Totem Arro info needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Other than the manufactures website does anybody know where to look for some info on these speakers?

I know that they were supposed to be loaded with some sort of sand like material (I think, please dont pick on me if that sounds totally insane, it sounds insane to me).

What I am looking for is some info on the design aspects of the speaker. Like what makes them so darn expensive for one.

Being a former Klipsch Cornwall and Lascalla owner, I am having a hard time looking at these speakers and seeing the performance the claim to have. I havent been able to hook them up yet but plan to shortly.

Other than the manufactures website does anybody know where to look for some info on these speakers?

I know that they were supposed to be loaded with some sort of sand like material (I think, please dont pick on me if that sounds totally insane, it sounds insane to me).

What I am looking for is some info on the design aspects of the speaker. Like what makes them so darn expensive for one.

Being a former Klipsch Cornwall and Lascalla owner, I am having a hard time looking at these speakers and seeing the performance the claim to have. I havent been able to hook them up yet but plan to shortly.

there's nothing insane, nor new for that matter about using something like the suspended borosilicate glass material as part of the enclosure's damping scheme

what makes any product so darn expensive? well for one, there may some time consuming and costly materials / processes involved, and for another - well the psychology of retail pricing structure is a whole 'nother discussion

yes, it's hard not to be skeptical about a product pronounced by the manufacturer as "defying the laws of physics" - honest engineers must choke on their coffee when they read how the ad copy writers interpret the technical notes - but your last sentence suggests that you'll soon be in position to hook a pair of these up, at which point I guess you'll be able to judge for yourself

I figured that they were an somewhat overpriced set. And I am sure that they go for much less in the real world.

In any case they will probably sound great for the mobile home I am putting them in. I know thousand dollars saddle on a hundred dollar horse. But I didnt pay anything for them really, and they fit his purpose before he passed.

He was going to move to baku for work, and he couldnt really carry anything much bigger. And knowing him, he got them somehow for a song. There is no way he would have paid a large coin for these.

Thanks for the info,
Mark

They use lock mitered joints that are very difficult and precision is key.
The veneer they use is of extremely high quality.
I have a Totem Mite TC center channel and I LOVE it.

all fair enough, and we could argue til the next blue moon ;) about the relative audibility of materials or construction techniques, but for those to whom the sound of something they have heard is "meh", the value quotient could be lower than a decent DIY

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I would agree, I bought my Mite TC long before I got into DIY.
Now......I would have rather spent the $350 from the Mite TC on an LCR setup of the Zaph BAMTM Sealed.
That doesn't mean that I don't like my Mite TC anymore.
But, it will probably end up on E-Bay after I finish my own Dayton MTM LCR setup for home theater.

I always thought Totem made nice compromises but their speakers just don't excite me.

They use pretty standard drivers you can buy at PE or Madisound (I have not checked but I'm sure similar woofers and tweeters are easily purchased). They are simple two way designs. I no longer believe in magic crossovers so you will either like or dislike the designers choice in voicing (crossover). But the reason I am not excited by them is because they are opposite what I am trying to accomplish with my diy designs. Where I prefer higher efficiency and no crossover (in the critical ranges of approximately 2 - 6khz) to be able to use lower power, cleaner sounding amps (like the T-amps and low powered tube jobs out there). Totem uses lower efficiency woofers that extend deeper into the bass (by far) but require crossovers in critical ranges to extend their response upwards. They also need higher powered amps... me no like the sound of most large solid state amps.

I've listened to various Totems and they have impressive bass for their size. I believe that plus that they look great is why they have their fans. Certainly not bad sounding speakers.

I guess in the end I simply prefer a full range driver in a box (of some kind) and helper woofers and tweeters outside critical ranges.

I always thought Totem made nice compromises
but their speakers just don't excite me.

I've listened to various Totems and they have
impressive bass for their size. I believe that
plus that they look great is why they have
their fans. Certainly not bad sounding speakers.

Hi,

A fair summation compared to other commercial speakers.

The same compromises can be made in DIY, WAF form
factor without chucking the bass completely away, but
like all compromises YMMV as to how they suit you.

rgds, sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.