EV 12SP's for Aristocrat cabinets ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2012, 01:42 PM   #1
kevinr is offline kevinr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default EV 12SP's for Aristocrat cabinets ?

Yesterday I bought a pair of Electro Voice Aristocrat cabinets on CL from an older gentleman in the neighborhood who is moving out of town . They appear to be a corner loaded transmission line design from the fifties which would be just right for the upstairs dormer room/office.
They are in decent shape and I think I can bring the wood veneer back with some minor work , Grilles and the removeable grille frame edges are all fine .Size looks to be a little over 2 cubic feet.
He also has a pair of EV 12SP full range speakers for sale for $120 which look to be in great shape although I didn't look at the cones closely since I didn't have any more cash at the moment after buying the Aristocrat cab and an Electro voice Regency cabinet from him.
I'm wondering if I should pick up the speakers although they seem a little pricey to me . I guess the concern for me is how much a factor the condition of the cone due to age would be . The frame looks like it could withstand a grenade hit but paper is a different issue.
I know they appear on eBay but shipping probably would be a lot due to weight . I don't know enough to make a call and wondered if anyone could recommend a yay or nay . I did see that EV offered several tweeter/horn/co-axial options on these , kind of a have it your way design . I'm thinking I may have to add a tweeter and crossover.
He also has an EV Wolverine speaker , I think a 12..... which looks impressive but is $70. Maybe simply getting a newer driver is the way to go , not sure .
Old 13th October 2012, 12:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default cricket

okay , I purchased a clean EV SP15 from him for the Regency cabinet from him . Maybe I can use that as a mono low end speaker in conjunction with a pair of 3 or 4 inch stereo full rangers like Alpairs or Fostex for a 2.1 setup in the living room.

I bought an EV SP12B and EV 12TRXB from him for the Aristocrat cabinets for the upstairs dormer and he threw in an older EV12 of unknown model # . I have to buy a Windows machine this fall for a new line of work and will probably buy some measuring software to take a look at these drivers.
Old 15th October 2012, 12:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The Wolverines are budget drivers with surrounds that are corrugated annuli of the cones themselves. The baskets are impressive cast pieces but don't look for low end. I'd love to find some EV from back in the day.
Old 15th October 2012, 01:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the Wolverine info 5/8ths . I knew Wolverines were the entry level for EV along with the Michigans,but that's about it .
The SP15 I bought is pretty impressive looking and I'm looking forward to mounting it in the Regency cabinet and giving it a listen .

Hide this!Advertise here!