Alpair 7, 10 or 12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
hi.
So, I want to build bookshelves to sit on my stereo active subs.

Which of those 3 would be best.

I know that the bigger the driver, the better the midbass is and I know how important the midbass is in music. well for me it is. I use right now the fe127en which are 4 inch and I'm looking for essentially a upgrade. I like the sound of the fonkens, but I have to admit that the sound is a bit thin. I'm looking for more weight and a fuller sound.

Right now I'm leaning toward the alpair 10, but the 8 inch seems interesting. can anyone tell me if the alpair 12 is a better driver?

I'm trying to upgrade from my fe127en Fonkens...

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
so there a real difference in the midbass department when we compare the 10 with the 7?

Also, I dont like to put a high xo for my subs. I like to keep the xo as low as possible, around 80-100 hertz.
but my main concern is the midbass, so your saying that the 10 is a clear winner in that department?

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
and how better is the midrange and the highs for the a7. if I trade good midbass for okay midrange, no thanks!

I know you said in another thread that the alpair 7.2 is a definitive upgrade from the fe127en. can you elaborate a bit here. if you say the a7 is better then the a10, I dont see why I should buy the 10's...

maybe its just the fostex sound that is thin and that the A7 will be heavier sounding anyways.

10.2 then. Listen to Dave. He knows what of he speaks. Given your low crossover point and penchant for mid-bass seems like the best choice. Easy build too if you go with the sealed box.
Things are great zman. New project is a small addition to our house. Trying to do the tiling now if my back will cooperate. Waiting for the Advil to kick in as I type.

I have both the 10.2 (pensil) and the 7.3 (in a F.A.S.T design). For me the 7.3 excels in the top end, where it shines with better dispersion from around 5000 hz compared to the 10.2. The 10.2 however would be my first choice as a true full range driver. The midrange is to die for. Absolutely stunning. It just has a tiny bit less sparkle in direct comparison to the 7.3, as well as a more limited sweet spot. The reason I went with the 7.3 in a F.A.S.T. configuration is the fact that I have kids... They like to crank up the music occasionally, and this caused damage to the 10.2 due to the inherent characteristics of a vented design (namely the fact that excursion limits are easily surpassed below the tuning frequency). Seeing your requirements I have no doubt you would be thrilled with the 10.2.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It must be the Alpair 6.2p.

One of Mark's targets with the CHP70.2 was to get a vinatge sound. IMO it didn't really get there, but the A6.2p got it perfectly. Its top is a bit soft. A7.3 has better top, more extended bottom & a bit more DDR. Where the A6.2p excels is in the small BBC LS3/5A size boxes.

This does not include the A7 but you might pull some info from it http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/196061-3-driver-audition-fostex-mark-audio.html

I expect you would need different boxes for the A7.

dave

It must be the Alpair 6.2p.

One of Mark's targets with the CHP70.2 was to get a vinatge sound. IMO it didn't really get there, but the A6.2p got it perfectly. Its top is a bit soft. A7.3 has better top, more extended bottom & a bit more DDR. Where the A6.2p excels is in the small BBC LS3/5A size boxes.

This does not include the A7 but you might pull some info from it http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/196061-3-driver-audition-fostex-mark-audio.html

I expect you would need different boxes for the A7.

dave
Thanks for the link Dave, where you comment
"The A6m was no sloch either, like the other metal Alpairs demand the best ancillaries. The A6p is more forgiving, and it would be more forgiving of amps."
Actually I have the Alpair 6.2 metal(champagne colored one). Did you get a chance to compare this in the linked thread, or was it only the Alpair 6.2 paper one. Any differences ?

Is the DDR of the Alpair 7 better than the Alpair 6.2 because of greated surface area and resulting lower cone excursion at a given SPL...don't really understand how to assess DDR :confused:
I was also debating over the Fountek FR88EX...how does this compare with the Alpair 6.2 and Alpair 7...since this costs much less than the Alpairs !!
Thanks.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks for the link Dave, where you comment
"The A6m was no sloch either, like the other metal Alpairs demand the best ancillaries. The A6p is more forgiving, and it would be more forgiving of amps."
Actually I have the Alpair 6.2 metal(champagne colored one). Did you get a chance to compare this in the linked thread, or was it only the Alpair 6.2 paper one. Any differences ?

The A6.2 metal only comes in copper, and it was the one in the 3-way comparison.

Is the DDR of the Alpair 7 better than the Alpair 6.2 because of greated surface area and resulting lower cone excursion at a given SPL...don't really understand how to assess DDR

I don't know why it is better. DDR (downward dynamic range) is assessed by listening for those things that good DDR contribute. Small details in voices and intstruments even of the face of much louder signal and the ability to create a good 3D soundstage/image.

I was also debating over the Fountek FR88EX...how does this compare with the Alpair 6.2 and Alpair 7...

Not even close.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.