What's the best 8" fullrange that you've heard? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2012, 08:48 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Hi again zman01

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Good luck with your build also Olav, and look forward to hearing from you! Some sort of solid wood again this time? And how are the L'Amps performing?
Yea - I like wood and I like Fonken-style and the soundstage and bass it can produce!!
There ARE many different woods in the world..... and life is too short to not daring to take chances and be different!!!

And my hot L`resAmp is giving me pleasures in spades - have built a little Dac (direct out) since last time - and that is giving even more chills!

And you have some new other stuff.....???

Best

Olav
Old 19th October 2012, 09:10 PM   #32
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlavHaal View Post
And you have some new other stuff.....???

Best

Olav
Olav,

Been slowwww... the A12P are breaking in... I have yet to finish a FAST project which I started in March... also got the parts for 2 tube amps... any chance you can get on your chopper and fly over to help me out?

- Zia
Old 19th October 2012, 09:41 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

I really like the Alpair 12P, but it's a 6 1/2in unit rather than an 8in. The best 6 1/2in wideband driver currently on the market IMO, & the only one that makes a good fist of Julie Fowlis (put on M' fhearann saidhbhir on anything else, particularly if it has a whizzer cone, & you'll find out what I mean in about, oh, two bars). But it's still not an 8in driver. Granted, it shifts a hell of a lot more air than some 8in units I could mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Roberts View Post
It bears repeating because it is really difficult to extrapolate to the 755A sound having only heard a 755E. Totally different flavor.

Of course, it is difficult to put this kind of experiential knowledge into words that will make it come alive for someone who wasn't there, as it were.
Not really. Since I practically bleed Altec when it comes to audio, have a reasonable knowledge of the driver history, and don't exactly lack experience, I think I have a decent idea of what a good example of the A model will do. Which is why I said +1 regarding said driver in the first place.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 19th October 2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 20th October 2012, 06:09 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Since I practically bleed Altec when it comes to audio
Well then you would probably like 755As, even though it is nothing like any other Altec product.

Those late 40s 700 series WE designs are really distinctive and intriguing to no end. I'm listening to a pair of 756B 10" inchers right now and they are insane too.

I fully thought the 756B would be bassier and darker than the 755As, i.e. more like 728Bs, since they go lower than 755As(fs in the 60s) and are only rated to 10kc (down quite a bit @10k probably) but actually they are more "brilliant" and "well lit" as the reviewers used to say in the 80s.

So much for informed speculation, which is why I caution against it, even though I can't help doing it myself!

In any case, I cast my vote for best 8" full ranger for the impractical choice of 755A: satisfying standalone frequency balance (except on big orchestral), excellent bite and dynamics, super timbre and tone color--especially on jazz, blues, and vocals, and an incredible and distinctive illusion of realism.

One of the speakers that stood the test of time for me. 25 years and I still love them.
Old 20th October 2012, 06:52 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Smile Another time zia....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Olav,

Been slowwww... the A12P are breaking in... I have yet to finish a FAST project which I started in March... also got the parts for 2 tube amps... any chance you can get on your chopper and fly over to help me out?

- Zia
Hi Zman01!

1 of November i will go offshore with my chopper - so I hope to be finished with my Alp12P till that time. Lot of woodworking - but rest of family is to school/job so it is just to focus in free-time!! Maybe I`ll make it!
But I must postpone going to East(help you build your tube-gear) to another year or time

And there are other things that are coming: a Sowther to my Dac.... and family must have some support also!!

Best

Olav
Old 20th October 2012, 03:02 PM   #36
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Slagle's field-coil Lowther and the Voxativ neo are the best I have heard, but for my budget the Stephens 80FR alnico driver is my favorite.

John
Old 20th October 2012, 04:20 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Best Full Range?

Still to try: Pioneer similar to Klangfilm/Wigo with 2 small tweeters above the woofer (new to me; maybe open baffle)...

Peak/Coral 8" 80X-50: 15watt, 8 ohm, made in Japan: Ella, Sinatra, Nora Jones; 'Famous Blue Raincoat'; accapella, small jazz, acoustic...
CD's thru Marantz SA 8001 into Kenwood KA-3500...
Old 21st October 2012, 12:39 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Default stephens

Nice to see something on a "best" list that I own! Two pairs even. Should have kept the 12 inch ones. Of course the crackle finish on the cast basket and ring magnet would look proper on an OB.

Last edited by phivates; 21st October 2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 21st October 2012, 02:41 AM   #39
vaughn is offline vaughn  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phivates View Post
Nice to see something on a "best" list that I own! Two pairs even. Should have kept the 12 inch ones. Of course the crackle finish on the cast basket and ring magnet would look proper on an OB.
I've had both the 80FRs and 120FRs, wish I had kept them

Last edited by vaughn; 21st October 2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 21st October 2012, 03:31 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

I had 2 pairs of Stephens Trusonic FR80.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80FR Full Range pic1.jpg (91.5 KB, 1017 views)
File Type: jpg 80FR Full Range pic3.jpg (101.3 KB, 964 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!