Totem Arro info needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2012, 03:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Totem Arro info needed

Other than the manufactures website does anybody know where to look for some info on these speakers?

I know that they were supposed to be loaded with some sort of sand like material (I think, please dont pick on me if that sounds totally insane, it sounds insane to me).

What I am looking for is some info on the design aspects of the speaker. Like what makes them so darn expensive for one.

Being a former Klipsch Cornwall and Lascalla owner, I am having a hard time looking at these speakers and seeing the performance the claim to have. I havent been able to hook them up yet but plan to shortly.
Old 14th October 2012, 05:12 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbat13 View Post
Other than the manufactures website does anybody know where to look for some info on these speakers?

I know that they were supposed to be loaded with some sort of sand like material (I think, please dont pick on me if that sounds totally insane, it sounds insane to me).

What I am looking for is some info on the design aspects of the speaker. Like what makes them so darn expensive for one.

Being a former Klipsch Cornwall and Lascalla owner, I am having a hard time looking at these speakers and seeing the performance the claim to have. I havent been able to hook them up yet but plan to shortly.

there's nothing insane, nor new for that matter about using something like the suspended borosilicate glass material as part of the enclosure's damping scheme

what makes any product so darn expensive? well for one, there may some time consuming and costly materials / processes involved, and for another - well the psychology of retail pricing structure is a whole 'nother discussion

yes, it's hard not to be skeptical about a product pronounced by the manufacturer as "defying the laws of physics" - honest engineers must choke on their coffee when they read how the ad copy writers interpret the technical notes - but your last sentence suggests that you'll soon be in position to hook a pair of these up, at which point I guess you'll be able to judge for yourself
Old 14th October 2012, 05:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

AFAIK the Arro is essentially a BR standmount with integrated stands, i.e. a slim floorstander that is internally partitioned: the drivers, vent, XO etc. are in the top & the bottom is empty, but can be filled with sand, antibacterial cat litter or whatever to improve stability. That's it, really.
Old 14th October 2012, 08:18 PM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Audio Ideas Guide Hi-Fi and Home Theater Equipment Reviews: Totem Arro Loudspeaker

Hi,

A classic case of a speaker you can DIY an equivalent for very
much less. Bass/mid is Peerless, can't spot the tweeter maker.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 14th October 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 14th October 2012, 09:10 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I've heard them. Nothing special except the elegant aesthetic (one of the reasons Scott & i did an EL70 box with the same aesthetics -- EL-rro ML-TL)

dave
Old 14th October 2012, 10:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I figured that they were an somewhat overpriced set. And I am sure that they go for much less in the real world.

In any case they will probably sound great for the mobile home I am putting them in. I know thousand dollars saddle on a hundred dollar horse. But I didnt pay anything for them really, and they fit his purpose before he passed.

He was going to move to baku for work, and he couldnt really carry anything much bigger. And knowing him, he got them somehow for a song. There is no way he would have paid a large coin for these.

Thanks for the info,
Mark
Old 14th October 2012, 10:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
(one of the reasons Scott & i did an EL70 box with the same aesthetics -- EL-rro ML-TL)
No kidding. Did Chris build boxes?

jeff
Old 14th October 2012, 11:06 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Nope. We haven't built these... lots of more interesting ones if drivers could be spared.

dave
Old 15th October 2012, 09:43 PM   #9
xjr100 is offline xjr100  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbat13 View Post
I figured that they were an somewhat overpriced set.
Last weekend I auditioned even more expensive Forest, and can that they are also overpriced.
You mentioned them for mobile home - take in account that they are rear ported, they will not sound good if they very close to the wall.
Old 15th October 2012, 09:49 PM   #10
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

They use lock mitered joints that are very difficult and precision is key.
The veneer they use is of extremely high quality.
I have a Totem Mite TC center channel and I LOVE it.

Hide this!Advertise here!