What's the best 8" fullrange that you've heard?

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I listened to the Voxative at RMAF 2012. It was quite similar to other full range drivers with whizzers. Nothing profoundly different. I found the Rethm speakers, with Lowthers, to be much better sounding than the Vox.

It's Audio Nirvana for me, the poor man's Lowther.

i heard the Voxativ last week for a few album sides. We have a pair in the factory in Korea to check out. I thought they were a bit more controlled and smooth than standard Lowthers based on a casual listen. I don't know the model but the cabinet was quite small too.

The problem with all those whizz/lowther type speakers is the dang boxes. No easy way out.

I see even Mr. Pass gives his nod to the Lowther and the Feastrex D9NF. I wish I can hear these one day. And the Altec 755A too! I want to experience the magic.

zman01, I'm still experimenting with cabinets for my A12P. I think I will end up with simple sealed w/subwoofer. It just sounds quicker and more authoritative this way. I've been doing all sorts of measurements but it's really an art with fullranges. I'm experimenting with adding a supertweeter. It's a lot of trial and error, but it's fun. Some people take this hobby way too seriously, arguing passive vs active, tube vs SS endlessly trying to be right. Those people scare me.

The A12P midrange is magical. Soundstage is wide, seems like the sound is coming from behind the speakers, sometimes the sound is coming from everywhere. It is warm and very pleasant to listen to. Compared to smaller drivers it sounds more effortless. All your music will sound good on these. You have a nice lady and some A12P and you will be happy.

ra7,

IIRC I read at 6moons that Rethm was now using in house drivers for their new models - I might be wrong though. They definitely had Lowther earlier.

cotdt,

From whatever I have listened to A12P while they are breaking in, I very much agree with your observations - the midrange is very nice and vocals are very natural sounding. I am with you on the effortlessness part too - maybe that is something to do with the larger cone area and driver design - even for the older A12 metal it does better in dynamics and filling the room vs smaller MA drivers (Alp 7.3, El-70) which have more finesse but need to work harder on certain genres and in bigger spaces.

Good to know that you are experimeting with the driver - look forward to more observations/combinations that sound good.

Various Lowthers: shouty stridend quality
Philips 9710: Similar to Lowthers
Goodman Axiette: Better than above but still not as good as some Philips 6.5" fullrange drivers that simply sound right.
Voxative: the by far best full range loudspeaker I have ever heard. Also one of the best speakers of any kind I have heard, at least with classical music. I have no idea how they hold up with brutal power music be it Ramstein or Kodo temple drums

I'm well aware the A model is supposed to outstrip it.

It bears repeating because it is really difficult to extrapolate to the 755A sound having only heard a 755E. Totally different flavor.

Of course, it is difficult to put this kind of experiential knowledge into words that will make it come alive for someone who wasn't there, as it were.

What I get with the 755A and I'd love to find in a cheaper, readily available alternative is a crisp and clean sound with a lot of color, rich and juicy when they should be without sounding at all slow. I have described the sound as "Quads with balls" because they energize the air like an electrostat but have more bite on the leading edge.

The C and E versions are more typical, slightly fat and rolled off sounding eight inchers, pleasant but nothing special.

I agree with previous poster that Voxativ sounded pretty good. Here's a pic of the ones that I heard--bright white cones. I asked "Wow, what's playing" because they did not strike my ear as "lowthers."

Attachments

• silbalisteningroom.jpg
    silbalisteningroom.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 2,804
Me too -- me too.....

ra7,

IIRC I read at 6moons that Rethm was now using in house drivers for their new models - I might be wrong though. They definitely had Lowther earlier.

cotdt,

From whatever I have listened to A12P while they are breaking in, I very much agree with your observations - the midrange is very nice and vocals are very natural sounding. I am with you on the effortlessness part too - maybe that is something to do with the larger cone area and driver design - even for the older A12 metal it does better in dynamics and filling the room vs smaller MA drivers (Alp 7.3, El-70) which have more finesse but need to work harder on certain genres and in bigger spaces.

