EL70?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since this is an EL-70 thread, no harm in saying it again - pretty amazing drivers! :)

Indeed. The only drivers I will ever need. But will they last until I am dead (or deaf) ?

Is this where we get to hope that with a bit more patience, gentle persuasion, and minimum order (can we say "group buy"?), that Mark might be able to "replace" the EL70.

Of course, who knows what he already has on the drawing board ?

why does Mark have to invest anything in development costs - if there really is a DIY market for the EL-70 still, could he not simply run another batch through production without changing anything ? - in which case the issue is cash flow and inventory not R&D.

There was quite a detailed discussion about this earlier in the year when Dave and Bob said they could see the bottom of the EL70 pile. There might be some hope for people looking to finance a run of parts.

I am interested to see what might happen. I may not have a set of EL70s left if a particular family member get what they want!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/210370-any-update-paper-drivers-yet-mark-3.html

Kyle

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
why does Mark have to invest anything in development costs - if there really is a DIY market for the EL-70 still, could he not simply run another batch through production without changing anything ? - in which case the issue is cash flow and inventory not R&D.

The spider used on the EL70 is, IB, NLA -- so one would need developing, or use one of the exisiting ones. And Mark has made some progress with parts. I'd not want to see another batch if one couldn't take advantage to make a better driver yet.

AFAIC the onus is on the buyer to support any development costs.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
... "drop-in" replacement for EL70. Same form factor / dimensions, same impedance, same (or very close) T/S parameters.

Same form factor is no problem, the CHP/CHR share a basket (actually slightly improved, but same dimensions). One would need to question the need for a 2nd magnet/magnetic sheilding. 8 ohm impedance, IMO, would make it more versatile, the big thing is the T/S which are likely the biggest deviation from a hypothetical CHP70.3. The big one there the trade off of a larger box (Vas) to get more bass extension.

dave

anyone who's heard the EL70s would distinguish the difference

I know, I was being a smart a$$. :rolleyes:

My real plan is to do something with my CHR-70s and EL166s in the new year. But, this must come after a headboard as per my WAF.

Well, maybe there won't be anything like the EL70 again! Somehow I think that MA will do something along the lines of what Dave was suggesting and a CHP with the upper registers restored will come along. I suppose there could be a little Kickstarter style campaign to finance it.

Kyle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.