What's the best 8" fullrange that you've heard? - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2013, 10:26 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

Default What about mark audio alpair 7.3?

What about mark audio alpair 7.3? 10p and 12p 2gen?

how does it fare against audio nirvana?

i'm in the process of making a one way from 60hz to 22khz

I need the best, only the best with no flaws.. but can't pay too much..
so what is the best between
alpair, audio nirvana, fostex fw85k or 125, tang bang bamboo (what size), betsy??

My goal is actually to have a one way that would also be the bass of a 2,3 way but i don't need anything under 60hz.. i will use a sub for this when needed..

I will use that one way as reference in my studio..
Old 19th February 2013, 12:37 AM   #82
diyAudio Member

12p is very nice. I have not heard the AN but the fact that it has a whizzer will likely make for a less precise response than the A12p which lacks a whizzer.
The 12p can cover your frequency range needs in the superpensil box, and it is remarkably nice and detailed to listen to.
Old 19th February 2013, 12:39 AM   #83
diyAudio Member

ok its a coaxial.. but who makes these drivers?

AUDIOMANUFACTURE BOENICKE AUDIO Studio 12 STUDIO MONITOR
Old 19th February 2013, 04:02 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

My current weapon of choice is a Celestion CX 1512 Standard Studio Series 15 ohm coaxial 12 in 2 way that features a single Mundorf Supreme 1.5 uF Cap as the only Crossover component. It sounds superb and is the best of all the bunch I have listened to that approaches the immediacy of the full range drivers but without the lack of extension at the extremes.
The Coral Beta 8 was lovely in what it did but the lack of bass and treble extension became annoying over time the Beta 10 had obviously better bass but the top end was the same. I think that all full rangers suffer the same issues. The {mostly} usual 10dB or more rise in response from resonsance to the upper response IM distortion issues & ragged top end response. Cudos to Seas for publishing unsmoothed reponse curves for its Exotic fullranger. This is one designers answer to these issues
Decware FRX Full Range Driver
The following companies are dealing with these issues in a way that combines the best of both worlds IE Using acoustic rather than electrical control of driver response & absolute minimal crossover components.
Gemme Audio Tanto Review
RD White Papers they are not only re-discovering this approach AKA Celestion in the mid 60's with the CX 1512 but re-defining it
Celestion CX1512 001.jpg

Last edited by theaudiopath; 19th February 2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 19th February 2013, 05:29 AM   #85
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaerts View Post
12p is very nice. I have not heard the AN but the fact that it has a whizzer will likely make for a less precise response than the A12p which lacks a whizzer.
The 12p can cover your frequency range needs in the superpensil box, and it is remarkably nice and detailed to listen to.
Agree with Talaerts, the Alpair 12P is a very nice sounding driver. I have tried it in a compact BR box and now listening to them in Pensil 12.2P cabinets. The driver is detailed but pleasant to listen to, with a slightly laid back sound. The mid-range is very natural sounding and the driver does not sound fatiguing or shouty at all. The HF extension for a 6.5" paper-cone FR without whizzer is impressive. The driver has an 8" frame but cone would really fall in the 6.5" driver class.
Old 19th February 2013, 08:26 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
ok its a coaxial.. but who makes these drivers?

AUDIOMANUFACTURE BOENICKE AUDIO Studio 12 STUDIO MONITOR
Tang Band
Old 19th February 2013, 07:05 PM   #87
DrBoar is offline DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Voxative is fantastic, do not like Lowther, if I want shouty drivers I might as well get some Philips 9710 and get good Dutch QC. I have about 10 different Seas drivers at home they all sound good so I expect the Seas 8" fullranges to be good as well.
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:03 AM   #88
diyAudio Member

Saba Greencone (Alnico magnet)
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:37 PM   #89
nirvana is offline nirvana  Canada
diyAudio Member

The best 8 " which I heard ? Supravox 215 Signature .
Old 22nd February 2013, 08:26 PM   #90
diyAudio Member

Default Supravox

I heard the 215 field coil at the US distributer's house in Southern California a few years back. They were in large rear loaded horn enclosures. Immersive, effortless, and mesmerizing as I recall. I've never heard anything close in a multi-way. I have not had the chance to compare another FR to the Supravox but I'm thinking about trying the Alpair 12P.

Hide this!Advertise here!