EV 12SP's for Aristocrat cabinets ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yesterday I bought a pair of Electro Voice Aristocrat cabinets on CL from an older gentleman in the neighborhood who is moving out of town . They appear to be a corner loaded transmission line design from the fifties which would be just right for the upstairs dormer room/office.
They are in decent shape and I think I can bring the wood veneer back with some minor work , Grilles and the removeable grille frame edges are all fine .Size looks to be a little over 2 cubic feet.
He also has a pair of EV 12SP full range speakers for sale for $120 which look to be in great shape although I didn't look at the cones closely since I didn't have any more cash at the moment after buying the Aristocrat cab and an Electro voice Regency cabinet from him.
I'm wondering if I should pick up the speakers although they seem a little pricey to me . I guess the concern for me is how much a factor the condition of the cone due to age would be . The frame looks like it could withstand a grenade hit but paper is a different issue.
I know they appear on eBay but shipping probably would be a lot due to weight . I don't know enough to make a call and wondered if anyone could recommend a yay or nay . I did see that EV offered several tweeter/horn/co-axial options on these , kind of a have it your way design . I'm thinking I may have to add a tweeter and crossover.
He also has an EV Wolverine speaker , I think a 12..... which looks impressive but is $70. Maybe simply getting a newer driver is the way to go , not sure .

cricket

okay , I purchased a clean EV SP15 from him for the Regency cabinet from him . Maybe I can use that as a mono low end speaker in conjunction with a pair of 3 or 4 inch stereo full rangers like Alpairs or Fostex for a 2.1 setup in the living room.

I bought an EV SP12B and EV 12TRXB from him for the Aristocrat cabinets for the upstairs dormer and he threw in an older EV12 of unknown model # . I have to buy a Windows machine this fall for a new line of work and will probably buy some measuring software to take a look at these drivers.

Thanks for the Wolverine info 5/8ths . I knew Wolverines were the entry level for EV along with the Michigans,but that's about it .
The SP15 I bought is pretty impressive looking and I'm looking forward to mounting it in the Regency cabinet and giving it a listen .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.