Supravox 215 Signature Bicone vs. Tang Band W8-1808 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2012, 02:32 PM   #1
NiToNi is offline NiToNi  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Supravox 215 Signature Bicone vs. Tang Band W8-1808

I am trying to decide which one to use in an open baffle configuration, most likely with bass (<120-140Hz) and treble (>8-10k) support.

Has anyone compared these two drivers? If so, I would be very happy to hear your thoughts. Hell, I'd be happy to hear some opinions even based on hearsay and speculation...!
Old 16th October 2012, 04:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I like the TB but never had the pleasure of hearing the Supravox.

That said, I am going to seal up my TB 1808 and partner them with a powered subwoofer. They work on OB (as do anything else) but using a 2' x 4' baffle they do not reach 120 - 140hz as you desire. If I remember correctly they may kiss 150hz - please correct me if I am mistaken. A small sealed box will get me down to about 85hz but the bass was pleasant and natural sounding (to me). If you were building an OB and blending a sub around 150 - 200hz I think it would be an excellent choice.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 16th October 2012, 05:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Godzilla.

The baffle will be about 1.5' wide for the midrange (2' for the woofers) so it may not even kiss 150 Hz. I will just have to measure and see but I don't want to run the two AE OB15's too high.

Measurements aside, I wonder if the Supravox has better tone qualities.
Old 16th October 2012, 08:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

>>> Measurements aside, I wonder if the Supravox has better tone qualities.

So do I.

LOL, sorry I'm not much help. I have a great OB setup that's really enjoyable but using a 12" wide range driver to get me closer to 150hz for a smooth rolloff to powered H-frames. I am not sure the TB 1808 will provide as solid a blend. That's why I was going to seal them up. Others have built OBs for this driver with good subjective results.

Keep us posted.
Old 23rd October 2012, 03:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes I have seen your current setup in other threads as well as your old threads about the TB 1808. Very tempting to go for a larger mid-range driver to capture the fundamental fun and liveliness in music, and I will probably try at some point (Beyma15XA38Nd) but I will kick-off my OB project with an 8" to begin with.

The thing about the Supravox and the TB 1808 is that they both look very similar on paper so it would be very interesting to know how they differ subjectively.

I also wonder how these two cone drivers would fair against a BG Neo10 if the passband for comparison is tightened up a bit to 300-3000 Hz...?
Old 23rd October 2012, 06:27 PM   #6
Account disabled at member's request

im goign to have a lsiten this week to supravox 215 non bicone version.

I will report! I will be able to compare supravox with my fostex fe127en
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Awesome, please do! Will they be in an OB or something else? With a tweeter since no whizzer cone?
Old 24th October 2012, 12:52 AM   #8

I have no idea about the enclosure. I will go for a listen to the distributor this week or maybe next. will report back...
Old 24th October 2012, 10:49 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

If you don't mind, push it a bit SPL-wise too to see how it behaves then, please. I am a bit worried how capable it is at higher volume levels (distorsion, dynamics and power compression etc).

Cheers
Old 28th October 2012, 08:15 PM   #10

hi, Nitoni sorry. it will be in around a month that I'll eb able to auditionned the supravox. however, the good new is that I will be comparing the supravox with also a new speaker using the mark audio alpair 12p, so it will be even more interesting to know which one is the best

jay

Hide this!Advertise here!