Alpair 7, 10 or 12 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2012, 12:07 PM   #11
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Actually a good suggestion jimbro - don't most diy nutters have a extra pair(s)?

Good to see you posting after quite a while. Hope things are good?

Any new projects?
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:24 PM   #12
Account disabled at member's request

yeah well I builded this year the pre amp pass b1, stereo subs and now im fixing my tube amp. it comes along nicely!
buying two pair is a bit much for me, especially that I would need to do two pair of boxes, im not the most manual person.
Old 22nd October 2012, 02:33 PM   #13
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

10.2 then. Listen to Dave. He knows what of he speaks. Given your low crossover point and penchant for mid-bass seems like the best choice. Easy build too if you go with the sealed box.
Things are great zman. New project is a small addition to our house. Trying to do the tiling now if my back will cooperate. Waiting for the Advil to kick in as I type.
Old 22nd October 2012, 07:08 PM   #14
Swifty is offline Swifty  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I have both the 10.2 (pensil) and the 7.3 (in a F.A.S.T design). For me the 7.3 excels in the top end, where it shines with better dispersion from around 5000 hz compared to the 10.2. The 10.2 however would be my first choice as a true full range driver. The midrange is to die for. Absolutely stunning. It just has a tiny bit less sparkle in direct comparison to the 7.3, as well as a more limited sweet spot. The reason I went with the 7.3 in a F.A.S.T. configuration is the fact that I have kids... They like to crank up the music occasionally, and this caused damage to the 10.2 due to the inherent characteristics of a vented design (namely the fact that excursion limits are easily surpassed below the tuning frequency). Seeing your requirements I have no doubt you would be thrilled with the 10.2.
Old 22nd October 2012, 07:33 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Overall i do prefer the 7. For your needs i'd suggest the 10.

dave
Hi Dave,
I have the Alpair 6.2 in an MLTL. Do you suggest upgrading to Alpair 7 will dramatically improve the sound. My gripe with the Alpair 6.2 is insufficient extension of the high frequencies.
Thanks.
Old 22nd October 2012, 07:37 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

It must be the Alpair 6.2p.

One of Mark's targets with the CHP70.2 was to get a vinatge sound. IMO it didn't really get there, but the A6.2p got it perfectly. Its top is a bit soft. A7.3 has better top, more extended bottom & a bit more DDR. Where the A6.2p excels is in the small BBC LS3/5A size boxes.

This does not include the A7 but you might pull some info from it 3" driver audition Fostex/Mark Audio

I expect you would need different boxes for the A7.

dave
Old 23rd October 2012, 01:32 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
It must be the Alpair 6.2p.

One of Mark's targets with the CHP70.2 was to get a vinatge sound. IMO it didn't really get there, but the A6.2p got it perfectly. Its top is a bit soft. A7.3 has better top, more extended bottom & a bit more DDR. Where the A6.2p excels is in the small BBC LS3/5A size boxes.

This does not include the A7 but you might pull some info from it 3" driver audition Fostex/Mark Audio

I expect you would need different boxes for the A7.

dave
Thanks for the link Dave, where you comment
"The A6m was no sloch either, like the other metal Alpairs demand the best ancillaries. The A6p is more forgiving, and it would be more forgiving of amps."
Actually I have the Alpair 6.2 metal(champagne colored one). Did you get a chance to compare this in the linked thread, or was it only the Alpair 6.2 paper one. Any differences ?

Is the DDR of the Alpair 7 better than the Alpair 6.2 because of greated surface area and resulting lower cone excursion at a given SPL...don't really understand how to assess DDR
I was also debating over the Fountek FR88EX...how does this compare with the Alpair 6.2 and Alpair 7...since this costs much less than the Alpairs !!
Thanks.

Last edited by soundaatma; 23rd October 2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 23rd October 2012, 02:30 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I think you could ENJOY listening to any one of the three choices!

Larry
Old 23rd October 2012, 02:30 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundaatma View Post
Thanks for the link Dave, where you comment
"The A6m was no sloch either, like the other metal Alpairs demand the best ancillaries. The A6p is more forgiving, and it would be more forgiving of amps."
Actually I have the Alpair 6.2 metal(champagne colored one). Did you get a chance to compare this in the linked thread, or was it only the Alpair 6.2 paper one. Any differences ?
The A6.2 metal only comes in copper, and it was the one in the 3-way comparison.

Quote:
Is the DDR of the Alpair 7 better than the Alpair 6.2 because of greated surface area and resulting lower cone excursion at a given SPL...don't really understand how to assess DDR
I don't know why it is better. DDR (downward dynamic range) is assessed by listening for those things that good DDR contribute. Small details in voices and intstruments even of the face of much louder signal and the ability to create a good 3D soundstage/image.

Quote:
I was also debating over the Fountek FR88EX...how does this compare with the Alpair 6.2 and Alpair 7...
Not even close.

dave
Old 23rd October 2012, 02:31 AM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryldspkr View Post
I think you could ENJOY listening to any one of the three choices!
Truth in that.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!