welcome!

As long as the slot’s centerline position is the same and its aspect ratio isn’t real high [narrow slit] and each end isn’t too close to the cab’s sidewalls, then just converting round to rectangular won’t audibly affect it. FWIW, I use Altec’s ~3.5 - 4.67:1.0 WxH ratio range.

GM

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
GM , do you mind to solve one of my permanent dilema's ?

let's say that we have TL box with port tube on bottom , (box on pedestal ) and that tube is ending 15cm in box , meaning tube's mouth is 15cm measured from bottom of box

if I want to relocate port tube to front , I need to position it's center to exactly same height - 15cm measured from bottom ?

sorry - I knew that (sort of ) but fun in Pass Forum is so frequent , that I'm forgetting things I'm not doing for long :clown:

hi all
well we enlarged the vent but in the meantime i recieved the other driver and discovered the problem

the first driver appears to have the voice coil jamed inside the magnet assembly ,hence the cone wont move and no bass
i noticed this when i first unpacked the driver but thought it was just tight suspension that would loosen up

the driver and box showed no signs of shipping damage (i always check before opening in case i need to take pics and claim insurance) so i,m 100% sure its an assembly/manufacturing issue

as it stands the driver has been sent to the repairer nominated by great plains audio(shipping at my cost $100) to see what the problem is but its been over a week since they recieved it and no word so far

due to the lack of communication from great plains audio i,m starting to get very p@#sed off!!!

so to be honest this is turning out to be a very frustrating experiance ,i,m $1500 out of pocket and only have one working driver (sounds very good though)

lets hope that great plains audio makes this right ,i feel i should be sent a new replacement driver ,not a faulty one that has been repaired it cost me too much money for that to be acceptable

i will keep you all posted

Sheafer

Bummer, sorry to say, but you're hardly the first with these folks. I keep recommending them because WRT Altec, they're the only game in town, but I don't have the enthusiasm I once had.

I guess that long term, GPA needs to come up with some shims to ~immobilize the diaphragm during shipment in case folks don't pay attention to 'this side up' markings and ship it face up, which just bouncing around while strapped to a pallet could theoretically cause this type of damage.

GM

due to the lack of communication from great plains audio i,m starting to get very p@#sed off!!!
Can't blame you one bit.
i feel i should be sent a new replacement driver ,not a faulty one that has been repaired it cost me too much money for that to be acceptable
Totally agree.
Bummer, sorry to say, but you're hardly the first with these folks. I keep recommending them because WRT Altec, they're the only game in town, but I don't have the enthusiasm I once had.

Ya, I think they hold their chin a little too high. I am one of the disgruntled ones. Anyone who's near Vancouver can get the same parts, lousy service, awful prices and long wait times from Vancouver Audio Speaker clinic. They are a really talented bunch but would be more expensive than GPA unless you are close. They did a nice job refurbishing my 416-8C's

Was there ever a resolution to this. What was GPA's response? I've been looking at their products for a while and plan on building some, but if their customer service is this lacking I will look somewhere else. Too much money to accept a repair. They should have shipped a new one in my opinion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.