Supravox 215 Signature Bicone vs. Tang Band W8-1808

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to decide which one to use in an open baffle configuration, most likely with bass (<120-140Hz) and treble (>8-10k) support.

Has anyone compared these two drivers? If so, I would be very happy to hear your thoughts. Hell, I'd be happy to hear some opinions even based on hearsay and speculation...! :D

I like the TB but never had the pleasure of hearing the Supravox.

That said, I am going to seal up my TB 1808 and partner them with a powered subwoofer. They work on OB (as do anything else) but using a 2' x 4' baffle they do not reach 120 - 140hz as you desire. If I remember correctly they may kiss 150hz - please correct me if I am mistaken. A small sealed box will get me down to about 85hz but the bass was pleasant and natural sounding (to me). If you were building an OB and blending a sub around 150 - 200hz I think it would be an excellent choice.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Godzilla.

The baffle will be about 1.5' wide for the midrange (2' for the woofers) so it may not even kiss 150 Hz. I will just have to measure and see but I don't want to run the two AE OB15's too high.

Measurements aside, I wonder if the Supravox has better tone qualities.

>>> Measurements aside, I wonder if the Supravox has better tone qualities.

So do I.

LOL, sorry I'm not much help. I have a great OB setup that's really enjoyable but using a 12" wide range driver to get me closer to 150hz for a smooth rolloff to powered H-frames. I am not sure the TB 1808 will provide as solid a blend. That's why I was going to seal them up. Others have built OBs for this driver with good subjective results.

Keep us posted.

Yes I have seen your current setup in other threads as well as your old threads about the TB 1808. Very tempting to go for a larger mid-range driver to capture the fundamental fun and liveliness in music, and I will probably try at some point (Beyma15XA38Nd) but I will kick-off my OB project with an 8" to begin with.

The thing about the Supravox and the TB 1808 is that they both look very similar on paper so it would be very interesting to know how they differ subjectively.

I also wonder how these two cone drivers would fair against a BG Neo10 if the passband for comparison is tightened up a bit to 300-3000 Hz...?

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
hi, Nitoni sorry. it will be in around a month that I'll eb able to auditionned the supravox. however, the good new is that I will be comparing the supravox with also a new speaker using the mark audio alpair 12p, so it will be even more interesting to know which one is the best

jay

Why only 18" wide?

Thanks Godzilla.

The baffle will be about 1.5' wide for the midrange (2' for the woofers) so it may not even kiss 150 Hz. I will just have to measure and see but I don't want to run the two AE OB15's too high.

Measurements aside, I wonder if the Supravox has better tone qualities.

NiToNi: Why only 18" wide? If the woofers will sit on a 24" wide portion of the baffle, then why only 18" for the fullrange? If needing a driver to go subjectively deeper, a wider baffle will help. This should help the hand-off between woofers and the FR of your choice. Personally I like the idea of self powered subs handling the bottom end and FR drivers on top, in an OB as per the Linkwitz Orions (but using FR as a fullrange, not a typical 2 way combination). This is is exactly what I did when designing the Spirits. 10" woof/sub and a FR in a small baffle. Cosmetically a tribute to the Orion loudspeakers, but fundamentally different system. I originally called them the "Spirit of Orion" loudspeaker. What I was suggesting was that they are "in the spirit of the Linkwitz Lab Orion loudspeakers", but have since truncated the name for them to the "Spirits"

The Orion has the following characteristic features:
  • loudspeaker type: 2 way OB mounted loudspeaker
  • electronics: custom bespoke amplifiers, crossovers
  • woofer/sub type: "W" style open type

The Spirits have the following:
  • loudspeaker type: OB mounted fullrange driver
  • electronics: easily available plate amplifiers with built in passive crossovers
  • woofer/sub type: sealed 10" down firing sub

Initially the Spirits were to be aperiodic, however we ended up sealing the cabinets.

If using a single OB, I think a 24" wide OB would be fine (with appropriate supporting electronics).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.