Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2013, 04:30 PM   #111
diyAudio Member

Old 8th April 2013, 12:22 AM   #112
rka is offline rka  United States
diyAudio Member

Today I found this thread and read it from beginning to end. Not being an expert, I was happy to find some opinions on the various FR drivers, how they sound subjectively.
I to am looking for "the best speaker" 8" or otherwise.
Back in 1973 I had graduated from college and had been working long enough to have saved up the money to buy a stereo system, my first big purchase as a working person. I bough a Quad 3, 33 and 303 (amp, preamp and tuner). In the process I was exposed to the Quad ESL speakers which I found amazing.
I also listened to a pair of JBL LE8T's that appeared to be haphazardly installed in a couple of backless speaker cabinets. I will never forget that sound. Easy, full and an unbelievable 3d sound stage.
But I had to settle for considerably less and eventually bought a pair of Rogers LS&'s which were really nice. Just not like the JBL LE8T's.
Fast forward to the present. I am retired living on social security and getting into the DIY hifi thing. I have built a couple of pairs of speakers. One pair utilizes the FE 126En in some BLH enclosures from Madisound. Not bad after 8 months. The other pair use the Mark Audio CHP 70 in the Slim Classic GR dKal-El70.3 0v8 I found and shamelessly used on the web. Maybe a hundred hours and they sound OK.
But one of the posters to this web site thread commented that these small drivers, though precise, are not always so easy to listen to for extended periods. Elsewhere on the thread (I think) several posters remarked that the Mark Audio Alpair 12 P does have that easy, warm and satisfying quality that allows one to listen without fatigue over long periods of time. How nice.
So is this the poor mans JBL LE8T?

Roger
Old 8th April 2013, 05:03 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

The Alpair 12p is a 6.5" or so driver, the LE8 is an 8", so not an apples to apples comparison. A better comparison would be the Fostex FX200 and F200a which are 8" copies of the LE8. I have the latter and it is every bit as good as the LE8 if not better, although I have not heard a pair of LE8 for decades. Having said that if you can build the proper rear loaded horn for the ESigma 208, that would be my choice. Hugely dynamic, plays all types of music and depending on your hearing may or may not need supertweets. Also, you get a bit more sensitivity if that matters. This is about as good as it gets for the single full range drivers. (Alas, and I don't care what others may say, but the inclusion of subs are by definition multi-drivers systems).

Regarding the smaller drivers inducing fatigue over extended listening, this has not been my experience. However, it's just that no matter how good the smaller drivers are (detail, treble, etc.) they just cannot produce deep enough bass and as such they cannot be satisfying over the long haul as at least an 8" full-range driver, IME. Smaller speakers for the desktop or background music are just fine and may even be preferable over 8" and larger full-range speakers.
Old 13th May 2013, 03:07 PM   #114
Legis is offline Legis  Finland
diyAudio Member

I'm looking forward to receive a pair of JBL 2115H. The looks and freq response seems to be pretty close to the LE8T, which many seem to like. I have never heard neither model. Too bad that they don't sell original re-foam kits anymore to these full range models, my pair needs new surrounds (have to get aftermarket foam kit).
Old 22nd May 2013, 01:04 AM   #115
diyAudio Member

Default Translation

GM do you read German?
Old 22nd May 2013, 05:41 AM   #116
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

No, Google translate.

GM
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:22 AM   #117
diyAudio Member

You're right, that's a great thread. I've tried to de-ossify surrounds with alcohol and naptha and anything else I thought might leave the adhesive intact but the same result; it stiffened up again. I'm old now. Any foam I apply will fail after me, so, foam it shall be.
I love the tweeter vc former shave.
Old 23rd May 2013, 04:30 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

There is this Fostex F200A I would like to try..... But the price.....is.......killing me........

Time to start saving up I guess

Who has first hand experience with these?
I'm not really keen (? spell) on Lowthers or other similar drivers, I would like to avoid wizzer cones. The LE8T is really tempting but also prices skyrocketed through the roof.....

Danny
Old 23rd May 2013, 06:46 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

I have played with Lowther DX2's and DX3's, Fostex FE206E, FE206En, FE207E,F200A, FF225WK and TB W8-1772. I have never warmed to Lowther. By the time th huge hump 5-8kHz is removed, one is left with a speaker no particular character and both weak bass and high treble. The FE206's are not suitable for resonant cabinets. The FE207E was a nice sounding but quirky driver. The FF225WK is a very nice sounding drive, a bit vintage sounding. It does require a tweeteer, as it dies above 8kHz. The F200A is the smoothest sounding of the Fostex drivers. Very good bass and adequate highs. That big honking alnico magnet is beautiful. To bad that it is hidden in the cabinet.

All of the above, but my favorite 8" driver is the TB-1772. Very good bass and surprisingly good top. Its character is determined by how the rising response is handled.

IMO
Bob
Old 23rd May 2013, 07:54 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

The F200A does look a bit interesting, and I see some very positive comments. Too bad Fostex doesn't publish the full T/S parameters so we could play with designs.

Cheers, Jim

Hide this!Advertise here!