Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2012, 12:13 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Here is a very interesting design by Horst from Moreart. The FR driver is complemented by a woofer. I do think it looks great as well. The plan is not free, even so I expect to build one when I am back home within a year.

RDH
Old 9th October 2012, 12:23 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default FAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vix View Post
.......Now I am using those ML-TL boxes for experimenting with some woofers in FAST arrangement, it`s different story...
Hi there V: Sounds interesting, are you planning to post: ML-TL details, bass drivers, HF drivers, crossover hz, listening experience, any measurements? ...regards, Michael

Bob, Sretan, and Dave: thanks for the information regarding driver minus connection to driver frame, sounded zanny to me and your more experienced advice is appreciated....MD
Old 9th October 2012, 03:14 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

That Horst design looks interesting too(but complicated). I have a pair of Pioneer BOFU(?) fullrangers too.....
Old 9th October 2012, 03:44 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Indeed, Horst's horn is complicated but I think still more or less doable.
I also like the elegant 3 dimensional way of folding. I can imagine a similarly folded horn with only a full range driver (no helper woofer). On the other hand, for those who (like me) enjoy rock music as well as subtle jazz, horst's design with helper woofer is very clever indeed.
Old 9th October 2012, 11:39 AM   #25
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.michael droke View Post
Hi there V: Sounds interesting, are you planning to post: ML-TL details, bass drivers, HF drivers, crossover hz, listening experience, any measurements? ...regards, Michael
Not much to write home about. ML-TL box is a left over from the previous project, i.e. that box belongs is the original MJK ML-TL for Fostex FE206 which has been removed. Instead of throwing them away, they ended up in the basement. I just bought a pair of cheap no-name woofers (no specs)., and I was not willing to spend time measuring... Then I had some cheap FR's in the basement as well (car speakers) and I tried to make a mock-up FAST to see how it performs. To my surprise, compared to the money (not) invested, they can do pretty good, which is a plus for FAST concept. See thread here:

Quick 'n fast- F.A.S.T
Old 9th October 2012, 11:41 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana2112 View Post
That Horst design looks interesting too(but complicated). I have a pair of Pioneer BOFU(?) fullrangers too.....
Pioneer BOFU BiB was quite a success...

Or maybe Half-Chang...
Old 9th October 2012, 12:00 PM   #27
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vix View Post
Pioneer BOFU BiB was quite a success...

Or maybe Half-Chang...
FE206En BiB should be good too. But Big!

Not to discourage the OP, but in a 10 x 10 room, a different driver (smaller one more suitable to TL or BR boxes) would work better, and the cost saving in material (those big horns simply eat up 8' x 4' boards - folds, stepped deflectors and all ) and time might contribute towards recouping some of the cost at least. A slim TL would free up space in the room too and probably make palcement simpler.

For Full-range designs, my guess is that the EL-70 would work well, as would the Alpair-7.3 in a Pensil design. The TABAQ TL is also a compact design you can consider - can start off with low cost 3" drivers too - TB has some that work nicely in this design.
Old 9th October 2012, 12:27 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Often other drivers will work better in certain environment; but here we must suppose that the guy is stuck with a certain driver (Fostex FE206) and a certain room and that can't be changed. So, the idea is to find a box which will perform satisfactorily in this setting. BiB is large, but it is mostly height; its footprint is as any other conventional box. In such a room, if it can go into corners, it can throw large sound
Otherwise, Half-Chang seems to be a nice option, but it will need a BSC and perhaps a current (or valve) amplification to sound good...
As they say, pick your poison...
Old 9th October 2012, 12:34 PM   #29
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Agree, a BiB should be able to impress.
Old 9th October 2012, 04:06 PM   #30
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Another candidate for un-compromised performance from the 206 could be

Woden Design | Vulcan

Click the image to open in full size.

But I think the 10x10ft room would present a problem for any enclosure capable of extracting the full potential of this driver - and even if one could be devised that wouldn't encroach on the room (say in-wall / IB etc), the acoustic properties of the room will still likely get in the way

This is the kind of space in which 3-4" full ranger in small bookshelf style enclosures tend to shine - jus sayin

Hide this!Advertise here!