Looking for enclosure ideas for FE206Es

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The first Karlson 12 aka "Karlsonette" which made its debut in fall of 1954, second K12 whose plan was published in the July 1954 issue of Popular Mechanics, and some guesstimate of the 3rd version of the 1960's are all in Greg B's folder along with SK8, XK8, a tested 28" tall slim K-coupler and more stuff - I have run FE206EN in SK8 and K12 plus should load it in my XK8 which is a high aspect Karlson-coupler. K12 kept its outside dimensions along the years but had subtle changes with baffle angle, and venting http://picasaweb.google./comgregmuon/STUPIDHIFITRICKS#

One box that hasn't been mentioned yet is Onur Illkorur's Singular -basically it's a folded constant cross section QW pipe with an internal Helmholtz resonator, presumably tuned to the 3rd or 5th harmonic (I haven't calculated it).

Not exactly a compact cabinet for what sounds a v. small room, but shoved back against a wall I suspect it will produce some respectable LF energy in that space.

has the intended venue changed from the original 100 ft^2 described in first post?

I have trouble imagining any of the larger enclosures that would no doubt work for the 206 fitting comfortably in that space and leaving room for even a single listener and bar stool

OK, I joke a bit - but the room is small, and might well be better served by a smaller driver

Assuming you don't want large boxes, you'd need a sub with the 206, so no difference there.

IMO, the most compact and simple to build system would be to put the 206's in small sealed enclosures, and add a pair of small subs to handle the bass and act as 'stands' for the Fostexes. I've done this with FE166E's and it worked pretty well. Pretty much the idea behind the Basszilla, or Bottlehead's SEXy design. In a 10 x 10 room the subs could be fairly small and still make adequate bass for music.

Bill

One box that hasn't been mentioned yet is Onur Illkorur's Singular -basically it's a folded constant cross section QW pipe with an internal Helmholtz resonator, presumably tuned to the 3rd or 5th harmonic (I haven't calculated it).

Not exactly a compact cabinet for what sounds a v. small room, but shoved back against a wall I suspect it will produce some respectable LF energy in that space.

I heard the Singulars with those very expensive AER drivers, which worked rather nicely, but they sure are big for the room of the OP.

Preferably, i recommend to build something with smaller drivers dfor that room. Markaudio comes to mind.
but I believe that the 206ens are already bought, in that case Horst's compact Trumpet-sat which I linked above seems like a good way put when combined with an active sub.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Use the natural roll-off of a sealed box as the filter.

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• FE206En-sealed2.gif
    FE206En-sealed2.gif
    26.7 KB · Views: 462
Im so glad I read this thread I bought a pair of 206e with phase plugs off ebay they were the right price in vented old kef boxes 54l in size and they had all the mid shout that was really starting to get me frustrated!

Dave thankyou

I looked on my workbench and yesterday my wife asked if I wanted some small hard plastic cups for my bits and pieces. Well i pulled the vent pipes out and stuffed those in perfect fit! vinyl on and transformed!!!

together with running single cat 5 its almost there whoopee The Co-Op billionaires pudding fix so im now full enjoying my Amp camp amp thanks again............now singular BiB or..........umm

Last edited:
BSC might be worth looking at - if the cabinet is missing that, you will get a very forward sound.

I suspect the FE206 won't go low in a sealed enclosure - perhaps if you added a subwoofer, the sound would balance out: having lots of treble extension but next to nothing <80Hz will also give a very forward sound.

I've wired a filament transformer to work as an ~ BSC network using one leg of a common 1K pot on the high impedance side of the transformer and the low impedance side of the transformer in series with the speaker - it will make some solid state amps sound something like a low damping factor tube amp. Ignore the cap below - that was just to measure the effect upon the reflected impedance. Decware should still sell their raw Gizmo transformers which should be better quality.

Karlson couplers work well with FE206EN and need no BSC The smallest coupler I tried was our forum's "SK8" (Super K8) and less than 2 cubic foot external bulk. Subjective quality was very good. FE206EN in a stock K12 can be exciting with a lot of punch for an 8" driver.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.