What's the best 8" fullrange that you've heard? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2012, 03:35 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
W.E./Altec 755A.
On the basis of a brief listen to the E model a while back, +1. Pity nobody makes a reproduction 755 these days, aside from Line Magnetics, who do the field coil at an 'if you have to ask...' price, and the top end according to Clark Blumenstein is MIA so not sure what's happened there.
Old 18th October 2012, 03:48 PM   #12
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I'm surprised the Asians haven't, considering that over a decade ago Nick [Lambda Acoustics] found that the OEM still had all the molds, etc. to make the diaphragms, but wanted something like $100 each in lots of 10 k IIRC, way too much for a small company, but not a worldwide provider.

Hmm, it's pretty much done by 10 kHz, so would need a super tweeter today, but when it was designed, ~11 kHz/F10 was the 'bleeding edge' of reproduction capability.

GM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg we755a1ii3.jpg (397.3 KB, 1700 views)
Old 18th October 2012, 06:46 PM   #13
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Yeah, I'm surprised the Asians haven't, considering that over a decade ago Nick [Lambda Acoustics] found that the OEM still had all the molds, etc. to make the diaphragms, but wanted something like $100 each in lots of 10 k IIRC, way too much for a small company, but not a worldwide provider.

Hmm, it's pretty much done by 10 kHz, so would need a super tweeter today, but when it was designed, ~11 kHz/F10 was the 'bleeding edge' of reproduction capability.

GM

yeah, note the date in bottom right corner - 65yrs ago kids, why that's older than (some of) us
Old 18th October 2012, 07:15 PM   #14
miksin is offline miksin  Finland
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 18th October 2012, 09:51 PM   #15
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

even though I only heard it "open-air" at Bud Purvine's place a year or so ago, the Fostex F200A is kinda nice as well
Old 19th October 2012, 01:41 AM   #16
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbond3rd View Post
For me, it's a tie between the Lowther field coil driver (I believe it's a PM6A retro-fitted) and the Feastrex D9NF (which is nominally 9").
Remarkable. I own both, and that's close to my experience. The Lowther
should have the overhung 16 ohm silver voice coil, though.

Technically, the Feastrex is 9 inch.
Old 19th October 2012, 02:30 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

You, sir, have excellent taste Sadly, I own neither but I feel very lucky just to hear them when I can.
Old 19th October 2012, 02:32 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
On the basis of a brief listen to the E model a while back, +1.
755C/E aren't even close to the 755A. Don't have the HF extension or definition of the A, but they are good near full-range midranges. A bit boring as standalones and need tweeters to my ear.

Real 755As have a superb balance, seem to have more subjective HF than measured and produce bass in the proper proportion to the HF. It is still just about my favorite speaker, although a bitch to set up right. Easy to make it sound awful.

Who knows what that LM 755EX is...it seems to deviate quite a bit from 755A specs. 8 ohm instead of 4 ohm, efficiency is a bit down, fs is far lower than a real 755A according to the factory website (68 vs 95hz). and the biggie... field coil vs massive Alnico donut magnet.

It might be a good speaker but it is probably best viewed as its own thing rather than anything to do with a WE 755A except looks from the front.

Attempts were made in Japan to make repro 755As and replacement cones but nobody ever pulled it off to the satisfaction of people who know what real 755As can do.

I am a big fan of 755As but they just cost too much to take seriously unless you have stoopid piles of loose cash laying around--or if you get lucky and find some in the wild.

I just spent a few days hanging out with the top 755A experts in the world, Mukai and Doi of Western Sound Inc (Mr. Doi is resident WE expert at Stereo Sound and Tube Kingdom)...I put some of their comments on my blog at junkboxjukebox.com in posts about the 755A.
Old 19th October 2012, 03:09 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Roberts View Post
...I put some of their comments on my blog at junkboxjukebox.com in posts about the 755A.
You tease....

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: png junkboxjukebox.png (54.7 KB, 3131 views)
Old 19th October 2012, 03:17 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Wharfedale Super 8/FS/AL for me. When compared to Fostex FE208Sigma (haven't tried any other 'greats') these surely better them: highs without shrillness, open mids and way better lows. Convinced me finally that there's a connection between voice coil in full range drivers being one inch or smaller and faithful reproduction of mids/highs...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wharfedale-super8-fs-al 001.jpg (105.6 KB, 1516 views)
File Type: jpg wharfedale-super8-fs-al 002.jpg (53.1 KB, 326 views)

Last edited by fullrangeSR; 19th October 2012 at 03:26 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!