Audio Nirvana coax 15

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi There,

I was looking to buy a Audio Nirvana 15" Co-ax that come with a compression drive or to use a normal Audio Nirvana 15" with an external ribbon tweeter. I know many people tell me the AN 15" does not need an extra tweeter, but I am not convinced with a paper based cone.

Ideally the compression driver would be a better match than the ribbon tweeter, since it is built into the speaker driver. However I am clueless about how the sound characteristics of a compression driver?

Would love to hear some feedback if you have heard or used the AN 15" coax.

Thanking ahead.

Oon

Errr
Tell Melon that the tweeters he is talking about costs more than a pair of 15" AN.... sorry don't really have that much money, even if I sell both my kidneys... don't need kidneys to listen to music...:(

I have a pair of Mark and Daniels AMT. Or I might buy this one...

Bohlender Graebener Neo8-PDR Planar Transducer 264-713

Incidentally I will pm you to get his contact will probably want to ask more info from him.

I think the question from me is whether I shoudl get the coax or should I just get the supercast 15 and add in additional tweeter....

Or maybe get supercast 15 and then decide if I want to add in additional tweeter...

Oon

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
agree , but almost ;)

even if my hearing is ooked above 14-14,5K ( too many hours in front of stage on concerts ? :rofl: ) , I'm finding supertweet welcomed with coaxes and FR spks ; none of them is anywhere mentioned as lacking in upper region

whatever , I had same impression as you , but only after trying supertweet I change that opinion

usual disclaimer - YMMAMV ;)

I agree with Zen over there. Sometimes when you add a supertweeter to a system, there is a big improvement in sound. The sound can feel more airy. I heard the improvement even when you stick it in a 2 way unit. And definitely with my seas fa22 full range. It is not something you can hear per se, like this wasn't here earlier, now it is. Just a general feeling of clarity and when you take it off, it feels like something is missing.

I have a aurum cantus on another system but i might canibalise that and put it here...

Oon

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
and , as I said - you don't need left leg and right kidney value here - Eminence APT** is completely enough and dirt cheap

** - APT50 is code for naked driver , without plastic horn ; with horn it goes from 80 upwards , higher numbers having bigger horns and different coverage angles

taking ferofluid out clears things further

boyz from Zu are using it , same as guy in States ..... for improvement over basic Klipsch tweet , same as guys in Eu , making some expensive boxies with coax Eminences

not my cap of brew as tweet , but as helper tweet - more than good enough for sparkling some air

Last edited:
Whether the AN15 cast or the AN15 coax, it's a reasonably big outlay of cash so I understand why you'd like to choose the best option up front. Trouble is, I don't think enough folk on this forum have heard them both to offer you solid advice.

I've heard the AN15 and I don't feel a need for a super tweeter. Perhaps it's a case of you don't know what you are missing til you have had the chance to hear it but I don't feel rushed to go out and get one and then worry about how close I can mount it to the AN15 centre and what cross-over frequency it'll need and dispersion and all the rest. If I didn't think the AN15 would give me the treble I wanted, then I'd be tempted to consider the Coax. No diea how good the horn tweeter on the AN Coax is though.

There's a nice big speaker, one that may remind you of my recent Big'un, which uses a coax with horn tweeter by Hiraga - if you are looking for some inspiration.

I have not heard the an15.

Speaking on the an15, just because a driver can go up there or measure up there, doesn't mean it does it well (break up modes helping it seem like it goes high). And the dispersion of adding a supertweet will be helpfull for those off axis or in the back of the room.

I for one like a squeek of boosted high frequency, more of the fletcher munson curve (or loudness button) helpfull for low volume listening.

With the griffin jordan project, most preferred adding a ribbon at 5khz 12db crossed (I think, can't remember if jordan run wide open) compared to just having the jordan driver. There are times I love my piezo crossed in at 5khz with a 6.5" that shuts off at 5khz, very nice air and astonishing detail, really hearing into the fake reverb. Better intelligibility than any 2khz crossover, but a pair of 4" full rangers (in 1 box) did it even better. But the full rangers couldn't do high cymbals very well. I have not compared crossing in the piezo with/without using a full range driver.

I think your biggest decision is if you want the an15 or the an15 coax.
People love their tannoys probably because of the "point source".

I don't like the idea of the massive phase shift at 2khz that coax's have.
And improperly loading a compression driver is a bad idea (a 2" tube, barely any flare, and horrible mouth termination).
But it can be a welcome improvement to detail, distortion, and dispersion but your intelligibility will suffer.

It all depends on what you think sounds best.

Norman

Last edited:
I think i probably started the thread with a wrong footing. I probably should have used the term an 15 and a supertweeter instead. I would have been using the an15 full range and a tweeter to help up above 10khz. The other part i also neglected to mention is i would probably be using a home built f2j.

When i first got my seas fa22 i played it for quite a while before adding in the supertweeter. After that i couldn't get used to the sound without the supertweet.

That is why i am pretty convinced that i most likely need a supertweeter. For most people what they see is an extension of the hf frequency response. But what i think makes the difference is the handling of low level treble. These are much lower than 1 watt. More likely 1mW. If it produces 95db, then at 10mW it would be 75db. Which is still very loud. Which is why i guess the low level detail treble are more likely to be 1mW.

I have actually asked davis dicks on his opinion on the 2 speakers. Although the compression driver is coaxial i really don't know how it will perform in terms of sonic characteristics as a supertweeter. And from what i have been reading so far, they tend be higly directional. Which is the opposite of what i was looking for. High dispersion in all angles.

Very likely i would be getting the supercast 15. Then later figure out if i want to have it crossed at 10khz to the tweeter or just run it fullrange and fix in a supertweeter...

Oon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.