FE167E Bass Reflex w/Ported Stand

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ever since seeing the plans for this speaker years ago, I have wanted to build them on aesthetics alone. I recently acquired some 3/4" 11-ply Baltic Birch and decided to let the chips fly.

I was shocked at the outcome! They extended much lower in the bass region than I expected. They have the signature Fostex harshness, but overall, a very enjoyable listening experience. These were built for the Master Bedroom but have a temporary home as my primary speaker whilst I build my Markaudio Alpair 12P Pensils.

Only thing left to do is stuff, sand and seal!

Attachments

• FE167E.jpeg
    FE167E.jpeg
    817.8 KB · Views: 463
They look great! Are you using any baffle-step correction?

IG

No BSC, straight from the Dynaco transformer to the speaker! I am only really noticing a harshness in upper midrange. I am considering the phase plug mod.

Very nice Craigtone! I have a pair of the same drivers in small BR cabs and they love my bottlehead 2A3 amp.
Mario

Thanks! It was a surprisingly complex build ... a LOT of pieces to glue together! I plan on building a set DRD 300B monos this winter. After this build, I am now a firm believer in fullrange drivers!

how many hours on the drivers?

In addition to the "signature" Fostex harshness is the well known roller coaster ride during the break-in period - at least a couple of hundred hours

and yes, the phase plugs are one step towards taming these

Not sure ... I picked them up from Bob Brines used ... IIRC, several hundred hours, so should be well broken-in by now.

I am pretty sure I'll do the phase plug mod even if it reduces a little top end. I can always compensate with a set of T90A's if need be! :p

Not sure ... I picked them up from Bob Brines used ... IIRC, several hundred hours, so should be well broken-in by now.

I am pretty sure I'll do the phase plug mod even if it reduces a little top end. I can always compensate with a set of T90A's if need be! :p

Yes, those drivers are well used. Phase plugs will put a hole in the response 5-7kHz that reduces sibilance and smooths out female voice. See my review of this.. Phase plugs to nothing with the main cone breakup 3-5kHz nor do they affect the top end.

One thing to note: Your cabinet have no real bass. When modeled, they have an F3 of somewhere around 105Hz. While the cabinet is "tuned" to ~40Hz, it is acting like an aperiodic box. The lack of bass is one reason they sound bright. Cross them over at 150Hz or so to a sub(s).

Bob

craig: while I imagine you'll be spending much more time over the next couple of weeks with the new 12Ps, as Bob says, the FE167 will never shine in the Fostex design - they are capable of digging much deeper than 100 or so, but would need something like an MLTL, such as:

M12-F165

(seen here sporting the FF165WK with some dimensional changes, but IINM very similar to Bob's longstanding design for the FE167E)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

or larger volume ported enclosure - this one works fairly well

Fonken-167-trio-tn.jpg

Where can I find that design bass reflex stand port... thanks, dan

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/recom_enclose/167e_enclrev.pdf

If building these, I'd fill the bottom portion of column with dry sand, lead shot, etc. , and note that their photo shows plywood ;)

But honestly, I think that a well executed MLTL design, such as Bob's referenced earlier in the thread would deliver much better bass, and occupy hardly any additional floorspace, if at all.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/recom_enclose/167e_enclrev.pdf

If building these, I'd fill the bottom portion of column with dry sand, lead shot, etc. , and note that their photo shows plywood ;)

But honestly, I think that a well executed MLTL design, such as Bob's referenced earlier in the thread would deliver much better bass, and occupy hardly any additional floorspace, if at all.

^ Those are the plans I used. I filled the bottom of the column with coal slag blasting media.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
In the last few months two identical sized cabinets of ~ 18 liter have been built. One pair is sealed and the other pair is BR. Extensive modelling showed this to be the optimum size - for the BR add a 1.1 Ohm resistor, for the sealed add a 3 Ohm resistor. Port 59 mm dia, 114 mm long. Wife is pleased with the sealed, I am pleased with the BR. (she has hearing issues - too much group delay muddles the music ) Three small cubes (all sides equal size) of foam tames the whizzer (after trying out cotton wool etc)

Attachments

• DSC01604.JPG
    DSC01604.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC01605.JPG
    DSC01605.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.