Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2012, 01:47 PM   #1
kumori is offline kumori  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Mini Monitor with EL70

Hallo,

I would like to build a small mini monitor with the EL70 as a first speaker build. (I already have good experience with woodworking as well as diy electronics)
The EL70 sound like a good choice here in the forum and I already found a nice design, the mmar-kel70, by planet10 which would fit perfectly (sizewise).

I do not need deep bass here, because it would be used in a small room with a 49Hz roommode, so a roll-off at about 70Hz would be fine. However, I read a few times, that one would hear, that the enclosure of the mmar-kel is quite small.

So, a question to the mmar-kel 70 experienced people: Does this mean the speaker sounds in some way compromised? Or is it just the lack of deeper bass?

The alternative would be to make an own custom sealed cabinet: Is it "easy" to just use any, let´s say 7 liter, cabinet with the EL70 and it would turn out ok?

Thanks for any advice,
Flo
Old 5th October 2012, 02:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I built the mMar-kel having heard both enclosures because I wanted a smaller speaker. The difference between it and the larger cabinet is really apparent when you switch from one to the other but by it's self I think you' be very satisfied with the mMar. The bass from the larger cabinet sounds like it's taking less effort to make and I think delivers it more cleanly.

Kyle
Old 5th October 2012, 03:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your reply.
I am a little bit pessimistic:

Quote:
The bass from the larger cabinet sounds like it's taking less effort to make and I think delivers it more cleanly.
...would mean, there is not much bass, it sounds a little forced, and is a bit flabby.

The thing is: if I have not much bass, I would like it at least to be well articulated and fast. Maybe a slightly bigger sealed box would be more optimal?
Old 5th October 2012, 04:28 PM   #4
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

I just finished veneering a pair of Mmar-Kel70's and think they're great. I have them hooked up to a restored/recapped Marantz 2225 (25w/ch) and they make the Marantz sound fantastic! I need to state, however, that I've never hear the EL70s in any other cabinet.

While I do have twin subwoofers (SDX-7s) with this system (Marantz tape out to a PLLXO at 110hz and amped with a Dayton), often I won't turn on the subs and I'm fine. For some reason the Dayton chip amp, when turned on, negatively affects FM reception, so when listening to FM, no subs.

I've listen to many drivers in this Mmar cab and EL70s are my favorite match. I recommend going with this cab and you can always add a plain vanilla sub if you want more bass.

Mario
Old 5th October 2012, 06:07 PM   #5
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

I built a mMar-Kel70 recently and have been impressed with what it does given the size of the cabinet and driver. Driven with a Hypex UcD it gives clear mids and high frequencies and articulate bass. The Deci-size cabinet would be even better (what I gather from various posts).
Old 5th October 2012, 06:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumori View Post
Thanks for your reply.
I am a little bit pessimistic:

...would mean, there is not much bass, it sounds a little forced, and is a bit flabby.

The thing is: if I have not much bass, I would like it at least to be well articulated and fast. Maybe a slightly bigger sealed box would be more optimal?
No, it's not flabby and there is plenty of it for my taste. The sound difference between the small and large cabinets is hard to describe. The EL70 is well regarded to be extremely versatile and there are many proven cabinet designs.

I don't think you'd be disappointed. Also, if you buy the plan set from Planet 10 Hifi there is a really sharp trapezoidal design in there that might fit between the mMar and the Mar. I have been considering it.

KM
Old 5th October 2012, 06:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi, ok, it seems i was a little too pessimistic.
It probably turns out to be a mmar-kel70 after all, unless...

I am googling the diy speaker basics right now. Just in case, that I decide to built my own "design". In my mind it is quite simple: Wooden box, some foam, and a big hole in the front: finished sealed loudspeaker...

Ok, serious now: how difficult is it to built a sealed bookshelf speaker with a FR-driver?
This is maybe the most simple speaker to built, so I am considering to give it a try.
Can there much go wrong with the EL70?
Old 5th October 2012, 06:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Also, if you buy the plan set from Planet 10 Hifi there is a really sharp trapezoidal design in there that might fit between the mMar and the Mar. I have been considering it.
Can you give point me to that design?
I have been browsing the planet 10 site a while now but did not see that yet.
Old 5th October 2012, 06:46 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

It's not on the site because it's part of the paid set. Dave can post an image I am sure.

Several people have built the EL70 into a sealed box and then used some EQ to get the bass back. Tuxedocivic has some set up this way.

LINK

Kyle
Old 5th October 2012, 06:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I put mine in a sealed box for desktop use. The bass is pathetic. Because it's sealed. It's to be expected you'll lose nearly an octave of bass going sealed. Which is huge. I did this intentionally because I use eq to bring the bass back up. But if this is for livingroom use, don't even think about it. You'll run out of amp and/or excursion very quickly. If it's for desktop use, well, it's pretty hard to beat

EDIT - Ah, posting while you posted Kyle. Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!