What's the best 8" fullrange that you've heard?

Do you think that 215-2000 will be able to work at is best in a TP1 corner Horn ? Did you compare it to lowther ? What are there tone difference ?
For info, that would be for a 2A3, listening classical music

Jules

I've never heard lowther loudpeakers and in only use class D amps with medium to very low efficiency loudpeakers at home.

I was a little doubtfull with the 215-2000, his motor was very hot.
Almost too hot to touch (lauthing out loud in my head) and i've listened Martin Logan electrostatic big pannels just before (absolutely fantastic loudspeakers).
My head stopped to laugh immediately after the music starts, it was extremely energic and natural, the lows were amazing for a 21cm driver.

It was these ones :
http://ebenisterie-musique.fr/Docs/Lembda Piel.pdf

Last edited:
Hello,
i listen until 1980 mainly 8" FR, i found that there is no best driver, a lot of driver sound and measured nearly equal.
for example the B200 for classic listeners, because no whizzer cone, end ~12kHz, but Rms ~0,4 very good for low level listening.
Seas Fa22RCZ, superb, best mids because the membranmaterial and the small HT cone.
Sica 8 D 1,5 CS 8, for the money excellent, dust cup.
TB W8-1772, superb, but Rms ~1,6, at very low level you can miss details.
all drivers show on IEC baffle a rising response over 1000Hz, to taime it passiv is possible,
but not a must. i developed the double horn technic: ad an different driver invers indirect, to fill up below ~ 1,500 Hz, to get full SPL, low level of membranmovement and a better soundstage.
look my HP double horns, with feedback, measurements and plans.

a lot of driver have only Xlin. 1 mm that´s even in a horn most time enough for one Watt,
but it limits the bass and in single horns also at ~150 Hz the performance,
so they are not the hit.

Attachments

• RDH20 TB1772 monacorSPH-210 web.jpg
    RDH20 TB1772 monacorSPH-210 web.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 1,002
  • rdh20seasBB1.jpg
    rdh20seasBB1.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 998
  • rdhb200.jpg
    rdhb200.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 988
Hello,
i listen until 1980 mainly 8" FR, i found that there is no best driver, a lot of driver sound and measured nearly equal.
for example the B200 for classic listeners, because no whizzer cone, end ~12kHz, but Rms ~0,4 very good for low level listening.
Seas Fa22RCZ, superb, best mids because the membranmaterial and the small HT cone.
Sica 8 D 1,5 CS 8, for the money excellent, dust cup.
TB W8-1772, superb, but Rms ~1,6, at very low level you can miss details.
all drivers show on IEC baffle a rising response over 1000Hz, to taime it passiv is possible,
but not a must. i developed the double horn technic: ad an different driver invers indirect, to fill up below ~ 1,500 Hz, to get full SPL, low level of membranmovement and a better soundstage.
look my HP double horns, with feedback, measurements and plans.

a lot of driver have only Xlin. 1 mm that´s even in a horn most time enough for one Watt,
but it limits the bass and in single horns also at ~150 Hz the performance,
so they are not the hit.

Your baffle is original and beatiful.
There are two separate horns ?
The surpression at the end of the horn d'ont affect the fillrange membranne ?

Last edited:
no came back from open baffle

Some designs are attractive :innocent:
My acutally listening room is a cube of 8m² and my Orions d'ont work great in this small environement... i'm trying to find a small room design.

silverprout, you can get "every" design you want.

A world of infinite possibilities, great !

Last edited:
A bit of a thread resurrection, but the question of 8 inch full range drivers is consuming me right now.

I have a pair of MA CHP-70.2 right now in the slim reflex and quite like them. I specifically chose the CHP because I wanted a softer top end. But now I would like to try a larger driver in an attempt to get a little more "presence" and "weight" to the music.

I use a digital front end with various tube amps to power the speakers, and listen to an eclectic mix of music. But I like jazz, male vocals, and classic rock.

I think I've narrowed my decision down to the Alpair 12p in the compact bass reflex or the FF225wk in its bass reflex. I move often, so the bass reflex designs are more convenient.

Would either of these deliver a "bigger CHP" type of signature? I love warm and lush.

Not an 8" driver, but the Alpair 10P is capable of delivering decent bass capability with an enclosure like the FH-XL or an MLTL cabinets like M10-A10/ Pensil/ Jim Griffin MLTL. There is a bass reflex box for the Alpair 10P also, but the FHXL and MLTL variants give more LF performance. The Alpair 10.x drivers actually go lower than the Alpair 12P.

Btw, in my experience 2-way/multi-way is better for rock music.

How is your Carrera playing?

Not an 8" driver, but the Alpair 10P is capable of delivering decent bass capability with an enclosure like the FH-XL or an MLTL cabinets like M10-A10/ Pensil/ Jim Griffin MLTL. There is a bass reflex box for the Alpair 10P also, but the FHXL and MLTL variants give more LF performance. The Alpair 10.x drivers actually go lower than the Alpair 12P.

Btw, in my experience 2-way/multi-way is better for rock music.

How is your Carrera playing?

But then that is talkin' bout a subwoofer ye?

If it's partially about woofers too:
My 8" happily goes down to a solid 26/27Hz when powered at 2/3rds or it's REAL RMS value (and not the inflated 150W it claims).84 +/-dB isn't bad at that frequency.

Nevermind.

Last edited:
Zman,
LOVE the Carreras! They just dig deep and have such a great tone to them. I'm doing them a bit of disservice by using just a NAD D3020. I'm very intrigued by Schiit Audio's entry into speaker amps that is coming out this spring (the Vidar).

But now I want to put together a second listening spot that really leans toward being rich/warm/lush. I have also considered the 10p, seeing that it will dig deeper, but opinions seem to tend toward the 12p being more forgiving of modern music or poorer recordings. But, what I like about the CHP is the shelved top end, and the response chart for the FF225wk seems to be more similar than the 10p or 12p. I'm not necessarily looking for deeper bass, but more "size". Though honestly, perhaps that is a factor of deeper bass.

I have all the parts to build a Voxel subwoofer design, and maybe the CHP 2.1 will tick the boxes, but I am so enticed by those big single drivers.