Full Range Merrill Driver in TriTrix Cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is a photo of my latest speaker project using the Merrill DCA5.5 in the TriTrix cabinet from Parts Express. I was trying to design a new cabinet when I ran across the dimensions of the TriTrix, and discovered the box dimensions were a great fit for the DCA5.5 Thiel characteristics. A local cabinet shop had some leftover bamboo veneer from another job, so I got a great looking set of cabinets for my DCA5.5's. As for the sound, they are AMAZING! The drivers don't even have 10 hours on them and they already sound sweet. I can't wait till the drivers are fully broken in.

http://imageshack.us/a/img833/5893/tritrixmerrilldriver.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Philfr,

It is ok a high Qt with a TL line is appropriate.

I am a pensioner who is not very strong on the internet and I speak English very poorly.

This will not be easy.

Dominique Petoin has already given me a plan.

But I would like a smaller speaker because I did not need to descend in very low frequency.

The addition of a subwoofer will be later.

I am looking for a plan inspired by the prototype of Ronald THACKERAY Audio Caroline.

Thank.

Best.

The OP used the Tritrix enclosure, but with Merrill driver instead of the twin midbass & tweeter. See here for the box plan: Speaker Projects Gallery,Speaker Design Goals, Project Materials, Enclosure Assembly, Speaker Project Photos and More, Submitted By Parts Express Customers.

You're right, Scottmoose; I used the Tritrix enclosure, but made a new baffle to accommodate the Merrill DCA5.5 driver. Note that I moved the driver to the very top of the baffle. The Tritrix is basically a tapered transmission line (refer to drawing) and when I reviewed Martin J. King's Classic Transmission Line Enclosure Alignment Tables, the DCA5.5 driver turned out to be a good match for the Tritrix dimensions.

Attachments

• tritrix dwg.jpg
    tritrix dwg.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 131
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.