Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2012, 08:20 AM   #21
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
I think GM's R for port is semi-diameter........
Yeah, out of haste I tend to just copy the 'rport' [radius value] MJK uses in his software.

GM
Old 6th November 2012, 08:50 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Youíre welcome!

As long as the slotís centerline position is the same and its aspect ratio isnít real high [narrow slit] and each end isnít too close to the cabís sidewalls, then just converting round to rectangular wonít audibly affect it. FWIW, I use Altecís ~3.5 - 4.67:1.0 WxH ratio range.

GM
Old 6th November 2012, 09:27 AM   #23
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

GM , do you mind to solve one of my permanent dilema's ?

let's say that we have TL box with port tube on bottom , (box on pedestal ) and that tube is ending 15cm in box , meaning tube's mouth is 15cm measured from bottom of box

if I want to relocate port tube to front , I need to position it's center to exactly same height - 15cm measured from bottom ?

sorry - I knew that (sort of ) but fun in Pass Forum is so frequent , that I'm forgetting things I'm not doing for long
Old 6th November 2012, 03:17 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Correct, though in room performance may be audibly different due to different boundary loading, reflections.

GM
Old 6th November 2012, 03:18 PM   #25
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

tnx GM
Old 15th November 2012, 03:19 PM   #26
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

slr 5000, any update on this, did you enlarge the vent to 6" after all?

IG
Old 21st November 2012, 06:27 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

hi all
well we enlarged the vent but in the meantime i recieved the other driver and discovered the problem

the first driver appears to have the voice coil jamed inside the magnet assembly ,hence the cone wont move and no bass
i noticed this when i first unpacked the driver but thought it was just tight suspension that would loosen up

the driver and box showed no signs of shipping damage (i always check before opening in case i need to take pics and claim insurance) so i,m 100% sure its an assembly/manufacturing issue

as it stands the driver has been sent to the repairer nominated by great plains audio(shipping at my cost $100) to see what the problem is but its been over a week since they recieved it and no word so far

due to the lack of communication from great plains audio i,m starting to get very p@#sed off!!!

so to be honest this is turning out to be a very frustrating experiance ,i,m $1500 out of pocket and only have one working driver (sounds very good though)

lets hope that great plains audio makes this right ,i feel i should be sent a new replacement driver ,not a faulty one that has been repaired it cost me too much money for that to be acceptable

i will keep you all posted

Sheafer
Old 22nd November 2012, 05:54 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Bummer, sorry to say, but you're hardly the first with these folks. I keep recommending them because WRT Altec, they're the only game in town, but I don't have the enthusiasm I once had.

I guess that long term, GPA needs to come up with some shims to ~immobilize the diaphragm during shipment in case folks don't pay attention to 'this side up' markings and ship it face up, which just bouncing around while strapped to a pallet could theoretically cause this type of damage.

GM
Old 22nd November 2012, 06:29 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

hi GM
yes its definately put a dampner on the project

i will keep you all posted

Sheafer

Last edited by slr 5000; 22nd November 2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:17 PM   #30
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Sorry to hear this, I hope it gets straightened out for you, these drivers should be mighty enjoyable!

IG

Hide this!Advertise here!