Advice for a compact fullrange on budget

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, i'm here asking for some advice for my first project, a pair of fullrange for my desk; as the title says, i need them to be compact and cheap (college student), so after some resarch for the speakers i have these candidates:
- Hi-Vi B3N
- Visaton FRS8
- Visaton FR10
- Tang Band W3-665SC/W3-871
- Fountek FE87
Which one do you think is better? Obviously i'm open to anything else, if you know something better under 30 euros please tell me.
I have some indecisions on the enclosure too; there are a lot of projects on the net and it's difficult choosing only basing only on the comments of few people, so i' basing my choices more on the general appeal of one solution compared to an other.
For now i like labirinth style enclosures like this:
Ultra-Fi
Or something simpler like this:
�™Helix H75 ‚Ì�»�ì�`Ž‹’®
Or something like this, the Martello:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/175056-martello-enclosure-fr88ex.html

Which one do you think is the best with a budget speaker?
Thanks!

Hi all, i'm here asking for some advice for my first project, a pair of fullrange for my desk; as the title says, i need them to be compact and cheap (college student), so after some resarch for the speakers i have these candidates:
- Hi-Vi B3N
- Visaton FRS8
- Visaton FR10
- Tang Band W3-665SC/W3-871
- Fountek FE87

Which one do you think is the best with a budget speaker?
Thanks!

When I was looking into building my speakers, I did some youtube searches on speakers and cabinets that I was interested in and made my choice based on that (plus my budget).

If it's desk speakers on a budget you're after, then here's a few general thoughts.

-Any of the drivers you list will probably do the job for you; they're all reasonable for what they are.

-Forget about trying to be fancy with the box. Yes, there's an appeal, but a complex box isn't going to bring any real advantages since you're on a budget, with cheap drivers, and genuine LF output isn't on the cards. A simple vented enclosure will likely do what you want.

-Youtube is about the worst possible place to assess speakers, so don't waste your time trying to draw any conclusions from anything you see or hear there. An unknown speaker is being played with unknown equipment in an unknown room. It is recorded in an unknown fashion with unknown equipment, by an unknown person. It is then compressed with unknown software, to an unknown extent & unknown quality, before being uploaded to the site. You then play it back through your own equipment, with its own characteristics. How accurate a representation do you think you'll get? Not very, right?

Yeah the youtube thing is not objective at all, i was just asking for some advice on the speaker itself, i mean among them which is the best?

There's no such thing as 'best' unfortunately, in speakers or anything else in this life, just a different set of compromises that vary depending on the goals and choices in question.

FWIW, of the units you list, I would be inclined toward the Tang Band or Fountek, but they're all reasonable for what they are (cheap small wideband drivers). That's not to say they'll sound the same, because they won't, but I wouldn't anticipate any big gains across the board from any of them. Probably the weakest units there are the Visatons, although the FRS8M isn't bad.

Hello,
Sorry for the link, i would like too add addionnal detail : the full range speaker is the Monacor SPH-60X and the kit name is CT193. It's incredible, i use them since one year with B300 amplifier 2x9W
Thank you for correction, my english is bad, i know !
Gilles (from France ALSACE)

If it's desk speakers on a budget you're after, then here's a few general thoughts.

-Forget about trying to be fancy with the box. Yes, there's an appeal, but a complex box isn't going to bring any real advantages since you're on a budget, with cheap drivers, and genuine LF output isn't on the cards. A simple vented enclosure will likely do what you want.

:confused:
I can recommend an tml (like the design i linked above) for a full range speaker. It gets you more LF (low frequncy) out with less driver excrusion.

-Youtube is about the worst possible place to assess speakers, so don't waste your time trying to draw any conclusions from anything you see or hear there. An unknown speaker is being played with unknown equipment in an unknown room. It is recorded in an unknown fashion with unknown equipment, by an unknown person. It is then compressed with unknown software, to an unknown extent & unknown quality, before being uploaded to the site. You then play it back through your own equipment, with its own characteristics. How accurate a representation do you think you'll get? Not very, right?

Well it worked for me. Most of the good recordings have all the technical specs on the page with the video and the room size is evident since it is a video.

I ended up building a BiB enclosure with a Fostex FE166En which preforms most wonderful with my SE valve amp.

I'd found another really neat enclosure I meant to post and now I can't find it for the life of me. It was on a Japanese page. I'll keep searching.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.