Alpair 7, 10 or 12 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:07 PM   #11
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dhaka
Actually a good suggestion jimbro - don't most diy nutters have a extra pair(s)?

Good to see you posting after quite a while. Hope things are good?

Any new projects?
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:24 PM   #12
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere in Quebec
yeah well I builded this year the pre amp pass b1, stereo subs and now im fixing my tube amp. it comes along nicely!
buying two pair is a bit much for me, especially that I would need to do two pair of boxes, im not the most manual person.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 02:33 PM   #13
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: somewhere in Texas
10.2 then. Listen to Dave. He knows what of he speaks. Given your low crossover point and penchant for mid-bass seems like the best choice. Easy build too if you go with the sealed box.
Things are great zman. New project is a small addition to our house. Trying to do the tiling now if my back will cooperate. Waiting for the Advil to kick in as I type.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 07:08 PM   #14
Swifty is offline Swifty  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Holland
I have both the 10.2 (pensil) and the 7.3 (in a F.A.S.T design). For me the 7.3 excels in the top end, where it shines with better dispersion from around 5000 hz compared to the 10.2. The 10.2 however would be my first choice as a true full range driver. The midrange is to die for. Absolutely stunning. It just has a tiny bit less sparkle in direct comparison to the 7.3, as well as a more limited sweet spot. The reason I went with the 7.3 in a F.A.S.T. configuration is the fact that I have kids... They like to crank up the music occasionally, and this caused damage to the 10.2 due to the inherent characteristics of a vented design (namely the fact that excursion limits are easily surpassed below the tuning frequency). Seeing your requirements I have no doubt you would be thrilled with the 10.2.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 07:33 PM   #15
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Overall i do prefer the 7. For your needs i'd suggest the 10.

dave
Hi Dave,
I have the Alpair 6.2 in an MLTL. Do you suggest upgrading to Alpair 7 will dramatically improve the sound. My gripe with the Alpair 6.2 is insufficient extension of the high frequencies.
Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 07:37 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
It must be the Alpair 6.2p.

One of Mark's targets with the CHP70.2 was to get a vinatge sound. IMO it didn't really get there, but the A6.2p got it perfectly. Its top is a bit soft. A7.3 has better top, more extended bottom & a bit more DDR. Where the A6.2p excels is in the small BBC LS3/5A size boxes.

This does not include the A7 but you might pull some info from it 3" driver audition Fostex/Mark Audio

I expect you would need different boxes for the A7.

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 01:32 AM   #17
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
It must be the Alpair 6.2p.

One of Mark's targets with the CHP70.2 was to get a vinatge sound. IMO it didn't really get there, but the A6.2p got it perfectly. Its top is a bit soft. A7.3 has better top, more extended bottom & a bit more DDR. Where the A6.2p excels is in the small BBC LS3/5A size boxes.

This does not include the A7 but you might pull some info from it 3" driver audition Fostex/Mark Audio

I expect you would need different boxes for the A7.

dave
Thanks for the link Dave, where you comment
"The A6m was no sloch either, like the other metal Alpairs demand the best ancillaries. The A6p is more forgiving, and it would be more forgiving of amps."
Actually I have the Alpair 6.2 metal(champagne colored one). Did you get a chance to compare this in the linked thread, or was it only the Alpair 6.2 paper one. Any differences ?

Is the DDR of the Alpair 7 better than the Alpair 6.2 because of greated surface area and resulting lower cone excursion at a given SPL...don't really understand how to assess DDR
I was also debating over the Fountek FR88EX...how does this compare with the Alpair 6.2 and Alpair 7...since this costs much less than the Alpairs !!
Thanks.

Last edited by soundaatma; 23rd October 2012 at 01:39 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 02:30 AM   #18
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
I think you could ENJOY listening to any one of the three choices!

Larry
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 02:30 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundaatma View Post
Thanks for the link Dave, where you comment
"The A6m was no sloch either, like the other metal Alpairs demand the best ancillaries. The A6p is more forgiving, and it would be more forgiving of amps."
Actually I have the Alpair 6.2 metal(champagne colored one). Did you get a chance to compare this in the linked thread, or was it only the Alpair 6.2 paper one. Any differences ?
The A6.2 metal only comes in copper, and it was the one in the 3-way comparison.

Quote:
Is the DDR of the Alpair 7 better than the Alpair 6.2 because of greated surface area and resulting lower cone excursion at a given SPL...don't really understand how to assess DDR
I don't know why it is better. DDR (downward dynamic range) is assessed by listening for those things that good DDR contribute. Small details in voices and intstruments even of the face of much louder signal and the ability to create a good 3D soundstage/image.

Quote:
I was also debating over the Fountek FR88EX...how does this compare with the Alpair 6.2 and Alpair 7...
Not even close.

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 02:31 AM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryldspkr View Post
I think you could ENJOY listening to any one of the three choices!
Truth in that.

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alpair 10 -12 Mike in NJ Markaudio 27 11th September 2013 02:30 AM
Alpair 12 vs Alpair 10.2 and a little Fostex 166 germpod Full Range 4 28th January 2011 03:19 PM
Alpair 10 more forgiving than Alpair 7 & 12 tripathdude Full Range 3 6th November 2010 06:14 AM
Alpair 10 vs Alpair 12 buzzforb Planet 10 hifi 0 30th October 2010 06:56 PM
WTB: Alpair 10 or 12 ra7 Swap Meet 3 10th September 2010 10:58 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:07 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2