Audio Nirvana coax 15 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2012, 10:11 PM   #11
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Whether the AN15 cast or the AN15 coax, it's a reasonably big outlay of cash so I understand why you'd like to choose the best option up front. Trouble is, I don't think enough folk on this forum have heard them both to offer you solid advice.

I've heard the AN15 and I don't feel a need for a super tweeter. Perhaps it's a case of you don't know what you are missing til you have had the chance to hear it but I don't feel rushed to go out and get one and then worry about how close I can mount it to the AN15 centre and what cross-over frequency it'll need and dispersion and all the rest. If I didn't think the AN15 would give me the treble I wanted, then I'd be tempted to consider the Coax. No diea how good the horn tweeter on the AN Coax is though.

There's a nice big speaker, one that may remind you of my recent Big'un, which uses a coax with horn tweeter by Hiraga - if you are looking for some inspiration.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 12th October 2012, 11:14 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I have not heard the an15.

Speaking on the an15, just because a driver can go up there or measure up there, doesn't mean it does it well (break up modes helping it seem like it goes high). And the dispersion of adding a supertweet will be helpfull for those off axis or in the back of the room.

I for one like a squeek of boosted high frequency, more of the fletcher munson curve (or loudness button) helpfull for low volume listening.

With the griffin jordan project, most preferred adding a ribbon at 5khz 12db crossed (I think, can't remember if jordan run wide open) compared to just having the jordan driver. There are times I love my piezo crossed in at 5khz with a 6.5" that shuts off at 5khz, very nice air and astonishing detail, really hearing into the fake reverb. Better intelligibility than any 2khz crossover, but a pair of 4" full rangers (in 1 box) did it even better. But the full rangers couldn't do high cymbals very well. I have not compared crossing in the piezo with/without using a full range driver.

I think your biggest decision is if you want the an15 or the an15 coax.
People love their tannoys probably because of the "point source".

I don't like the idea of the massive phase shift at 2khz that coax's have.
And improperly loading a compression driver is a bad idea (a 2" tube, barely any flare, and horrible mouth termination).
But it can be a welcome improvement to detail, distortion, and dispersion but your intelligibility will suffer.

It all depends on what you think sounds best.

Norman

Last edited by norman bates; 12th October 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 13th October 2012, 04:38 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I think i probably started the thread with a wrong footing. I probably should have used the term an 15 and a supertweeter instead. I would have been using the an15 full range and a tweeter to help up above 10khz. The other part i also neglected to mention is i would probably be using a home built f2j.

When i first got my seas fa22 i played it for quite a while before adding in the supertweeter. After that i couldn't get used to the sound without the supertweet.

That is why i am pretty convinced that i most likely need a supertweeter. For most people what they see is an extension of the hf frequency response. But what i think makes the difference is the handling of low level treble. These are much lower than 1 watt. More likely 1mW. If it produces 95db, then at 10mW it would be 75db. Which is still very loud. Which is why i guess the low level detail treble are more likely to be 1mW.

I have actually asked davis dicks on his opinion on the 2 speakers. Although the compression driver is coaxial i really don't know how it will perform in terms of sonic characteristics as a supertweeter. And from what i have been reading so far, they tend be higly directional. Which is the opposite of what i was looking for. High dispersion in all angles.

Very likely i would be getting the supercast 15. Then later figure out if i want to have it crossed at 10khz to the tweeter or just run it fullrange and fix in a supertweeter...

Oon
Old 13th October 2012, 09:07 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I would suggest the AN 15. Add as you need or have a desire to. You could use it as a nice midbass in a 3 way if you dont like it FR, but if my experience with large diaghram drivers hold tru, you will love it.
Old 14th October 2012, 07:37 PM   #15
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree the Cast AN15 makes sense and since you already have the Mark and Daniels AMT why not just try it and see what you think. I for one would love to know what your findings are!
Old 14th October 2012, 07:43 PM   #16
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree the Cast AN15 makes sense and since you already have the Mark and Daniels AMT why not just try it and see what you think. I for one would love to know what your findings are!

Hide this!Advertise here!