32 Identical Fostex Drivers - Vaughn Cabernet II - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2012, 07:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 32 Identical Fostex Drivers - Vaughn Cabernet II

Here's a a noteworthy design I came across yesterday (at RMAF in Denver), called the Vaughn Cabernet II. Apparently to boost the world economy, it conspicuously consumes a total of 32 Fostex drivers per stereo pair (and that's just for the midrange).

Each speaker has 8 forward-facing drivers, and 8 rear-facing drivers. The web site says 4" drivers but they didn't look like the FE103En to my weary eyes, so I assume they are in fact the 4.5 FE126En. These speakers were in the Wavelength Audio room (and was quite crowded).

The sound was really ear-pleasing. I wonder if they are going for any of the physics of a line array. If so, perhaps it is subtle as it just sounded like a nice, neutral, easy-going design sans flash (as opposed to, say, Don Keele's CBT array which is like getting lost in a freaky forest of sounds coming from everywhere and nowhere at once).

It's always nice to see and hear a flat-out overkill design like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vaughn.jpg (529.5 KB, 424 views)
Old 15th October 2012, 07:27 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbond3rd View Post
The web site says 4" drivers but they didn't look like the FE103En to my weary eyes, so I assume they are in fact the 4.5 FE126En.
I concur.

dave
Old 15th October 2012, 08:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I disagree gents. Some slightly better closeups here: Speakers

Take a very close look at the frames on those drivers; specifically the corners. If that was the FE126En, those corners would clipped at 45 degrees. Since they're not, it's almost certain to be the FE103En.

And no, I'm not that sad. I just opened up the data sheets out of interest & noticed the detail difference in the frame & compared. OK, that's sad enough I grant you, but at least I didn't know it off-hand. Either way, should be easy enough to DIY.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 15th October 2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 15th October 2012, 10:25 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
I disagree gents. Some slightly better closeups here: Speakers

Take a very close look at the frames on those drivers; specifically the corners. If that was the FE126En, those corners would clipped at 45 degrees. Since they're not, it's almost certain to be the FE103En.

And no, I'm not that sad. I just opened up the data sheets out of interest & noticed the detail difference in the frame & compared. OK, that's sad enough I grant you, but at least I didn't know it off-hand. Either way, should be easy enough to DIY.

If I read the "data sheet" correctly, those are passive radiators on the sides. I guess 16 FE103s per side in a bipole arrangement could dig that deep, but I'd be inclined to find other ways to spend $8000 (or a whole lot less) but then to equate low production "retail" to DIY budgets is a bit unfair.

Nice enough job on the enclosures, and considering they were demoed in the Wavelength room, no doubt the total system was very ear pleasing.
Old 16th October 2012, 12:55 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
I disagree gents...

By Jove you are right... i was going on the relative proportion of the cone, but when you can see the frame, the proportions do look more like FE103En, I have both on my desk at the moment i'll snap a picture.

One thing those pics also show is that they are bamboo plywood, but it looks like they didn't bother to use the better stuff.

dave
Old 16th October 2012, 03:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Aha, I stand corrected. Funny how big those drivers seem in the Vaughn.

I guess size is relative as I've been living with the FE83En's, which make everything else seem huge. (Picture is the FE103En's on the left, FE126E's on the right.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fe103en_vs_fe126e.jpg (341.0 KB, 305 views)
Old 16th October 2012, 07:55 AM   #7
Pnotus is offline Pnotus  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbond3rd View Post
It's always nice to see and hear a flat-out overkill design like this.
And - they are beautiful.

The side firing woofers - passive?

/Pontus
Old 16th October 2012, 08:12 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Not woofers, passive radiators. They don't have a motor. Looks like the 12in Dayton Audio NS310 currently on clearance offer at PartsXpress: Dayton Audio NS310-PR 12" Cast Frame Passive Radiator 295-140

Going by the dimensions on the site, the alignment of 16 103s with two of these PBRs doesn't look so great to me, but YMMV. They're pretty boxes though.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 16th October 2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 16th October 2012, 08:30 AM   #9
Pnotus is offline Pnotus  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Ah - ok, my bad.

Would this be a good solution for bass extension if properly aligned? Still bettered by a 12" horn, I guess. If the size factor wasn´t always there..
Old 16th October 2012, 09:49 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yes & no. Passive radiators are most commonly used in situations when a vent would be very (perhaps impracticably) long for a given box size, although there are other uses of course. I can't say I've ever used them myself, although I've nothing against them. They have their advantages and disadvantages like everything else.

Hide this!Advertise here!