Interesting 8" driver for a mono fan, big alnico magnet - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2012, 10:03 PM   #1
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Interesting 8" driver for a mono fan, big alnico magnet

Vintage 8" Cletron Cathedral Series Extended Range Speaker -- 8 ohm | eBay

Hi, found on my surfing travels, never heard of them, rgds, sreten.
Old 16th October 2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

A friend of mine has a larger pair, silver coloured dust cap. Beams like a lighthouse though despite the whizzer - not sure why.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 16th October 2012, 03:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Cool. I have been thinking of setting up a mono system (going thru a divorce forces you to save money as well as think small since you live in smaller spaces). I was going to seal up a TB 1808 and plop it atop a sub... I have a mono solid state amp. Does anyone know if there are any more reasonably priced (sub $100) T-amps that are mono?

I also wonder if one driver will fill the room with sound the way a stereo pair does?

Any insight?
Old 16th October 2012, 06:56 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Still going on?! Yikes!!

Well, mono will be ~3 dB less efficient and will have less reflective power, but properly corner load a BIB or relatively small BLH and you'll get an overall better performing 'stereo' IF the recording has good spacial cues. The most realistic 'stereo' [i.e. live, you are there] I've heard was a 1960 mono Chet Atkins LP recorded at his home and Bill Evans recorded at Don Elliott's studio.

Note that this was through a large ~ 90x40 deg compression loaded system though, which projects a much deeper sound-stage than a typical cone/dome speaker, so with a 'FR' driver it ideally needs to be either a 15" or a small one in a conical horn to limit corner reflections.

GM
Old 18th October 2012, 01:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default mono

You're actually considering giving up stereo? That's harsh. We see and hear in stereo. Maybe you've given up enough already. JMO of course

Hide this!Advertise here!