Good to know that you are experimeting with the driver - look forward to more observations/combinations that sound good.

Hi zman and cotdt!!

Upstairs in my house there is a pair of Alp12P warming up - really nice in colour and style(sound will come in time)!:):)
I have a somewhat new plan for the box and will post pics and plan in a new thread soon!
Hope it will be as good or better than my Alp10.2 that is shining with my selfSIT mono`s.

Good luck with your builds both!

Back in a couple of weeks with more!

Best

Olav

Hi again zman01

Good luck with your build also Olav, and look forward to hearing from you! Some sort of solid wood again this time? :) And how are the L'Amps performing?

Yea - I like wood and I like Fonken-style and the soundstage and bass it can produce!!
There ARE many different woods in the world..... and life is too short to not daring to take chances and be different!!!

And my hot L`resAmp is giving me pleasures in spades - have built a little Dac (direct out) since last time - and that is giving even more chills!
:cool:
And you have some new other stuff.....???

Best

Olav

I really like the Alpair 12P, but it's a 6 1/2in unit rather than an 8in. The best 6 1/2in wideband driver currently on the market IMO, & the only one that makes a good fist of Julie Fowlis (put on M' fhearann saidhbhir on anything else, particularly if it has a whizzer cone, & you'll find out what I mean in about, oh, two bars). But it's still not an 8in driver. Granted, it shifts a hell of a lot more air than some 8in units I could mention.

It bears repeating because it is really difficult to extrapolate to the 755A sound having only heard a 755E. Totally different flavor.

Of course, it is difficult to put this kind of experiential knowledge into words that will make it come alive for someone who wasn't there, as it were.

Not really. Since I practically bleed Altec when it comes to audio, have a reasonable knowledge of the driver history, and don't exactly lack experience, I think I have a decent idea of what a good example of the A model will do. Which is why I said +1 regarding said driver in the first place.

Last edited:
Since I practically bleed Altec when it comes to audio

Well then you would probably like 755As, even though it is nothing like any other Altec product.

Those late 40s 700 series WE designs are really distinctive and intriguing to no end. I'm listening to a pair of 756B 10" inchers right now and they are insane too.

I fully thought the 756B would be bassier and darker than the 755As, i.e. more like 728Bs, since they go lower than 755As(fs in the 60s) and are only rated to 10kc (down quite a bit @10k probably) but actually they are more "brilliant" and "well lit" as the reviewers used to say in the 80s.

So much for informed speculation, which is why I caution against it, even though I can't help doing it myself!

In any case, I cast my vote for best 8" full ranger for the impractical choice of 755A: satisfying standalone frequency balance (except on big orchestral), excellent bite and dynamics, super timbre and tone color--especially on jazz, blues, and vocals, and an incredible and distinctive illusion of realism.

One of the speakers that stood the test of time for me. 25 years and I still love them.

Another time zia....

Olav,

Been slowwww... the A12P are breaking in... I have yet to finish a FAST project which I started in March... also got the parts for 2 tube amps... any chance you can get on your chopper and fly over to help me out? :D

- Zia

Hi Zman01!

1 of November i will go offshore with my chopper - so I hope to be finished with my Alp12P till that time. Lot of woodworking - but rest of family is to school/job so it is just to focus in free-time!! Maybe I`ll make it!
But I must postpone going to East(help you build your tube-gear) to another year or time:cool:;)

And there are other things that are coming: a Sowther to my Dac.... and family must have some support also!!

Best

Olav

Best Full Range?

Still to try: Pioneer similar to Klangfilm/Wigo with 2 small tweeters above the woofer (new to me; maybe open baffle)...

Peak/Coral 8" 80X-50: 15watt, 8 ohm, made in Japan: Ella, Sinatra, Nora Jones; 'Famous Blue Raincoat'; accapella, small jazz, acoustic...
CD's thru Marantz SA 8001 into Kenwood KA-3500...